Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 21:52   #16
BHPian

No where did you mention that your society has reserved the parking for you.
And parking in front of any house/building/society is legal - as long as it doesnt block entrance.
I advise you to get your facts straight before asking for any destructive solutions where you dont have any legal rights.

If its your legal parking, then 1. police complain. 2. then block the car. tell the person to go to hell. do not budget your car. when many customers get pissed off, the builders business is bound to get affected.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Dude, fine69 - relax! I know such things gets on our nerves, but destructive thinking is of no use - these guys park and go, you live there. What if you scratched someone's car, and he retaliates? You cannot find him again, but he can always find you and maybe break stuff on your car everyday as long as you live there! Worse, what if he is a moron of or a gunda who forces his way in to your home when the gents are away?

This is something I saw in the condo I was put up in when I was abroad. The parking space for each building / block / apartment has a square vertical metal rod (about 1.5 inches in sides and about 2 feet tall) bang in the middle of the parking space. There is a square base that is fixed in the cement / concrete, and the rod is connected to the base with a hinge. There is also a hole to put a lock (normal padlock) in. When you want to park, remove the lock, push the vertical rod down and park. When you take out your car, get the rod up and lock it to the base so that it cannot be pushed down.

Not sure if this applies to you, but try something innovative - not destructive.
Old 25th May 2010, 23:41   #18
BHPian

Not sure if its feasible, create a temporary wooden enclosure (wooden pillars on each side & with barbed wire / nylon rope) so people know that its being used by someone. The idea is to make people aware that its not any roadside parking.

2. Try to bribe the watchman to shoo away cars that try to park at your place.

3. Relax (very important)

4. If you come late, just park the car as usually - whether blocking the other car or not.
Thats your place and you can park at the next best parking space available.

5. I know its iiritating but change is the only thing that is constant

Cheers
Old 26th May 2010, 10:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well I think most of you are making a point of not being destructive, I guess I would have to agree here. I checked the price for the parking guard though and its not cheap! So I guess now I need to get back to building a parking guard on my own or something of that sort which is firmly grounded and tightly screwed. Any suggestions on this? Or if a cheaper version of parking guard is available in India, its not on ebay though, I checked.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

1) If anybody who actually knows India will know that might is right. If you have access to big muscles like Politicians and Police, you can do anything, literally anything. Dont mess with those builders unless you have very high contacts/influence.

2) Talk to builders politely about your issue. If they dont budge, then you will have to use destructive means to solve your issue. In my thread mentioned by Greenhorn, one of the options was to stick nails on M-seal and stick that to the tyres of humans who park their car in front of your house.

3) Under the pretext of cleaning throw the daily dust gathered by sweeping floor onto the cars.

4) Dirty water thrown around ? Add some chemical to it. My friend once tried Boomer ( that Chewing gum ) residue and that too worked.

5) The real problem is attitude. You cannot take fight too much far. If the above tricks do not work, park a couple of two wheelers in your cars place.

6) Is this TP road ? If yes then unless they block your approach, legally you cannot take action on them. The problem will come in indirect fashion. If somebody parks a two wheeler in front of one of our neighbour's gate, we cannot reverse Baleno. This is indirect way of blocking. Or they just keep the gate space open and on the either end of gate, cars will be parked. Again its impossible to take baleno out. Again this is indirect blocking.

Think and plan before acting. But IMHO, in front of your home, you have the right first by way of common sense.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:04   #21
BHPian

Dont try being destructive & land on the otherside of the Law. I suggest put up a Pay & Park board on your parking place (say like 100 Rs per hour). No one would park & if some one does, charge him for it (buy a receipt book frm local staionery shop). Extra income wont hurt what say?
Old 26th May 2010, 17:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well, i have to agree to a few on what they said about it being public property.

I completely understand your frustration, especially when someone parks in front of your house. But, now for the facts.

Your house ends only till the place where you have the walls, anything beyond that is public property and even if it is a footpath or something, it does not belong to you. For all you know, you can probably grow a garden there and someone can come and destory it, but yo cant say anything. I have parked my car several times infront of peoples houses, and if anyone was to damage my car, I would definitely call the cops on them.

Just by putting up a sign that says it is meant for you to park, does not reseve that place for you, unless you have paid for that piece of land, in which case you have full right to even build a fence.

Finally, as per law, you are supposed to park your car inside your house. Also, as per law, for every floor, a person constructs there should be space correspoinding for that many cars. So, if your house has two floors, there should be space for two cars. This is a fact that can be validated.

Or, if it isnot your own hours, then move into a flat, where you get a reserved parking space.

There is no offense meant here and neither do I know you or stay close, but it is to let ou know that you have to live with this and do not try drastic things that can land you in trouble. There have been cases in Delhi where people have been shot dead over arguments.
Old 26th May 2010, 17:53   #23
Team-BHP Support

I am sorry, but everything that aagoswami has said is illegal. It is a public road (or footpath), and the parking will be first come-first served.

Yes, its a frustrating situation but there is little that you can do (at least destructive), other than talk to the builders and request them.
Old 26th May 2010, 18:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I am sorry, but everything that aagoswami has said is illegal. It is a public road (or footpath), and the parking will be first come-first served.
Yes Sir, I know its illegal and all this was suggested to me, though I myself have never tried any of them. I suggested these as a last resort after all the talks fail. Problem comes when repeatedly a few persons park there and eventually claim its their parking as they are parking since Xx days/weeks. That is biggest fear.

If my post is not in line with the norms, please delete the post.
Old 26th May 2010, 19:13   #25
BHPian

Destruction will only lead to more destruction.

I once parked to dust my windshield, and immediately a watchman came running to tell me that another car would be coming. So that works generally.

How about blowing up a big balloon and then covering it with a car cover. OK I'm thinking outside the box.
Old 26th May 2010, 19:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Public roads are public roads, noone has right over it, parking space is on first come first serve. You cannot enforce that noone parks there, but can request it.

Police complaint is of no help here, I'll tell you a story on this, my cousin along with his wife parked their vehicle infront of a house near a market(not blocking any exits).

When they come back they find that one of their tyre's is deflated, on enquiring nearby they found that the house owner deflated it. They called the police control room.

Police came and rang the bell of the owner, owner accepted he defalted it, the police scolded the owner as he has no right on the public road. The owner has to change the tyre of the car himself in the end, along with an apology.

Hope the learning from this story is clear.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Hope the learning from this story is clear.
That's a fantastic incident that you narrated & appreciate to have shared. I got my rights straightened.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

I believe I have understood the legal constraints here and would probably get a barricade or parking guard of some kind to resolve this. Thanks all.

However, would still appreciate if anyone knows something like www.parkingguard.com.au that could be obtained in India for a little lesser price
Old 27th May 2010, 16:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Fine69, you seem to be missing the point. You can put up a parking fence, but as per law you cannot block that patch at all.

Tomorrow someone can complain to the cops about this issue, that you are illegaly claiming land and putting up fenses, then you will be in even more trouble.

If one can do that, then tomorrow everyone can get a fence, put it in any corner of the road, and say since it is near my house, I will out it up.

Only pray that DRDO doesnt start testing weapons in or around Delhi, saying that since we are based in Delhi, we are bound to blow up our weapons here to test it, as it is neighbouring our headquarters

Please dont take this to heart, I am not intending to hit at you or anything, but trying to help. Just like a brother or so.

Alternatively, if you have a bike, you can ensure you park it in such a way across the place, that no one will be able to park there.

Also, you can probably, put some big rocks scattered around, so no one can park, and when your car comes, take them out, But it can be a tedious affair.

Or best, sell both your cars and go by bus ;-) End of tension

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 27th May 2010 at 16:31.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Only pray that DRDO doesnt start testing weapons in or around Delhi, saying that since we are based in Delhi, we are bound to blow up our weapons here to test it, as it is neighbouring our headquarters
I think you made your point. Probably need to put an A4 printout on the tree and on the wall requesting people not to park there and if they still do, park elsewhere.

From all the road rage incidents in the past the learning was that I shouldn't lose cool even if its not my fault and would probably need to apply the same here.

Thanks all for making me understand this!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed