Team-BHP - Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/81818-bad-pedestrians-how-do-you-spot-them-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajayclicks (Post 4050835)
There are many times when I am a pedestrian. The pedestrian crossing will turn green only after all the sides (assume a 4 side intersection) have turned green for the vehicles. us pedestrians get a few seconds, that too we have to dodge an over-smart bike or a car sneaking past.

I fully agree. I don't know about other cities in India, but Bangalore is atrociously unfriendly towards pedestrians - both in terms of infrastructure, as well as the attitude of others on the road.

My earlier comment about jaywalking was directed at bad pedestrians, not all pedestrians. Jaywalking endangers pedestrians even more, irrespective of the other problems they face. That's also why I emphasized that - as drivers - we need to encourage, safeguard and promote the good pedestrians.

I have done my fair share of walking on various roads in Bangalore, and the only good thing I have to say about the experience is that it is a good cross-fit exercise - keeping your balance on uneven pavements, hopping over missing paving stones, etc. And the signal timings for pedestrians is pathetic to begin with - I personally don't have a problem as I'm fit enough to cross reasonably quickly, but I dread thinking of having to take my parents or (shudder) grandparents along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 4050881)
My earlier comment about jaywalking was directed at bad pedestrians, not all pedestrians.

Ofcourse, I understand. I ride and drive as well, and am appalled at how folks will simply cross the road without bothering to look for incoming traffic. More often than not, they have earphones in both their ears :Frustrati

p.s. I do jaywalk at times, though, with mass not being on my side (speed= mass x velocity), I try to ensure that there are no nail-biting finishes.

Well its that time of the year once again - Ganapati season. This gives people the licence to jaywalk, run and scamper all over the road or to stop their vehicle (be it a two wheeler or 4 wheeler) anywhere on the road to gawk at the roadside mandap decoration.

The cops are just unwilling / helpless to do anything to clear the roads and I guess we have to just endure it for 10 days when it all culminates into Pune shutting down for the immersion procession of bappa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajayclicks (Post 4050891)
am appalled at how folks will simply cross the road without bothering to look for incoming traffic. More often than not, they have earphones in both their ears....

I encounter these kind of morons very frequently - near bommanahalli - oxford engineering college. Can't really understand, what is so important that they have to listen always!I can't believe that they are so fond of music!:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 4050881)
. And the signal timings for pedestrians is pathetic to begin with - I personally don't have a problem as I'm fit enough to cross reasonably quickly, but I dread thinking of having to take my parents or (shudder) grandparents along.

Yep. I agree mate! Crossing the roads is a herculean task for senior citizens. These new age Pedestrian flyovers/subways really doesn't work, as climbing stairs is pretty difficult for many of the senior citizen folks.

Even for youngsters , crossing the roads - especially where vehicular intensity is high, it is fraught with danger. In hosur road (from bommanhalli towards EC) I frequently see vehicles swerving dangerously to avoid running students crossing over! If while crossing the person slips or skids, it is sure recipe for some serious accident!

Bad cyclist and bad vendor. This was on the road that connects Old Madras road to Indiranagar (opposite SV Road Metro station). The cyclist was riding on the wrong side of the road and had stopped to buy peanuts from the vendor. A little later, another pedestrian came over to buy peanuts as well.
All this while vehicles were zipping past them.

Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them-img_1384.jpg

Hi,

Silkboard is another nightmare, pedestrians do not even wait for the light to turn red, just dart across as a mob, when a small gap is seen between vehicles.

To be fair to pedestrians, there does not seem to be a green man light too.

Regards
Shailesh

https://youtu.be/rJcoC8qiS8Y

Nice beautiful paved footpaths on both sides and yet people have to walk on the road which is already encroached upon by illegally parked cars.

Are they not aware of how much risk they are putting themselves in?

To some extent, I don’t blame the pedestrians because you can see bikers riding on the footpath just to overtake some 10 cars/bikes. Now, where does the pedestrian will walk if bikes are on the footpath?

With that said, traffic department needs to educate the pedestrians about the safety of walking on the footpath and heavily fine the bikers riding on the footpath. I believe there is already a law where the license can be canceled for this offense.

This is a crazy phenomenon i find hard to understand. Why do people have to walk on the middle of the road? Crossing the road i can understand. But walking? Why is it so hard to walk on the two sides of the road?

This is just one incident:
https://youtu.be/OLF4HjOX4B0

The most peculiar tell tale signs of bad pedestrians are:

1. Talking on mobile while walking by the road side thus totally unmindful of the situation around and in worst case scenario busy on the mobile while crossing the road.:Shockked:

2. Crossing the road from any point of liking instead of crossing from the designated safe spots i.e zebra crossings.

3. Signalling the taxis/auto rickshaws to stop from any point on the road thus hindering the smooth flow of traffic.

4. Forcing oneself to cross the road which is witnessing heavy traffic flow by signalling the on coming vehicles to stop to let one pass. This is the most craziest thing which many pedestrians indulge in.

5. Opening the rear view mirrors of vehicles parked on roadsides for vanity purpose and then leaving them open.lol:

6. Walking in groups thus further adding to the chaos on roads.

And the list goes on.

One that i see quite often is the parents walking a child holding their hand, and the child is invariably walking on the road side. I had once a child like this suddenly breaking off and making a run for it right across my car path. I was driving slow and did manage to brake without any mishap. I really lost my cool and abused the chap who was walking the child, I felt silly afterwards for loosing my cool, but probably it was like blowing off steam. I think they walk like this because its easier to walk with child holding the right hand.

In some parts of the country it is considered unmanly to walk on a side of road. A friend used to pull me from the side of the road onto the road and used to ridicule me for walking on a side. I found that stupid but his explanation that in his town it is considered unmanly to walk on a side left me speechless. Small town, even with its ill placed emphasis on manliness, is different from Hyderabad but he was just adamant.

Parents who will walk with small children on the traffic side of the road. Sometimes these children are very small and hard to spot from cars. These parents with no sense are just casually strolling along exposing their little ones to tremendous risks not even caring how far they are straying on the road.

https://youtu.be/brutld7XBoQ

Came across this hero on Friday last week. I covered the brake pedal ready for action incase he tripped and fell. There are a total of two crossing points in the median, around a minutes walk on either side. Yet he had to jump onto the median like that and surprise me. The median is easily almost 2.5 - 3ft tall.

Safety is just another word to this guy.

https://youtu.be/O8iZQn8YPyw

More of pedestrians preferring to walk on busy roads instead of nice footpaths :(