Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 12:55   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Until last week, Chennai had a period of 113 days without rain. We have nine mostly bone-dry months here: even if rain did get trapped by debris, it would only be a matter of just a few weeks (maximum) before it dried out again
Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Thad That rust give me creeps in mind.
As mentioned by many first thing i am gonna do when I go home is check for the same rust in my car.
On hindisight, I did not understand the reason you connected that the accident, are you mentioning that the rust was because of some previous accident?
Gives me the creeps too! The car has a few dents and scratches, that have been on the to-do list for months, but not urgent/got around to. It met with a rather more serious accident a few days ago, in which the right wing and bumper were badly damaged. It was due for its 3rd annual service anyway. Although the car was drivable, it was too badly damaged to use. Thus we found ourselves at MSS, and thus this was discovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post

This is serious rusting - the last such rusting I remember having seen on the Premier Padminis - which were built to rust irrespective of which climate the car was in. If Maruti is unable to propose a cost-effective solution, I would suggest you sell this car.
I haven't seen anything like this since the Ford Consul and Zephyrs of long, long ago: they were beautiful cars, but began to fall apart after a couple of years.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Wow, it is really grosse.

But how did this happen, by the way, maybe I am missing something here, but di your car have an accident or something. Have you posted on some other thread? (ok, just saw your last post)

This is too shocking to be true, that to for a 2007 model

Was it left in stagnating water or something for a considerable period of time. Just cant imagine this kind of rsuting otherwise

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 25th May 2010 at 13:28.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:44   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was it left in stagnating water or something for a considerable period of time.
Well, no... that is just not possible in Chennai. I can see it might happen if the car was washed every day, but my cars would wonder what was happening if they got washed every week!

Also, this is not surface rust, but a complete corrosive breakdown of the entire piece of steel.
Old 25th May 2010, 14:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

I sold my Swift due to this rusting problem. Its a 2005 model & there were serious rusting on the place where the shock absorbers were mounted. Spent around 15k to get that repaired. Later found heavy rusting on both the front pillars...as you lift the beeding the rusted metal pieces would fall down. Hence I sold it last year.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:39   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

We expected an answer by 3.00pm, so telephoned just now. Maruti staff have inspected our car, but have not given answer yet. The guy my wife (Tamil to Tamil is so much easier) spoke to is hopeful, though: it seems that the MSS people are supporting us for warranty repair.

Fingers crossed....
Old 25th May 2010, 16:33   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thedreamcatcher : Was it left in stagnating water or something for a considerable period of time.
The height at which this part is at, will mean that the car needs to be 60% under water for it to be submerged.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:36   #37
BHPian

This is a case of serious rusting - looks like the accumulated leaves etc. are the culprit? Or is it a case of shoddy workmanship at Maruti?

Going to get our Swift checked thoroughly!
Old 25th May 2010, 17:07   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The car has never been in water deeper than about six or seven inches at the house, and never been driven through water that came up to engine level. Not even exhaust-pipe level: I'm not that brave!
Old 25th May 2010, 17:20   #39
BHPian

Thad as shuvc pointed out same bloody problem for me too. Went to the Maruti Service Centre , they simply refused by saying that the rust will not be covered under extended warranty . My extended warranty ended a few days back. Whome do I contact in Maruti any idea ? Please also pm me your mobile number . Thanks .

My LDi is may, 2007 !
Old 25th May 2010, 17:29   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me see what they say to us within next day or so.

At the moment, I don't have any other Maruti contacts --- and I'm hoping not to need them.

European/Japanese companies offer corrosion warranties far in excess of normal or extended warranty as standard. I don't know if they do that here. If they are confident in their product then they should be able to do so, because they should be able to know that they will not have to pay out except in very few cases.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 25th May 2010 at 17:31.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:40   #41
BHPian

But I guess I don't have an option and I really need to contact the Maruti Guys , can you please get me some email of peoples who can help me out here ??? Appreciate your help in this regard.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:54   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not have any, as yet.

I'm sure there are T-BHP members that do...
Old 25th May 2010, 17:59   #43
BHPian

Ok, Can any of the members here help me on this ? I will try and post some snaps of the rusting tomorrow .
Old 25th May 2010, 20:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Where did you get your car washed all these years, Did you anytime allow water to be sprayed on the engine bay? Did the acid from the battery spill over due to impact?
But they direct the water in to the engine bay at MSM, during the water wash. Then they dry it with compressed air and spray some polish (not diesel) as well.

Is it not allowed? I want to know because i have been offered a free monthly water wash under an insurance renewal deal and intend to use it every month. Come to think of it, is it a good idea to wash the car once a month?
Old 25th May 2010, 22:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
But they direct the water in to the engine bay at MSM, during the water wash.
If the engine-bay is to be cleaned, there are certain precautions to be taken - like covering up certain parts. If this is followed, I dont see any issues. When you give the car for routine service, which includes a water-wash, the engine bay is also cleaned with water, but with precautions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
Come to think of it, is it a good idea to wash the car once a month?
If the water you use is not salty or anything, you can even wash your car daily. Washing with just water does not create any problem. But be careful with any shampoo/stuff you use - I always use only water. Do a wax polish once in few months and nothing to beat that shine.

Ofcourse in places like Kerala (rains almost round the year), rusting of platform happens because moisture gets trapped in the carpet due to not drying out the car well or near the area where the windshield water accumulates. Not much chance of this happening in Chennai where the hot sun will just dry off any accumulation of water.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks