Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 14:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Again +1 to what Rocky said - do not use rubber bushes. Get the hole completely leveled out.

Even though not commercially announced, I reckon Sudev works for a company that is into GPS vehicle tracking. PM him for details.
Old 18th May 2010, 18:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Raj partner, (pun intended, Sharukh ishtyle)
Behram is here, no fear

Dont use rubber bushings to blank out the keyholes. You could use what offroaders use to close out plugs/holes (maybe steel, putty and paint).

I sincerely hope, Behram's idea hits the nail on the thief's coffin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Again +1 to what Rocky said - do not use rubber bushes. Get the hole completely leveled out.

Even though not commercially announced, I reckon Sudev works for a company that is into GPS vehicle tracking. PM him for details.
the only fear i have is of aesthetics. after levelling out the keyholes, i am not sure how good it would look. i am not sure of the finishing of the work.

i do understand the importance of it but honestly i dont want to spoil the exterior looks in the process. still, i will try it out.
Old 18th May 2010, 21:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
...i do understand the importance of it but honestly i dont want to spoil the exterior looks in the process. still, i will try it out.
This might be classified as paranoid, but how about using MSeal? Take some and stuff it inside the key hole. No changes in the exterior, but try to insert a key and you get a hard block!
Old 18th May 2010, 22:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
the only fear i have is of aesthetics. after levelling out the keyholes, i am not sure how good it would look. i am not sure of the finishing of the work.

i do understand the importance of it but honestly i dont want to spoil the exterior looks in the process. still, i will try it out.
Glad to see that your car was saved, I can imagine how scary it feels.

few years back similar incident happened with my elder brother in Mumbai and his car was lifted 2-3 later after breaking in the petrol lock.
After few months the car was recovered while it was on way to other state for selling.

How about Getting the Lock Removed, the back side of LOCK broken/cut so the door lock lever is no-longer attached to the lock, then Re-install the lock.
Also fill the rotating parts with ARALDITE.

this would keep the original looks, and the IDIOTS would not be able to turn the Key hole even if they bring any length screw driver/tool, but they'll spend lot of time and break many keys to get inside the CAR.

I might try this on Santro, as if i remember correctly I've never used Key hole in 4 yrs.

Lastly the Idea given by Rocky on page 2 of this thread is excellent and can be executed electronically to delay the start of the vehicle.
Most car lifters leave it if the car is not taken over in 5-10 mins, the longer it takes the least interested they get.
This is confirmed by one of my friend's brother who is in police as a senior SHO in NCR.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This might be classified as paranoid, but how about using MSeal? Take some and stuff it inside the key hole. No changes in the exterior, but try to insert a key and you get a hard block!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Glad to see that your car was saved, I can imagine how scary it feels.

few years back similar incident happened with my elder brother in Mumbai and his car was lifted 2-3 later after breaking in the petrol lock.
After few months the car was recovered while it was on way to other state for selling.

How about Getting the Lock Removed, the back side of LOCK broken/cut so the door lock lever is no-longer attached to the lock, then Re-install the lock.
Also fill the rotating parts with ARALDITE.

this would keep the original looks, and the IDIOTS would not be able to turn the Key hole even if they bring any length screw driver/tool, but they'll spend lot of time and break many keys to get inside the CAR.

I might try this on Santro, as if i remember correctly I've never used Key hole in 4 yrs.

Lastly the Idea given by Rocky on page 2 of this thread is excellent and can be executed electronically to delay the start of the vehicle.
Most car lifters leave it if the car is not taken over in 5-10 mins, the longer it takes the least interested they get.
This is confirmed by one of my friend's brother who is in police as a senior SHO in NCR.
hey, thanks a lot guys. i never thought about this.

i can purchase a lock set & paste it to the body using industrial glue, this will make it difficult for the thief to pry it out.

also, i can fill the inside of the lock with the same glue so that no keys goes inside. so, even if the thief manages to pry out the lock, he cannot make a duplicate key.

that will work, isnt it? it will have the same exterior look & also be relatively safer.
Old 19th May 2010, 07:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...i can purchase a lock set & paste it to the body using industrial glue, this will make it difficult for the thief to pry it out...
Don't use the new set. Use only a new ignition key set. For the door key, use the existing one and blank them out as mentioned. Since they have been compromised, they make the best candidate for a permanent block.
Old 19th May 2010, 08:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

the existing one has only two locks buddy, one from the passenger door is with the thief!
Old 19th May 2010, 09:12   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the existing one has only two locks buddy, one from the passenger door is with the thief!
My bad! Forgot about that!

For the time being, where is the guy parked? I hope he is parked farthest inside your garage.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:23   #54
BHPian

Firstly, must confess that i do not have an idea on where the immobilizer code is saved/resides.
Assuming it resides in the memory module of the ECU, is such a theft scenario possible? That is:
1) steal a lock from the occupant side door,
2) procure an ECU with a well-known immobilizer code,
3) prepare a key using the stolen lock, such that the RFID portion of the key belongs to that which pairs with the well-known immobilizer, while the grooves/slots in the key are fabricated to match with the to-be-stolen car's lock,
4) open the hood of the car and replace the ECU with the well-known one,
5) drive away the car without any issues.

Might sound stupid, but please share your thoughts. Else, for someone to break into a code is a tedious task, while the above seems more do-able.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:56   #55
BHPian

Quote:
hey, thanks a lot guys. i never thought about this.

i can purchase a lock set & paste it to the body using industrial glue, this will make it difficult for the thief to pry it out.

also, i can fill the inside of the lock with the same glue so that no keys goes inside. so, even if the thief manages to pry out the lock, he cannot make a duplicate key.

that will work, isnt it? it will have the same exterior look & also be relatively safer.
Yes Raj, thats a neat idea and doesnt spoil the aesthetics as well. Just ensure that even if the pseudo lock is removed, the thief cannot insert anything via the hole, by plugging it on the inside. (like Suresh says, mseal will do)
Old 19th May 2010, 13:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad! Forgot about that!

For the time being, where is the guy parked? I hope he is parked farthest inside your garage.
right now, he is parked in our society compound with a watchman beside him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Firstly, must confess that i do not have an idea on where the immobilizer code is saved/resides.
Assuming it resides in the memory module of the ECU, is such a theft scenario possible? That is:
1) steal a lock from the occupant side door,
2) procure an ECU with a well-known immobilizer code,
3) prepare a key using the stolen lock, such that the RFID portion of the key belongs to that which pairs with the well-known immobilizer, while the grooves/slots in the key are fabricated to match with the to-be-stolen car's lock,
4) open the hood of the car and replace the ECU with the well-known one,
5) drive away the car without any issues.

Might sound stupid, but please share your thoughts. Else, for someone to break into a code is a tedious task, while the above seems more do-able.
the older scorpios does not come with RFID tech buddy. the new refresh scorpios have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Yes Raj, thats a neat idea and doesnt spoil the aesthetics as well. Just ensure that even if the pseudo lock is removed, the thief cannot insert anything via the hole, by plugging it on the inside. (like Suresh says, mseal will do)
yes, the keyhole will be plugged with m seal.

by the way, just visited micro technologies today for the GSM car security system-
MicroVBB

i will be installing the 'Elite' model within 2 days-
http://www.microvbb.net/pdf/vbb_elite.pdf
Old 19th May 2010, 14:14   #57
BHPian

Hey Raj, that is a scary thing that happened to your car. But now, in case the thief used the door lock to make another key, unless you change the ingition lock, doesn't it mean that he has the ingition key for your car now? Therefore, I suggest that you change all the locks in the car. As has already happened, the door may be opened again. But we don't want the thief to just turn the lock and drive away (assuming he can fool the immobiliser).

All the best to you.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

yes buddy, my mahindra A.S.S has only one lock set right now. so for now, atleast to make the car road worthy, tomorrow i will be installing new locks on the door.

i have already ordered for another lock set which will arrive next week. that will be installed for the ignition.
Old 20th May 2010, 16:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about attempt of theft of your car.

On one morning i parked my getz infront of bowring club near MG road bangalore. My office is near bowring. In the afternoon i saw left door is open and is not closed. I got a remote locking which beeps if i have not closed a door.
I went inside and checked music system, documents and everything was in place. Till date i dont know why was the door open? Did some body made an attempt to steal my car?
Old 20th May 2010, 17:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

Update:

1) Went to the A.S.S today & got the locks changed, new indicator fitted & hooter working. Changed the password of the immobilizer as well. it seems that the thief inserted a stick from the grille & cut the wiring of the hooter which disabled it. shorting the side indicator was just done to prevent the indicators from blinking.

2) Visiting bandra tomorrow to get MicroVBB Elite Black Box installed.

Total expense till now- Rs. 3500/-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks