Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 12:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
...but do not confront him all alone.
Confronting these goon alone, no way!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 24th May 2010 at 12:18.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:13   #17
BANNED

What is that cover worth?
Old 24th May 2010, 12:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

^^ 4.1k for bare one and with painting, TASS quotes close to 6.5k
Old 24th May 2010, 12:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Only people pressure can make him give away this, that too can be difficult if lets say he bought it from somewhere.

Pressurize by asking him to come with his vehicle to the police station. Bluff him that his vehicle will be confisticated as its involved in the theft and carrying stolen parts on it.

Hopefully you will be able to recover it.

Last edited by dadu : 24th May 2010 at 12:32.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Suresh, before getting into the tangle check with him if the cover is a new one or came along with the vehicle and then check the year of vehicle and i guess that should solve the problem by knowing these things.
Old 24th May 2010, 13:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
...Pressurize by asking him to come with his vehicle to the police station. Bluff him that his vehicle will be confisticated as its involved in the theft and carrying stolen parts on it...
Seems to be the only viable route now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Suresh, before getting into the tangle check with him if the cover is a new one or came along with the vehicle and then check the year of vehicle and i guess that should solve the problem by knowing these things.
Do not think Sumo's come with a Safari spare wheel cover. And even more, am sure a white Sumo will never sport a Mineral Red & Real Earth combo wheel cover.

But hopefully we get the vehicle. So far no news... and losing hope.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:31   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Sumo SE's came without a spare wheel cover. ONly the Victa's had a fiber cover, of which the Victa GX came with chrome lettered (for "TATA") cover.

Quote:
HappyWheels : ^^ 4.1k for bare one and with painting, TASS quotes close to 6.5k
Try for a cover from outside, and get the painting done outside. WIll work out cheaper.

Last edited by condor : 24th May 2010 at 14:32.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

I hope you recover your spare wheel cover, but I'm quite surprised by the "vigilant" TASS guys who have identified the cover as belonging to you, are they willing to accompany you to prove that the cover does indeed belong to you?

It's one thing identifying the part as yours, but a totally different ball game if you are actually confronting the current owner with accusations of theft, do be careful.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Do not think Sumo's come with a Safari spare wheel cover. And even more, am sure a white Sumo will never sport a Mineral Red & Real Earth combo wheel cover.
Then please go stop your Safari in front of his vehicle and show him the spare wheel without cover and ask him to put back the Cover .
Old 24th May 2010, 14:48   #25
BHPian

If retrieval doesnt work you can also explore the option of searching around for one in the Gujri !

Dont know how far you will be successful in getting the cover back from this guy. As you know how these drivers can come to blows quite easily at a slight provocation, extreme caution is advised when approaching them !!

Have you also thought of complaining to the transport coordinator in your company ?
Old 24th May 2010, 14:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
...Try for a cover from outside, and get the painting done outside. WIll work out cheaper.
That was / is the game plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
...It's one thing identifying the part as yours, but a totally different ball game if you are actually confronting the current owner with accusations of theft, do be careful.

No one is going to accuse him of theft. But it is clear that he is having a stolen property, else how will this cover end up with that vehicle. If he says he brought it, fine, let him prove it. I will be going the Police route, as I am sure it will NOT be resolved by negotiation. But as said, first lets get a hold of this guy. With the vehicle number and details passed on to security, just one person in the chain is enough to give that guy a heads-up, and there goes the cover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Then please go stop your Safari in front of his vehicle and show him the spare wheel without cover and ask him to put back the Cover...
Sigh! If life was so easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
...Have you also thought of complaining to the transport coordinator in your company ?
The vehicle belongs to another company within the campus, hence using the campus security people help.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 24th May 2010 at 14:53.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

what happened ?? did you get the spare wheel cover back
Old 27th May 2010, 20:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

It is back!

Yellow board running with my stolen spare wheel cover - what to do next?-imag0165.jpg

Last couple of days had me scanning the number plate of any and all T-board Sumo I come across.

Today was D-day. Started back home which was when I noticed the number first; crossed the vehicle and saw the cover still being sported. Parked my vehicle right behind that Sumo and called the Security-in-charge of our company. He immediately called a Security person at that gate and asked him to bring the driver of the Sumo. That driver was standing there all along as I was eyeing the wheel cover and making the call.

We three (security, driver & self) first went to the Admin office to meet the in-charge. The driver tried to go off saying he needs to move the vehicle and blah blah, but the security guys said that it is just a minutes job that his boss wants to meet and takes him along.

We get into the office room and the In-charge says that we will go to the vehicle and talk. In this walk back I ask the driver if his name was X. (X = owner name got from RTO SMS). He says X is owner.

We get back to the vehicles. One Red Safari without a wheel cover & one white Sumo with a red wheel cover!

Conversation:

Admin In Charge: from where did you get this cover?
Driver: Sir, it was lying in that corner (point to one corner where most of the T-boards are parked) for 4 days along with some old tires.
AIC: So, you took it?
Driver: Sir, checked for 4 days, no one took, so I fixed. I do not want it. See, the color is also not matching for me. ( )
AIC: This cover was taken from that vehicle (pointing to my vehicle)
Driver: Sir, I took because it was lying there. I do not want it. You can take.

And he proceeded to remove it and hand it over to me.

The Admin in Charge asked me what can we do now since he is saying like this. Nothing much to do, I said I was happy to get it back.

Fixed the cover back on my vehicle.

The driver then came to me and asked me how I came to know the owners name; told him that I have a police case registered and we have given your vehicle number since it was spotted earlier.

He again starts says that he found it there and I could have told the security and they would have called him and all that. Told him that I will tell the police that I got it back and asked him, in future, to hand over thing he find on the campus to the security and not use it. Told him that it was actually stolen from me and he was actually in possession of stolen item and police will bash him if caught with such items.

Hopefully, he will not think twice before stealing (hard chance), else (most probably) he will not use stolen goods in public.

So, as discussed, no goon'ing, no pressure, no nothing. He was cornered and he just gave in. Thankful for that.

EDIT:
All this was possible due to the vigilant guys at the TASS! Those guys actually tailed this fellow for sometime to notice it enter my campus. If not for that effort this would not have happened!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 27th May 2010 at 20:16.
Old 27th May 2010, 20:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

That was cool, you got it back without much hassle. Congratz
Old 27th May 2010, 20:20   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow..!! that's some HAPPY ending to this story... Which side gate was this? the back gate??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks