Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2011, 16:59   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Please tell me that she actually hit him with the broom. That would have been great.
Also you should have captured it on camera. It would have been really funny. The bike fellow deserved it.
Well, she definitely raised to broom but just stopped short of hitting him. Luckily for her, the biker had some sanity. Else, you never know how some people would react to such things.

I was driving so couldn't really take a pic. And yes, he did really deserve it. Everyone was marvelled by the woman!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 21:26   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartin View Post
While not trying to justify how pedestrians act, I would like to bring up few points.

As a pedestrian how long is one supposed to wait to cross the road?
Even if a pedestrian waits to cross the road at zebra line, how many of the drivers care?
Is it the pedestrians fault that he has to on the lookout for vehicles coming from both sides on a road that is supposed to be one-way?
Is it the pedestrians fault that the bus he is supposed to board stops in the middle of the road and he is supposed t dodge two wheelers and cars to reach it?
Is it the pedestrians fault that there are no pedestrian walkways/bridges/footpaths in most of the city?

I have faced all the above situations as a pedestrian. And as a person who drives a car in Bangalore, I think it is a drivers responsibility to be patient and accommodating to other road users and pedestrians.

In a banana republic people get away with anything when there is no one to uphold the law of the land.
While people inside vehicles should accomodate pedestrians, a pedestrian should be aware of vehicle speed, braking distance etc.

Quite a few arterial roads in Pune have been redone with JNNURM funds - A footpath is created, a cycle track alongside and then the carriage way. What happens next is that a roadside food 'thela' parks itself on the footpath, his seating arrangement is on the cycle track and pedestrians continue using the road. Prospective customers cross over from the other side with utter disregard towards traffic. Who is to blame here?
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 22:31   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartin View Post
While not trying to justify how pedestrians act, I would like to bring up few points.

As a pedestrian how long is one supposed to wait to cross the road?
Even if a pedestrian waits to cross the road at zebra line, how many of the drivers care?

Please scroll down and see the last sentence in my response to Ironh4wk.
Is it the pedestrians fault that he has to on the lookout for vehicles coming from both sides on a road that is supposed to be one-way?
Who is asking him/her to?? I don't.
Is it the pedestrians fault that the bus he is supposed to board stops in the middle of the road and he is supposed t dodge two wheelers and cars to reach it?
If the bus stops in the middle of the road, one must stay put and not get onto the bus. Only then will the hopeless bus drivers learn.
Is it the pedestrians fault that there are no pedestrian walkways/bridges/footpaths in most of the city?
Oh come on, yourself and all of us know the answer.And for the record, I know of 2-3 places that don't have a walkway/bridge/footpath/speedbreaker, nor a junction in the vicinity. and I ask my dad/driver to slow down at such places. (Because the law can't always be right / laws aren't enacted properly).
I have faced all the above situations as a pedestrian. And as a person who drives a car in Bangalore, I think it is a drivers responsibility to be patient and accommodating to other road users and pedestrians.
Accommodation is supposed to be within the sane limits of the law. You can't hold up traffic behind by stopping for every lame pedestrian who wants to dash across the road to catch a bus haphazardly when there is no crossing.
In a banana republic people get away with anything when there is no one to uphold the law of the land.
It is when we, the citizens, stand up against such practices that things will change. I was ashamed when I read about 2 or 3 BHPians giving in to persistent honking behind them, and moving a bit to create space for the protagonists to move ahead. Adding to this, whenever some idiot blocks the "free" left lane, I stick my hand on the horn continually, and keep "dipping". I might soon be forced to resort to using the alarm too.
This is the way I do my part to fight against barbarism on Bangalore's and my town's roads and the highways about them. The list of stuff I do goes on and on. I can say, my dad probably drives better than 90% of the people on the road because of my "tantrums".

What I mean to say is, stand up for your rights. If you see someone coming in the opposite direction, block his path, the guy behind you driving with high beams + fogs?? Stop the car, and ask him to shift to the low beam. Someone honking from behind you to let him overtake from the right / bunk the signal??
Stay put. Only then will we reform the ways of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
How to identify a bad pedestrian - crossing the road talking on the phone!! not paying attention!

Attachment 522932
How to identify a ? - Ignoring the fact that the pedestrian is crossing at a zebra crossing and has the right of way!! not paying attention!
(Lol. Just Kidding, you are a great driver, from your posts, probably one of the highest ranking motorists having a sense of responsibility on our roads. Just I that you can't blame her for talking on her phone while crossing at a signal-less zebra crossing. OT: When I'm crossing the road at signal - less crossings, and some smart alecs who saw me 250m away don't care to slow down, I often start crossing the road as if I don't give two hoots)
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:31   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If one is a pedestrian on a footpath and the nasty bikers climb onto the footpath to gain a few precious moments of time, then as a pedestrian one has every right to push the biker back on the road. My wife tells me that she has encountered this a couple of times and has blasted the biker properly. Trouble is that who knows what sort of person is riding the bike - he just might be one of these third rate rowdies who produces some sort of weapon and then where are you? In a scenario where the police are pretty much toothless and corrupt to boot, as in the case in Bangalore, I personally would not advocate any kind of aggression because the perpetrators have zero sensibilities about right and wrong, rules and anarchy and they certainly will not respect a lady or be chastised by a lady - they think it infra dig to admit to their mistake with humility! And to add fuel to the fire, the embers of parochialism will be stoked up immediately, if one is basically from out of town though being a naturalized / domiciled citizen of the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'll marrate an incident I saw in Pune a few weeks ago. On the Bund Garden road, there is this agonizing signal just before Wadia College. Now as is popular habit, a motorist tried to get on to the foot path to get ahead of the traffic. There was this Parsi lady walking with groceries and a broom among other essentials in her bag. When she say this chap, she got the broom out and threatened to hit him. She gave him a beautiful piece of her mind and the biker came on the road with shame.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If one is a pedestrian on a footpath and the nasty bikers climb onto the footpath to gain a few precious moments of time, then as a pedestrian one has every right to push the biker back on the road. My wife tells me that she has encountered this a couple of times and has blasted the biker properly. Trouble is that who knows what sort of person is riding the bike - he just might be one of these third rate rowdies who produces some sort of weapon and then where are you? In a scenario where the police are pretty much toothless and corrupt to boot, as in the case in Bangalore, I personally would not advocate any kind of aggression because the perpetrators have zero sensibilities about right and wrong, rules and anarchy and they certainly will not respect a lady or be chastised by a lady - they think it infra dig to admit to their mistake with humility! And to add fuel to the fire, the embers of parochialism will be stoked up immediately, if one is basically from out of town though being a naturalized / domiciled citizen of the place.
Shankarji you are right. This attitude of bikers are seen on the tarmac as well and not on the footpath alone. My wife used to experience this kind of encounters as a gay to day routine in rural kerala where saffron coloured lungi clad threesomes on bikes who doesn't care for any rule or have any traffic sense and thinks that what they do is precisely what the rulebook says and utter expletives at will at innocuous women drivers. This is what the high literacy has brought to Kerala, which coupled with the higher daily income levels from the very lucrative sand and land mafia dealings.

Pity my beloved State.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If one is a pedestrian on a footpath and the nasty bikers climb onto the footpath to gain a few precious moments of time, then as a pedestrian one has every right to push the biker back on the road...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Shankarji you are right. This attitude of bikers are seen on the tarmac as well and not on the footpath alone... saffron coloured lungi clad threesomes on bikes who doesn't care for any rule or have any traffic sense and thinks that what they do is precisely what the rulebook says and utter expletives at will at innocuous women drivers...
I walk to office daily, in Bangalore. Since I'll be literally running on the footpath (to get to office on time), I get a very good excuse to not give way to any footpath rider, and also to shower some choicest expletives at those who don't budge. I don't block their way on the road, as I walk only on whatever is left of the footpath, so why should they encroach upon my way?

I think these three posts of ours are OT here. This should be on the Bad Drivers thread.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

Came across this very bad pedestrian today morning. This aged man was walking through the middle of the road without caring for anything.
Though felt pity on him could not prevent myself from clicking the mobile. (after stopping the car of course)
Such persons are in fact catalysts of accidents. Some bloke coming at full throttle could swerve hitting some law abiding biker or pedestrian.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them-bad-ped-1.jpg  

Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them-bad-ped-2.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2011, 22:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Came across this very bad pedestrian today morning. This aged man was walking through the middle of the road without caring for anything.
Though felt pity on him could not prevent myself from clicking the mobile. (after stopping the car of course)
Such persons are in fact catalysts of accidents. Some bloke coming at full throttle could swerve hitting some law abiding biker or pedestrian.
Agree that he should not be at the centre of the road. But looking at this narrow road i think even if he walks at the side there is every possible chance of he being hit by a speeding vehicle. There is hardly any place for pedestrians here.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 22:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

See how cool he is! The fella thinks he owns the road. Every inch looks a gentleman but a very bad pedestrian. Clicked at 6PM yesterday. Traffic, surprisingly was low and he took over his property.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them-bad-pedestrian.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 10th August 2011 at 22:43.
Old 12th September 2011, 21:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

even though there is a foot over-bridge on the Indiranagar 100ft road, people still cross the road from below!! this is really irritating because the pedestrians try cross the road when the the traffic is moving and further amounts to chaos!!

Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them-_mg_1850.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 02:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

I usually return home from office by around 7:30pm and there are parts of the road that I take which do not have any street lights. Usually no one bothers to use low-beam, so the visibility is actually quite low. Add to it, pedestrians crossing the road at the darkest places. I think pedestrians have a feeling that the car has headlights - so he/she would always be spotted. A few days back, I had a lady coming in front of my car. I am always careful when I drive through that area - and I "expect" something like this would happen. So I was driving slow and was able to stop the car without any danger.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 03:13   #57
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th September 2011 at 09:23.
YaeJay is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th September 2011, 12:09   #58
BHPian

But all said and done I think there are more bad motorists harassing pedestrians, than pedestrians harassing motorists. Driving on the footpath is probably the heights, but wonder how many of us will give the right of way to a pedestrian when they are crossing the road.

Yes there are zebra crossings and stuff, but what about places where there are none? How many of us, cocooned in the comforts of an AC car will stop, when we see a pedestrian trying to cross and say, go ahead buddy, I can wait for you to cross, I give you your right of way. I guess most of us would zoom past, before these "lowly mortals" will make them brake or slow down.

So fellow motorists, watch out for those pesky pedestrians.

Am ready for the brickbats.
Statement is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 14:30   #59
BHPian

I noticed a lot of people they keep advancing seeing the vehicles coming and stand very close giving less than an inch of gap for the vehicles to pass to make sure they cross the road before the next vehicle comes. Because of these morons, the vehicles try to deviate to avoid any accident and they end up hitting another vehicle.
Old 21st November 2011, 14:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

Bad pedestrians
  • Walk on the edge of the road even if there is a footpath
  • When they have a to cross a road, they don't look at the oncoming traffic, because if they do, they are obliged to wait
  • Some of them appear to wait and let you pass but decide to start crossing the road when you are very close

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks