Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 16:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I get pissed by these indeginious use of indicators, headlights and what not. They are not meant for that. Period.
Right I think we need to settle this. I did some searching online and one interesting quote from ehow.com was this

Quote:
Whenever a situation develops requiring a reduction in speed--far less than the posted speed limit--the warning lights or hazard lights should be turned on.
And Wikipedia had this to say

Quote:
This function is meant to be used to indicate a hazard such as a vehicle stopped in or alongside moving traffic, a disabled vehicle, an exceptionally slow-moving vehicle (including, for example, trucks climbing steep grades on Canadian expressways), or the presence of stopped/slow moving traffic ahead on a high speed road. Some people are known to use them in severe fog conditions, or simply when the vehicle has become a traffic hazard. Operation of the hazard flashers must be from a control independent of the turn signal control, and audiovisual telltale must be provided to the driver. In vehicles with a separate left and right green turn signal indicator on the dashboard, both left and right indicators may flash to provide visual indication of the hazard flashers' operation. Also known as Hazard Signal in some parts of the world, it should never be used when the vehicle is moving.
Now, the last part of the Wikipedia article seems to contradict the previous bits doesn't it? Now, I really want to ask you guys. When is it okay to use hazards and when is it not?
Old 1st June 2010, 16:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
I get pissed by these indeginious use of indicators, headlights and what not. They are not meant for that. Period.

Now we have a situation in Bangalore where if you turn on your headlights its your right to go down the wrong side of the road.

Figure that out. Please do not give encouragement to this useless practises.
I completely agree - why create new methods of signalling to add to the confusion present on this State Highway?

Coming to the road itself, the more frequently you drive on the same route, the more familiar you become with each turn, curve, speedbreaker etc. Mysore Road becomes dangerous only when you speed. Not because everybody else is speeding.
Old 1st June 2010, 17:11   #33
BANNED

Frankly, I would never use the hazard lights for anything else other than what they are meant for "HAZARD". Period.

Every other use not known to other users will increase confusion and lead to even more accidents in the long run. Yes, if it is agreed that their uses can be extended, then it should be a part or the MV rules and should be advertised.
Old 1st June 2010, 17:17   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Right I think we need to settle this.
Wikipedia is a bad start. There are sites for rules in India. You need to look at those.

And we did settle this. There is an official line on hazard lights by the governing bodies of our country. Which in common speak are laws not to be broken.

Check my below post from a different thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1672621
Old 1st June 2010, 18:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
V

This sunday it was raining heavily when I was driving on the Mysore road,when I see this car with blinking indicators in front of me ...i immediately slow down to a halt assuming there was some problem.But then i realise that this intelligent driver was driving with the hazard lights on ,just because it was raining !!!

Have come across such fools in heavy fog as well.People will drive with their hazard lights on and you will be confused whether its a stationary vehicle or is it some a-hole driving with the lights on !
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check my below post from a different thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1672621
Right.

Final point: Why does the Figo have hazards that come on under heavy braking? This was mentioned by bensb on page 1.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:52   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Final point: Why does the Figo have hazards that come on under heavy braking?
Good point.

Ford does not make the laws in India though.

They are free to add safety features as they deem fit. When it becomes a law I will start using it.

Other point is max speed limits on our highways including the Expressway Mum-Pune is 80 kmph.

Technically the Ford Figo in India should never reach 96 kmph. Get the point?

Also check this post too:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1759165

We havent evolved that much to come up with ingenious warnings, first lets learn to drive proper. All this is secondary.

Last edited by Spitfire : 2nd June 2010 at 14:54.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are free to add safety features as they deem fit. When it becomes a law I will start using it.
I wonder if it might end up causing more confusion than being a safety feature.

I suppose it is the way the law is worded. It says that an immobilized vehicle must turn on its hazards but doesn't restrict the usage of hazards to that situation alone.

Either that or Ford India is breaking a law with every Figo they sell

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 2nd June 2010 at 15:13.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:08   #39
BANNED

Quote:
It says that an immobilized vehicle must turn on its hazards but doesn't restrict the usage of hazards to that situation alone.
Right.

Since it says only for immobile vehicle any other use would not confirm to the rule.

The wordings can be challenged but we need to take them as they are. Since it becomes open to interpretation due to the way it is worded we see it being used the way it is today.

Its for the educated to know and act.
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:59   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Either that or Ford India is breaking a law with every Figo they sell
BTW, what is this feature we talking about? Do the Hazards turn on by their own when the driver breaks hard?
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:12   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
what is this feature we talking about?
If you stand on the brake at 96 kmph+; along with the brake light the hazards will come on.
Old 3rd June 2010, 06:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

In SH17, I have had problems only while driving in the night, due to the unmarked humps. I had a pilot vehicle for some time, and used its tail lamp as indication of humps ahead.

That was until Maddur. Then the pilot went away, and I was on my own. I soon met the nemesis (read the unmarked hump). Jumped over the hump at ~25kmph.

Unmarked humps can be dangerous in night. Definitely not during day time.

There is no need to switch on hazard light for indicating these humps. One just need to watch out for other vehicles ahead and maintain safe distance between vehicles. I feel that is all that needs to be done.

I heard from a friend that SH88 (Mysore-Madikeri) is rapidly turning the SH17 way. Villagers are making unmarked humps at their will.
Old 3rd June 2010, 07:06   #43
Team-BHP Support

The Govt did try to the SH in a NH style, but they forgot that NH has to bypass the villages.
In this case, it goes through them and hence the bumps.

As mentioned earlier, looks like some of them are made by villagers themselves!
Forget night, even during day time, one has issues!
Old 3rd June 2010, 07:28   #44
BHPian

The worst of the whole lot is the one at Srirangapattana at the curve before the bridge.[/quote]

you said it i almost lost my life on this very speed breaker,i was on my rtr180 with my wife and it was drizzling,an ambulance in front of me tried braking hard and turtled and skidded in my direction i some how managed to avoid it.
for a few seconds there i could see an image of our daughter sitting near our dead bodies and crying. thanks to the all mighty GOD we still here for her.
Old 3rd June 2010, 08:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Govt did try to the SH in a NH style, but they forgot that NH has to bypass the villages.
In this case, it goes through them and hence the bumps.
Having humps is not an issue, if they are marked. It is the unmarked humps that are the problems. Basic rules of marking the humps with white stripes and having signage some distance before is not being done for these humps. That is the issue.

For NH, toll is collected. For the state roads, road tax is paid. Shouldn't the state at least mark the humps?

Humps are a hazard, but using hazard lights at humps is going to create more hazards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks