Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 08:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, the speed limit on Indian highways remains 60 kmph.
In Pune-Bombay expressway it is 80 kmph, but in other expressways (Baroda-Ahmedabad, Kishangarh-Jaipur, etc), it is 100 kmph. I think Durgapur e-way is also 100 kmph, but am not sure. For trucks and buses, it is less.
Any speed over 100 kmph in general is dangerous on Indian roads' even on e-ways, you have people crossing and rampant indiscipline on lane driving, etc. Looking at the speed limits on most European highways (80 or 90 kmph), I think in Indian highways also we have reached the topmost speed limits.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

While I have only driven on NH2 once/twice - I have encountered people lazily crossing 3 lanes of NH with a cycle van full of tomato - in face of cars speeding on the north side of 100 kmph!!
Old 27th May 2010, 09:42   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
AFAIK, the speed limit on Indian highways remains 60 kmph..
Not at all. Bangalore Hyderabad highway (New Airport Road) has a speed limit of 80KMPH and this is an Indian Highway.

So the speed limit varies from road to road.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have seen boards indicating a speed limit of 80 KMPH on the ECR as well as NH 45.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:59   #20
BHPian

I remember seeing 100 as well in NH46, for some section.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

In kerala the speed limit is 80kmph in the highways, but have seen cops catching those who are even above 70kmph speed. How one can question them? When they say ones speed was more than 80 (actually even if it was under 70), no healthy ground to argue with them?
Old 27th May 2010, 10:22   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
In kerala the speed limit is 80kmph in the highways, but have seen cops catching those who are even above 70kmph speed. How one can question them? When they say ones speed was more than 80 (actually even if it was under 70), no healthy ground to argue with them?
You can very well question them.

The speed gun clicks a picture of your car with the Speed. Usually they show you when they stop you, however, if they don't you can ask for one.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
In kerala the speed limit is 80kmph in the highways, but have seen cops catching those who are even above 70kmph speed.
And on most Kerala roads, 80 feels like 100 because of all combinations of curves, ups and downs. So in general the speed limit imposed looks justified. But the cops always lay the trap on those rare straight stretches where one feels perfectly safe to pedal it.
pjay_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2010, 15:57   #24
BANNED

It wa well known that the speed gun can take your snap with the reading from a larger vehicle futher away. Was a big scandal in the US once.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:39   #25
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Incidentally, the GPS maps estimate your travel time from Point A to Point B traversing village roads, city streets, single lanes, hold highways, GQ, E-Ways etc based on a speed limit that has been assigned against each of these types of roads.
Just try simulating a journey in your navigator from some place to some place. It would show you the vehicle traversing at a max speed which is perceives as the max permssible speed on that road. You'd also be surprised that the car in the gps makes a turn at 75 kmph sometimes.
So people who work with MMI/ Satnav, can we get some data from them as to what speed limits they have put against the roads in their maps? Surely, they'd have gotten those speed limits from some source (mostly survey of india maps).
Old 27th May 2010, 19:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
In kerala the speed limit is 80kmph in the highways,
I have often posted here about the 70kph speed limit in the highways of Kerala. It is 70 and not 60.

It is also documented here that a speeding ticket / challan is issued only if they catch you above 80.

Of course, they would not catch KSRTC buses and the government vehicles.

And they are very keen on catching you without seat belts!
Old 27th May 2010, 20:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
1. Why not increase the speed limit?
2. If Germany boasts that they don't have speed limits on their highway, then this is the country where every single paved road is a free-way. Now beat that!!!
I'll give a single reason for keeping the speed limit.
Most chaps here drive like idiots, no lane discipline, no zebra, no signals.

Having said that speed limit is the only law I break on the road. No I'm not proud to say that, however I do speed when the roads are empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
I have often posted here about the 70kph speed limit in the highways of Kerala. It is 70 and not 60.
I've seen cops pulling over a lancer doing 62km/Hr, well it was inside the city limits. Highway 70 is the norm in KL
Old 27th May 2010, 21:59   #28
BHPian

We need to have proper speed limits on every stretch of road and bylanes. The day people are fined for speeding in bylanes will be the day I'll venture out for a walk. Until then it's on the treadmill in the four walls of my gym.
Old 27th May 2010, 22:31   #29
BHPian

These jokers want money, they do not display any proper sign, forget about speed limit. Once i got fined for a U-Turn and when asked traffic cops did not have idea where the NO U-turn sign is.
Old 28th May 2010, 00:20   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
These jokers want money, they do not display any proper sign, forget about speed limit. Once i got fined for a U-Turn and when asked traffic cops did not have idea where the NO U-turn sign is.
In such cases you should not pay the jokers.

It all depends on us, we will get fooled if we allow to. If you are rigid, they won't play games with you.

I was once caught in Goa for overspeeding by an interceptor. I denied to pay unless they proved my speed. The Police handed over a print-out with my car's picture with the speed mentioned. I agreed and paid the fine and left. If they would not have proved, I would not have paid.. as simple as that.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks