Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 23:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio VLX theft attempt

Hey guys, in a very unfortunate incident today, a theft attempt happened with my beloved scorpio.

I stay in hiranandani, powai. Me & 3 of my friends had gone for a dinner nearby. for those who know, we had gone to hotel mantra & the car was parked close to pizza hut. i had parked the car around 8.25pm & we returned at around 9.20pm.

from a distance, i could see that the interior lights of my car were ON. i asked my friends that how is it on & they were clueless. i pressed the remote unlock button & surprisingly the hooter dint chirp. i thought the battery drained but then i was puzzled how could a small bulb drain a battery within a hour. i pulled the door handle & the door dint open. i pressed the remote unlock button again & the door opened but this time, again without the hooter chirping. as soon as i sat in the driver's seat, i saw that the glovebox was opened & all its contents were lying on the floor. second thing i noticed was that the tilt mechanism of the steering wheel was loose. i panicked for a moment & looked around for any missing things but noticed that all my vehicle papers, the music system, etc. was in place. i dismissed the thought for a moment till i reach home.

after, i reached home & parked the car, i noticed that the side indicator bulb on the right fender has been pried open & the wires inside were cut. why was that done? to short something? whats the use? will that stop the alarm from hooting?

and the last shocker which confirmed my apprehensions was when i moved to the left side of the vehicle. i noticed that the front passenger door lock was missing. there was a huge gaping hole in its place. it was pried open with a screwdriver & the marks could clearly be seen on the door. it has left a dent on the door.

now this is what comes to my mind-
1) the thief shorted the wire from the side indicator to disable the hooter (i am assuming this)
2) the thief pried open the lock & opened the front passenger door & gained entry inside my car. this activated the immobilizer.
3) he opened the glovebox to enter the password.

{ now for those who dont know, all scorpios (pre refresh ones) comes with a password enabled security system. the defaut password is 1111 which the owners are supposed to change/customize. but most of the owners dont do this. if someone breaks into your car, your car will be immobilized & it can only be started by you after you enter the correct password.

now, the thief must have assumed that even i have not changed the default password & he opened the glovebox to enter 1111 to de-activate the immobilizer. but that dint work since my password is something else. }

4) since he entered the wrong password, the car refused to start. he aborted his attempt.

Points to note:
1) he did not take my car's music system or anything else. he was just there for the car.
2) he was experienced enough & he knew where the scorpio's buttons are for de-activating the immobilizer.
3) my car is with me today because i took the small & wise effort to change the password.

I request all the pre-refresh scorpio owners (the refresh scorpios comes with the latest & advanced i-cat system) to please please please change the password as soon as possible. its not worth trying your luck, believe me.

i am feeling horrible. though my car is with me & the only expense i have is a broken lock, but i am feeling totally horrible. my baby was broken into, she was pried with a screwdriver... why did this happen to me?

i again request all scorpio owners to be extra cautious.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 16th May 2010 at 23:33.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2010, 23:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

That's very unfortunate, Raj. Install a gear lock, and park only in safe places.

I got a doubt though. Even if he enters the right password, how would he get to start the car without the key?
Old 16th May 2010, 23:34   #3
BHPian

Damn, I hate the way the guy confidently got into your car without raising any alarm from passersby. Wonder what would have happened had he known a way to deactivate the immobiliser without a Pin. Is that a shady (as in evil) area Raj, where you parked your car?

May you never have to see this again.
Old 16th May 2010, 23:38   #4
BHPian

Raj,

This is awful - I am glad that you changed the immobolizer code.

Atleast one factor within several factors in security chain worked and hence you have the vehicle still with you. I wonder if there is any diagnostic output available which can confirm an attempt to input worng password to deactivate the immobolizer.
Old 16th May 2010, 23:45   #5
MX6
Senior - BHPian

All this happened in a busy place like powai pizza hut on a sunday night? Man, this is the heights. Get a thorough check of your scorpio. You wouldn't want to find anything planted in your car. Hard to trust anyone in such times.
Old 17th May 2010, 00:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

guys, i came across this thread-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...st-stolen.html

if you read the first point-
Quote:
a) The passenger front door lock was removed so that a key could be made
i am afraid as my car's front passenger door lock is missing too. we went to that area (where my scorpio was standing) to search the door lock & we dint find it.

now i am scared as the thief has my door lock & hence he can easily make keys of my car. saving grace is that even if the opens the car with the keys & not with the actual remote, the immobilizer will still be activated & he needs know my password to de-activate it.

but what if he knows to override/cheat the immobilzer. he has the keys & can easily drive away my car. this is terrible. i am scared to take my car out of my society premises now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
That's very unfortunate, Raj. Install a gear lock, and park only in safe places.

I got a doubt though. Even if he enters the right password, how would he get to start the car without the key?
have a look at the link above buddy. a gear lock & steering lock was easily broken.

he must have taken the door lock to make a key so that he can start my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Damn, I hate the way the guy confidently got into your car without raising any alarm from passersby. Wonder what would have happened had he known a way to deactivate the immobiliser without a Pin. Is that a shady (as in evil) area Raj, where you parked your car?

May you never have to see this again.
no buddy, infact its quite a busy street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Raj,

This is awful - I am glad that you changed the immobolizer code.

Atleast one factor within several factors in security chain worked and hence you have the vehicle still with you. I wonder if there is any diagnostic output available which can confirm an attempt to input worng password to deactivate the immobolizer.
i doubt mahindra's capability now. infact i am more tensed to go to the mahindra A.S.S now to get the locks changed.

i have heard many horror stories of mahindra A.S.S working hand in gloves with these thieves. what if they make a duplicate key of my new door locks before fitting them onto my car? and then pass it on to a thief with my address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
All this happened in a busy place like powai pizza hut on a sunday night? Man, this is the heights. Get a thorough check of your scorpio. You wouldn't want to find anything planted in your car. Hard to trust anyone in such times.
sure thing, tomorrow morning, i will check the car inside out.
Old 17th May 2010, 00:31   #7
BHPian

Sorry to hear about that Raj.
Terrible to hear such a thing.I think you can register a case saying of attempt to rob or something similar.not very sure whether it applies to cars.I think you should be a little more careful while parking.at times in busy places people are less suspecting.in case you park anywhere in public make sure you note the ticket attendant and tell him to keep a watch.scorpio's are easily sold of later to party workers who can easily handle the cops.this atleast is the scene in the south or the parts are sold of too..
Please Change your locks asap and try fixing an after market alarm that chirps even when there is a short.i'm sure it's available.
Take care
Old 17th May 2010, 02:28   #8
BHPian

Raj, sad to read that. I posted a suggestion to use an external / mechanical steering lock but deleted it after reading the post that a steering / gear lock was broken too. Scary. Take care.

Last edited by Iluvcars : 17th May 2010 at 02:35.
Old 17th May 2010, 02:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj, that's very sad to hear the attempt to steal, however glad that the thieves couldn't succeed. I pray that thief shouldn't be able to steal any vehicle.

Try installing a chor switch.

The immobilizer is the one main reason why cars in NCR are robbed at gun point, with owner taken for a short drive before dumped at isolated place. Here the thieves do not want to do that much efforts.

Are you going to police for a complaint ?
Old 17th May 2010, 05:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Raj - I'm shocked to hear this happening to you. Is this place a low light area? I don't think you'll take any such chances to park in low light area. Its Sunday night right & how come not even a single soul from Pizza hut couldn't notice this? But thank your stars & Monday morning first thing, go to Mahindra's service centre & get the lock & other things fixed. If possible change the lock set completely (may be with insurance) & sit with them the entire day if possible, so that they don't come back with excuses for not fixing all this in a single day & you can have peaceful nights.
Old 17th May 2010, 07:30   #11
BHPian

@RAJ - It's really shocking that it happened a place like Powai.
Lucky that nothing more happened.
Old 17th May 2010, 07:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Oh man this is bad.
We are getting a Mhawk Later this week,and i am already getting goosebumps regarding its safety.
What kind of security system\immobilizer does Mhawk refresh have?
Old 17th May 2010, 08:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
Sorry to hear about that Raj.
Terrible to hear such a thing.I think you can register a case saying of attempt to rob or something similar.not very sure whether it applies to cars.I think you should be a little more careful while parking.at times in busy places people are less suspecting.in case you park anywhere in public make sure you note the ticket attendant and tell him to keep a watch.scorpio's are easily sold of later to party workers who can easily handle the cops.this atleast is the scene in the south or the parts are sold of too..
Please Change your locks asap and try fixing an after market alarm that chirps even when there is a short.i'm sure it's available.
Take care
yes, i do admit that the place was not too busy but it was well lit.

i will consider parking only in "pay & park" now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Hi Raj, that's very sad to hear the attempt to steal, however glad that the thieves couldn't succeed. I pray that thief shouldn't be able to steal any vehicle.

Try installing a chor switch.

The immobilizer is the one main reason why cars in NCR are robbed at gun point, with owner taken for a short drive before dumped at isolated place. Here the thieves do not want to do that much efforts.

Are you going to police for a complaint ?
whats a chor switch buddy?

no, right now, i am not filing any police complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Raj - I'm shocked to hear this happening to you. Is this place a low light area? I don't think you'll take any such chances to park in low light area. Its Sunday night right & how come not even a single soul from Pizza hut couldn't notice this? But thank your stars & Monday morning first thing, go to Mahindra's service centre & get the lock & other things fixed. If possible change the lock set completely (may be with insurance) & sit with them the entire day if possible, so that they don't come back with excuses for not fixing all this in a single day & you can have peaceful nights.
no buddy, it was a well lit area. but its not bang outside pizza hut but a little away from it. i admit it was not too crowded though.

but surprisingly, i have my IMS classes every monday & wednesday in that same complex & this is the exact spot i have been parking my car for the past 3 weeks. nobody has touched it till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Oh man this is bad.
We are getting a Mhawk Later this week,and i am already getting goosebumps regarding its safety.
What kind of security system\immobilizer does Mhawk refresh have?
the new mHawk has an i-cat system which is present in the high end cars and also my innova. it is relatively safer but apparently a friend of mine says it is very easy to crack too.

now guys, i was thinking of the following solution-

1) my door lock was missing. so i assume it was taken out to make a duplicate key for the ignition. there are two cases- (1) the thief made the duplicate key but could not start the car bacause of my personalized password. (2) he dint reach in time & we were just plain lucky to have arrived before he ran with the vehicle.
i assume new locks will come in a set of 4, two for the front doors each, one for the ignition & one for the boot door. i am thinking of buying 2 different sets of door locks (4 locks in each set). one set will be used for the doors & one from a different set will be used for the ignition. so that even if a thief makes a duplicate key from the door locks, he wont be able to start the car with that key.

2) a GPS tracking device.

here, i am attaching the pics. the pics show how the wires were cut from the side indicator on the RHS fender. also, it shows the missing LHS door lock. i have just taped the exposed wires to prevent any short circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio VLX theft attempt-dsc_0162-large.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio VLX theft attempt-dsc_0163-large.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio VLX theft attempt-dsc_0164-large.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio VLX theft attempt-dsc_0165-large.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio VLX theft attempt-dsc_0166-large.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio VLX theft attempt-dsc_0167-large.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th May 2010 at 08:45.
Old 17th May 2010, 09:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why were the indicator wires cut???
i mean how can it help in gaining entry in the car?
or was it done,just to prevent it from flashing

Last edited by akshay4587 : 17th May 2010 at 09:03.
Old 17th May 2010, 09:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

ooh man, thats a very cleverly done job. The thief managed to get the wires out without removing the side indicator. Seems a professional.

I somehow agree with your point number 1, to have ignition key different than the door lock key, so that the thief will keep on trying to start the vehicle even if he makes a duplicate key. (let me tell you, thats a very very cracking idea)

GPS anyway, is the best solution, but some people say it can be overpowered.

Chor switch will be a switch hidden somewhere, which when off, your car wont get fuel and it wont start, thief may need quite sometime to get to know the location of this chor switch. Now, while thinking about it, I got an idea to have a remote for this switch, so that you can switch off even with remote. This will be good for a robbery attempt at gunpoint too, as I will have it as a normal keychain in my other pocket. If thieves take the car, I can atleast stall it with this remote. and they will keep on searching whats the problem.

Manuuj: Shatrughna: Share your inputs, what do you guys think ?

Last edited by tanwaramit : 17th May 2010 at 09:56.

Most Viewed