Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 21:46   #46
BHPian

I use the Mysore road for my daily commute and of late the humps have really been a pain. The humps are very erratic especially near the Kengeri Bus Stop. The long distance buses (both state owned and private) picking up passengers haphazardly near Kengeri further add to the woes.
It is high time the authorities took some steps to improve the traffic condition near Kengeri.
Old 5th June 2010, 10:39   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
I use the Mysore road for my daily commute and of late the humps have really been a pain. The humps are very erratic especially near the Kengeri Bus Stop. The long distance buses (both state owned and private) picking up passengers haphazardly near Kengeri further add to the woes.
It is high time the authorities took some steps to improve the traffic condition near Kengeri.
It is like, punishing the travellers for driving at high speeds, with unmarked Humps.. oops bumps
Old 14th September 2010, 09:45   #48
BHPian

On the NH from Hosur to Chennai, I did see lots of these single yellow posts on the medians installed. These posts had a single circular amber-colored light flashing. It really helped from a long distance to note that there are people crossing and I had to decelerate and its an unavoidable movement prone area. The SH-17 needs them big time.
Old 14th September 2010, 20:27   #49
Senior - BHPian

Traveled last week on B'lore-Mysore highway after a gap of a month and half. Took the Nice road and joined Mysore road. I was pleasantly surprised to see a reduction in unmarked humps. Though they were present but it was not as bad as it was before where i ended up driving at speed at least over 4 humps and it was not the case this time. Both the times it was during the night that I traveled and noticed the difference this time.
Old 14th September 2010, 21:58   #50
BHPian

Got to travel from Mysore to Bangalore last weekend.. A hump for every 20 KM's is really annoying.. and last weekend, being a loonngg weekend, there was continuous traffic flow. Though, i was not driving, i felt like i am travelling in Outer Ring Road here in Bangalore. I never got a feel of driving in a highway.

Vehicles cutting across each other is a common scene there.. it seems like - survival of fittest contest
Old 15th September 2010, 13:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

bala where was this at ?

Quote:
A hump for every 20 KM's is really annoying
AFAIK most unmarked speed-breakers have been removed. Also the speed-breakers put up by the villagers have been scrapped.It was a breeze driving this time except for the number of nitwits driving in the wrong lane as though their dads owned the highway.
Old 15th September 2010, 21:23   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
bala where was this at ?

AFAIK most unmarked speed-breakers have been removed. Also the speed-breakers put up by the villagers have been scrapped.It was a breeze driving this time except for the number of nitwits driving in the wrong lane as though their dads owned the highway.
Some unmarked ones have come up near Nayandahalli (on either side of the median). I guess it was put by some locals.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:21   #53
Team-BHP Support

I too noticed that some of the speedbreakers had been removed. However, for the existing ones, there are no markings or warnings in advance, so one better watch out.

As others mentioned, driving back to Bangalore on this highway on a Saturday or Sunday evening is like hooking your car to the vehicle in front and chugging along like a train. Rear-ending chances are really high with vehicles barely maintaining any distance from the vehicle in front.
Old 16th September 2010, 17:51   #54
BHPian

I use the Hazard sign when braking hard. I started the habit on this highway itself last year.
When i was driving my Punto last year (it was somewhat brand new) at night on this stretch i completely missed a hump and the car almost flew up in the air and the front bumper hit the ground with a loud thud. Luckily it was still in one piece with lots of scratches beneath. But poor my sister sleeping in the back seat was tossed up to the ceiling badly. The reason why I jumped it at that speed is rather funny. My wife stays awake althrough the journey and she keeps reminding of forthcoming humps and junctions and all (she keeps the GPS and has a good memory). That time she just bent down to pick a bottle of juice and a hump happened just then and i was blindly on her for the humps. Hence the result. There was a motorist on the left of the road and if he had put the Hazard lights i would have saved the jump then.

Another incident one hump at a turn, which couple here have mentioned is really notorious. I always forget its location and jumped couple of times though at lesser speeds. But once i saw a guy ahead put the Hazard lights up at this hump and i knew there was something and slowed down and saved jumping. My brother was behind me in his bike that time and he told me that this is a good practice nowadays and it helps him a lot. Then on i found it useful and started using it.
Neverthless I was telling my wife about this while driving last weekend and i still jumped it somewat. But to my suprise i found quite a lot of motorists using it at humps and i would say it is very useful as brake lights always turn up even if its a slight tap on the pedal and you tend to get confused. With traffic becoming bumper to bumper even on highways (at weekends) you tend to race ahead when you get a good stretch.

Another place i use the Hazard lights while driving is when crossing over signals at late nights when the signals are off and i am cutting across.

Last edited by manjo : 16th September 2010 at 17:56.
Old 16th September 2010, 18:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another incident one hump at a turn, which couple here have mentioned is really notorious. I always forget its location and jumped couple of times though at lesser speeds. But once i saw a guy ahead put the Hazard lights up at this hump and i knew there was something and slowed down and saved jumping. My brother was behind me in his bike that time and he told me that this is a good practice nowadays and it helps him a lot. Then on i found it useful and started using it.
You must be talking about the one humongous speed breaker at a curve before you enter Srirangapatna. Just before the bridge, its a car breaker for sure.
Old 16th September 2010, 20:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear many 'unofficial' humps are removed in this route. Last time we drove to srirangapatna, I remember scraping at 3 places just because there was no sign of a hump ahead. Kengeri area before joining the mysore highway is always been a pain with the trucks and buses stopping anywhere they want. Lane discipline is anyway missing within the city too.

Most shocking fact is the slow moving traffic even before 7am, which used to be a signal-free and isolated time period until few months back.
Old 17th September 2010, 09:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
bala where was this at ?

@rjstyles69 - Sorry, i couldn't remember the name of the places as i was traveling in the night..
Old 19th September 2010, 20:30   #58
BHPian

Here are the logs from last Sunday - 12th Sept 2010

6:15 am (Brindavan Gardens) to 11 am (S.G.Palaya near C.V.Raman Nagar.) Thanks to wifey for meticulously taking it all down. Reds are the humps and Greens are the bad section. Please note: Humps of the first 40 km of the above route till Mandya is not logged - just because we never thought we would find one. The moment we found some of them in the minimas we thought of noting them down. Wifey even told me as to what were we doing noting down all this, but I thought it might help in reporting. We are just happy that humps were removed recently after reading this thread else we would have had to put an extra day reserve to reach Chennai. Maybe we are spoilt by the Hosur-Chennai NH sections but...

Bangalore Mysore highway - Hazards at the humps-log1.jpg

Bangalore Mysore highway - Hazards at the humps-log2.jpg

Bangalore Mysore highway - Hazards at the humps-log3.jpg

Last edited by jeevmenon : 19th September 2010 at 20:33.
jeevmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2010, 21:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

jeevmenon, compliment your wife for maintaining such detailed logs meticulously, lot to learn from her!
Old 19th September 2010, 21:50   #60
BHPian

At times during trip she was saying, I am not HVK and cannot maintain detailed logs, there were some tiffs as well arguing about logs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks