Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 20:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Parking Problem...Need Destructive Solution

Hi All,

I've just come home to find a car parked in my parking space and am I pissed!

There are two buildings just adjacent to my house who are builders and contractors and all their customers or whoever come to visit them park their cars very nicely under the shade of a tree which is actually the parking space for my M800 and Swift.

Almost every other day either me or my dad (whoever comes late) has to block the vehicle so as to park ours and after about a few minutes or half an hour the guy whose car is now blocked rings the doorbell. At times they are apologetic but mostly they are very angry at the fact that we decided to block their car.

Today being no exception, another swift was parked in the parking space. I blocked it with my M800 but my dad had to take his car out so I'm now extremely frustrated that I wouldn't be able to block his car and at least make him wait till I moved my car when he wanted to take his out.

I thought of a few things such as scratching his car with my M800 key and probably even make a "finger" with it or something extremely insulting. Or maybe I could place a nail below his tyre so that as and when he backs his car up, "magic!". Or maybe spray something discreetly over his car somewhere.

I don't know but something that would make these people realize that what they are doing by blocking our parking isn't something expected out of literate people. Did I mention that the entire wall has "Parking for <my vehicle no.> only" painted and that too in RED all across.

I could take them all one at a time but since these people are coming to these big shot builders I really don't want to create problem for myself, more so when they know where I live.

Going to cops or writing them a letter wouldn't prove much fruitful IMO since these bigshots would know the local police way better than I would.

The area is totally residential but these builders have created a problem which is only going to grow as days go by. Need some innovative (but more so, destructive) solution to this problem
Old 25th May 2010, 20:22   #2

if the space lies on the public area i think you cant do anything regarding scratching it with your keys just remember the time when you yourself parked your car in front of some one's home when there was shortage of parking space
Old 25th May 2010, 20:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

to your options!

On a serious note, why dont you consider speaking to the actual builders and tell them to ask their clients to park in a different place. You can worry about the destructive solutions later on.

Only if you have not tried it already.
Old 25th May 2010, 20:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

Isn't the road in front of your house public property ?

I guess it is, and that gives anyone the right to park there, does it not ?
Old 25th May 2010, 20:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

I thought so too but was not aware of the housing colony rules in Delhi. OP can shed more light on this.
Old 25th May 2010, 20:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Only if you have not tried it already.
Trust me that was the first thing I did. Out of these 2 buildings one has a guard and one fine day I shouted my lungs off at him but it turned out that even the construction hasn't finished for this building <where's the embarrassment smiley!> and the guard promised me that he'd check out with every single person entering his building that they haven't parked their vehicle in my parking area. However, the second building, where the business is on like 110%, is the problem because they don't even have a guard. I spoke to their receptionist (male) once and I had a more than fair idea of how much he'd want to help me in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Does that mean that I could park in front of anyone's house? Its a road, ain't it!
All of the residential areas in South Delhi have roads in front of their house but that does not mean that anybody could come and park their vehicle outside their house.

Besides, its like a concrete path kind of thing besides the actual road. I mean if I could click a pic maybe then you'd actually realize that its not the road but 5-7 feet of space besides the road meant particularly for parking.

@rishabh.asthana: No I don't park my vehicle irresponsibly in place of other people's parking area, specially if it shouts out loud in red that its meant for parking for another vehicle

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th May 2010 at 20:02. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 25th May 2010, 20:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Need some innovative (but more so, destructive) solution to this problem
Well, people in Delhi (even in our colony) are known to employ watchmen to block their own parking spaces when the car is away, so that others cannot grab that space. Or you can try this: www.parkingguard.com.au - Home.

Edit: You really don't want to start another of those parking wars in this city, do you? - and risk being shot or knifed? Big builders do have access to big muscle!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 25th May 2010 at 20:57.
Old 25th May 2010, 20:54   #8
BHPian

Don't sweat over this! Get a steel barricade, paint "Reserved Car Parking" on it and place it on your parking space. When you are going to park your car, move the barricade aside and park your car and when you are taking your car out, move your barricade to where it was. Simple, isn't it!!
Old 25th May 2010, 20:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

you can probably find some pointers here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hlight=parking
Old 25th May 2010, 21:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
you can probably find some pointers here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hlight=parking
I think I need to buy some thinner! I really wanted to sort things out peacefully but with a new person every other day parking his car I think talking would only make my throat sore. Need damaging thinners now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Don't sweat over this! Get a steel barricade, paint "Reserved Car Parking" on it and place it on your parking space. When you are going to park your car, move the barricade aside and park your car and when you are taking your car out, move your barricade to where it was. Simple, isn't it!!
To this my dad said that Police could come and remove it. Can still give it a try though. However, if the cops actually remove it or it gets stolen or something, then thinner it is!!!

http://www.parkingguard.com.au/ - is this legal in India by the way?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th May 2010 at 20:01. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 25th May 2010, 21:38   #11
BHPian

Just get a watchman.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:40   #12
BHPian

IMO, being destructive isn't the right thing to do. How would you feel if someone did it to your car. The best you can do is put up a no parking sign, in steel. Just like CliffHanger suggested.
If steel barricades aren't illegal, i don't see why the parkingguard would be.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
To this my dad said that Police could come and remove it. Can still give it a try though. However, if the cops actually remove it or it gets stolen or something, then thinner it is!!!

www.parkingguard.com.au - Home - is this legal in India by the way?
Have the barricade locked with a chain which is long enough to manouvre your barricade around. In case if police come and ask you why you have done this, tell them your problem.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:50   #14
BANNED

The parking area is owned by you? Or is it the public area infront of your house? If it is not blocking any entry/exit anyone can park there.

You own the house and not the area around it.

We have a house on a road too, infront of which 4 cars can be parked lengthwise. We have garage to park the cars. We dont park on the road infront of the house. We see that no one parks at the entrance of the gate. Thats it.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really wanted to sort things out peacefully but with a new person every other day parking his car I think talking would only make my throat sore.
See the point here is, there's a new person coming everyday & they wouldn't even know that you've a car & he's parking right on your space. They might only consider not parking their vehicle in front of your gate. Destruction may give a short term victory but loose on long terms.

Not sure how far this is feasible, but try doing this - just put up a sign board (try to make it look as legal as possible by copying some license number that is found under some huge hoarding in bold) stating that you're paying to corporation for parking your car in front of your house. Now put up that board including that license number at the place where you park the car so that it is bang visible. Also befriend with the supervisor or contractor at your neighbourhood & give a loose talk stating that your parking is approved by paying to corporation. Now people will think before parking their vehicle & if someone questions you as why they shouldn't park their vehicle, just smile & tell them politely that you're paying to corporation for parking your car exclusively.

Quote:
You really don't want to start another of those parking wars in this city, do you? - and risk being shot or knifed? Big builders do have access to big muscle!
+1 to lose your peace of mind

Not to offend you @fine, but all people who suggested that parking on road cannot be controlled are right. Whatever happens on road cannot be taken personal unless it affects like preventing you from entering into your house.

Last edited by aargee : 25th May 2010 at 21:57.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks