Team-BHP - Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/81818-bad-pedestrians-how-do-you-spot-them-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaeJay (Post 2284115)
.. AND THE WORST IS THE EDUCATED IT ENABLED LOT THAT POSTS THINGS OUT HERE AND JUMP EVERY SIGNAL ON THEIR WAY HOME OR OFFICE!..

first of all, this is not the right thread for your post. it should be either in the accident pics thread or the bad drivers, how do you spot them thread!

secondly, DON'T generalize. i'm one of those educated IT enabled lot that posts things out here, but i don't jump signal on my way to office, home or anywhere for that matter. :mad:

Quote:

.. what do we do with all these clowns running their ride on OMR and ECR breaking rules and laws with their t-bhp stickers ?
Nothing I guess, but none of my rides are getting those stickers while we got some enthu rides doing all the glory!

seriously, what are you getting at?

In Pune or for that matter in most of our cities there are no footpaths worth their use, no subways at busy intersections (even if there are some people refuse to use them), cars not always following traffic signals. These issues definitely are te contributing factors for the way the pedestrians act sometimes. But still the pedestrians who try cross the road in busy running traffic frustrate me.

Just to narrate my experience. Was driving on a two lane roads with both the lanes packed with vehicles but moving with deccent speed. See a young couple standing in between the 2 lanes of traffic trying to cross the road. By the time i reach them they indicate me with their hand to stop. I slow down to allow them to cross. I expect them to quickly go across and stand on the divider. But no. They cross at their leisurely pace while chit chatting. :Frustrati

@amitwlele can you imagine that! Just faced the exact same thing today. Where in pune did yhis happen?
Also this is OT but later on, someone signalled me to stop and i obliged as it was safe to do so and they thanked me. Felt SO good!
So experinced both the head bashing and sheer bliss on the same day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsaab (Post 2284966)
@amitwlele can you imagine that! Just faced the exact same thing today. Where in pune did yhis happen?
Also this is OT but later on, someone signalled me to stop and i obliged as it was safe to do so and they thanked me. Felt SO good!
So experinced both the head bashing and sheer bliss on the same day.

This happened on Paud Road. But doesn't really matter actually. It happens regularly on almost all the Pune roads. I am not surprised that you experienced it. :D

Good to hear about people being courteous on the road. And congrats to you as well for being a safe driver. clap:

If someone signals me to stop while they are trying to cross the road, I almost always oblige unless I am putting myself at risk (such as a speeding vehicle closely following me). It's good when someone signals because then there's no confusion in making the decisions.

I was once at the signal near the Venky's (on Sinhagad road?) when I saw an old man crossing the street, despite the oncoming traffic having a green signal. I quipped that he's from the times of the Peshvas (Peshve-kaleen). My passengers looked at me quizzically and then I explained, "See, there were no signals when Peshvas ruled Pune!".

OT, but I sometimes think people in Pune should be riding horses instead of riding/driving automobiles. At least the horses can use their own brains to ensure they and others have a smoot and safe passage!

Back to the topic:

When I had newly joined my current company, it was monsoon in Mumbai. One morning as I was driving to work, at the Goregaon Checknaka signal there were puddles of water. I drove through them and then stopped at the signal, waiting to turn left. Suddenly there was a man wildly waving his hands and trying to attract my attention. The car windows were up due to the rains and mud being splashed from other vehicles. I rolled the passenger window down, and to my horror I realized that man was angry with me because I had managed to splash water on him! With the windows being covered in muddy water, I had never seen that man walking on the side of the road as I had passed through the puddle.

I felt ashamed. As the signal turned green, I took the left turn and then seeing a vacant space I stopped and got out of the car. The man too took the same turn and approached. I apologized to him and offered to buy him a new shirt (which was the least I could do). To my surprise he too said Sorry to me! He declined my offer and walked away. He was obviously pissed off as he was going to work, and I understood his anger.

I have resolved to drive ever so gently through puddles. I don't want anyone splashing dirty water on me again, and most of all I don't want to do it to anyone else again.

@honeybee
That definately was a kind gesture, It was really nice to see that you stopped your vehicle when you saw an open gap and had the chance, to come out and speak to the person. most people just drive off dismissing the situation.

adding one more type of bad pedestrian. they signal you to stop so they can cross. then smile and laugh after you have done so and dont end up crossing and just chatting with each other. geez what we drivers have to go through!

Just read this article from TOI...victim of road rage..a classic example of bad pedistrians :(

Rage on Brigade’s, man stabbed

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: In a shocking road-rage incident, two teenagers stabbed a 33-year-old businessman on bustling Brigade Road around 6pm on Tuesday. Eyewitnesses said an argument broke out between Sumith, the businessman, and the teenagers, following which one of them pulled out a button knife and stabbed him in his stomach, in full view of bystanders.
Sumith, from Binnamangala, was admitted to St Philomena’s hospital, where he is said to be recovering from the stab injury.
Police took some some time to ascertain the age of the two boys, who appeared to be minors. Later, they registered a case under Section 307 of the IPC (attempt to murder) against Akhil Joshi, 18, and Mohammed Ishan, 19, both from Kerala.
Police said Sumith was in a jeep with his friends, when Akhil, Ishan and a girl walked on to Brigade Road, in front of KFC. Apparently, the jeep brushed against one of the three, who were jaywalking. This sparked off an argument between the inmates of the jeep and the trio. Sumith got out of the jeep and a fight broke out. Ishan pulled out a knife and stabbed Sumith on the left side of his stomach.
Police said Akhil and Ishan are in police detention. Police recovered the 2.5-inch-long button knife, which Ishan had used. “From their mannerism, they looked very young. When we asked for documents for identification, they claimed they had lost their wallets during the incident,” said Raghavendra B R, police sub-inspector, Ashok Nagar police station.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 2285277)
Just read this article from TOI...victim of road rage..a classic example of bad pedistrians :(

Rage on Brigade’s, man stabbed

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: In a shocking road-rage incident, two teenagers stabbed a 33-year-old businessman on bustling Brigade Road around 6pm on Tuesday....

This happened a few days back. Last reported, they were taken to some jail.

But seriously, what's gotten to them:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 2277443)
Some moron pedestrian had darted across after the vehicles had started to move, and this was the result. He had gone away, blissfully ignorant of the mayhem he caused. But strictly speaking he alone should not be cursed - we all were culprits of not giving enough gap for the vehicle ahead. And this had to happen to me after 25 years on the saddle.:Frustrati

Glad to know you both are safe. I think most pedestrian crossings in Chennai do not have signals.At unmarked signals, pedestrians have the right of way. And even if this did happen at a signal, it could've been that vehicles started moving when it was still green for pedestrians. So what exactly was that happened?

Quote:

AND THE WORST IS THE EDUCATED IT ENABLED LOT THAT POSTS THINGS OUT HERE AND JUMP EVERY SIGNAL ON THEIR WAY HOME OR OFFICE!

How can you have to say that?? I dont find any sense in your statement. What tangible proof / experience do you have, in order to be able to say that TeamBHPians break traffic rules, esp. one's who are active on the street experiences sections??? And how can you say these people are " IT enabled"?? IMO, TBHPians are better when it comes to following rules on the road, if not perfect.

Here's an interesting observation. On my daily commute I pass two stations, Ghansoli and Rabale (on the Thane - Turbhe line). There's a flyover outside Ghansoli station which allows vehicles plying straight to bypass the station and directly drive towards Thane or Belapur. Rabale station has no such flyover, so there's a junction without signals.

At the Ghansoli station, commuters can resort to one of two ways to cross safely from the station side to the other side: One way is they take the subway/underpass below the flyover and come out on the other side and cross the road. Safe because most vehicles pass from the flyover and there's hardly any vehicular traffic on the roads below. Second is to walk till the Mahape signal and then cross the street at the signal, when the relevant traffic is halted. What the people do? They walk a short stretch, cross the road and CLIMB UP on the flyover (where the ascent starts), cross over to the centre of the flyover (near the divider but on the wrong side) and keep walking towards the signal. Go figure!

And at Rabale, the people wait in a group for the vehicles to give way, sometimes flagging them down. And when you stop to let them pass, you are rewarded with a generous Thank You (some even shout it to make sure the motorists hear them).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo (Post 2285740)
Glad to know you both are safe. I think most pedestrian crossings in Chennai do not have signals.At unmarked signals, pedestrians have the right of way. And even if this did happen at a signal, it could've been that vehicles started moving when it was still green for pedestrians. So what exactly was that happened?

Since I was a few vehicle lengths behind, I could not see what exactly happened and it was only my surmise. There could be no other reason for vehicles to stop so suddenly, and the lead car was stopped an inch before the zebra crossing.

There is no traffic light but it is one of those crossings where a traffic cop stands in the middle of the road with his baton extended, and vehicles can go only after he moves out of the way. So premature movement of vehicles can be ruled out. Also, I had already shifted to fourth gear by the time this happened.

While not trying to justify how pedestrians act, I would like to bring up few points.

As a pedestrian how long is one supposed to wait to cross the road?
Even if a pedestrian waits to cross the road at zebra line, how many of the drivers care?
Is it the pedestrians fault that he has to on the lookout for vehicles coming from both sides on a road that is supposed to be one-way?
Is it the pedestrians fault that the bus he is supposed to board stops in the middle of the road and he is supposed t dodge two wheelers and cars to reach it?
Is it the pedestrians fault that there are no pedestrian walkways/bridges/footpaths in most of the city?

I have faced all the above situations as a pedestrian. And as a person who drives a car in Bangalore, I think it is a drivers responsibility to be patient and accommodating to other road users and pedestrians.

In a banana republic people get away with anything when there is no one to uphold the law of the land.

How to identify a bad pedestrian - crossing the road talking on the phone!! not paying attention!

Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them-dsc01402.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstonMartin (Post 2286295)
As a pedestrian how long is one supposed to wait to cross the road?

So to say, a pedestrian should cross the road only at a zebra crossing or dedicated path (like the elevated patch of road before junctions that have come up these days). And this only when the Pedestrian signal turns green.

Even if a pedestrian waits to cross the road at zebra line, how many of the drivers care?

Very few but when people start crossing only at zebra crossings, at least a few drivers will eventually try to stop before it.

Is it the pedestrians fault that he has to on the lookout for vehicles coming from both sides on a road that is supposed to be one-way?

Nope, but what can he do about it?!

Is it the pedestrians fault that the bus he is supposed to board stops in the middle of the road and he is supposed t dodge two wheelers and cars to reach it?

This I think is largely the fault of those waiting to board the bus. Buses are so crowded during peak hours that everyone wants to board it quickly so as to get a seat and all of them end up standing on the road. This is a habit and as a result bus drivers have got the habit of not stopping at bus stops.

Is it the pedestrians fault that there are no pedestrian walkways/bridges/footpaths in most of the city?

Nope, but what can they do about it?

I'll marrate an incident I saw in Pune a few weeks ago. On the Bund Garden road, there is this agonizing signal just before Wadia College. Now as is popular habit, a motorist tried to get on to the foot path to get ahead of the traffic. There was this Parsi lady walking with groceries and a broom among other essentials in her bag. When she say this chap, she got the broom out and threatened to hit him. She gave him a beautiful piece of her mind and the biker came on the road with shame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2291789)
I'll marrate an incident I saw in Pune a few weeks ago. On the Bund Garden road, there is this agonizing signal just before Wadia College. Now as is popular habit, a motorist tried to get on to the foot path to get ahead of the traffic. There was this Parsi lady walking with groceries and a broom among other essentials in her bag. When she say this chap, she got the broom out and threatened to hit him. She gave him a beautiful piece of her mind and the biker came on the road with shame.

Please tell me that she actually hit him with the broom. That would have been great.
Also you should have captured it on camera. It would have been really funny. lol: The bike fellow deserved it.