Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 19:53   #16
BHPian

No doubt the intensity of incident, being with females means that you are always at weaker level. Me too had a near scary incident once with my wife and kid but in broad daylight but will share it sometime else.

Always keep few phone nos handy of the route in your dash board as i always keep Delhi ambulance phone no list with me.

Basic things you should always know

whom to contact in emergency, near by police nos etc in your mobile
Old 31st May 2010, 19:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque4u View Post
It was disastrous, however ONLY by God’s grace, we were saved. Just minor scratches here ‘n there but otherwise not injured.

I say, after all it was the car that got damaged which can be repaired, if it were human lives...I doubt!

GUYS PLEASE DRIVE SAFE..
I thank God for saving your family.Thank you for sharing the story.Verna did very well to minimise passenger injuries.Buying a safe car is a must.

You are right.Despite the recent advancements in Medical science we do have lot of limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post

Lesson learnt : if avoidable avoid driving at night.
I would suggest to avoid driving at night and early mornings.There are many drunken and sleepydrivers in the road during this period(Especially in Kerala).
Old 31st May 2010, 19:58   #18
BHPian

You put your life & the two ladies at stake and emerged out of the ordeal alive. At this juncture, I urge everyone to avoid pitch black highway driving & install atleast a pair of powerful auxillary lamps if you are a regular highway user even if you do mostly day driving. All it may take is a flat tire and you could be caught unawares. Let this ordeal be the first & only one in your life.

Were you in any way introspective/nostalgic mood when this happened?
Old 31st May 2010, 20:06   #19
BHPian

Thank GOD that everyone is safe. GOD BLESS!!!

Guys-: The first thing to be done in case such unfortunate incidents happen is -

1) CONTACT YOUR FAMILY. Let them know about your location and situation. It proves valuable in case help is required. They take things much better than we believe and can act much more logically than those involved in accident.
2) Call your nearest friends, who might be able to come and give support/help/ take you to a safe place
3) Keep emergency numbers and try them. 121 number really works.
4) Call Manufacturer Helpline number. They will be able to help (not sure about night time)

The crash looks pretty bad, but Verna build quality is pretty good unless one is doing insane speeds.
Old 31st May 2010, 20:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Good know no one was hurt, thank God!

Is the car being repaired? Did the lorry hit the car or did you hit the lorry (not clear, as you described it both ways).

I would still prefer night drives for the relatively less traffic, absence of pedestrians and smaller vehicles. BUT make sure you have very good headlamps. The Verna's stock headlights are not much (yeah, they suck!), and at least a 100/90 would have probably given you a hint in advance of what is up front (assuming you hit a lorry from the back, and assuming you are running on stock headlamps!).

Also, what happened to the lorry?
Old 31st May 2010, 21:08   #21
BHPian

Firstly , I really thank GOD he was with you , at the right time.
Next I blame you for this. Not knowing the route by hand, getting a map to help you & starting night journey at10 pm onwards on NH.(I presume you just had dinner) Think again, nearing Hyderabad it will be early morning say 3am to 4am you will be tired. In may cases drivers have dosed of while driving hit head on on coming traffic.
Any way be careful next time know the route (no of towns, deviation, truck parking dabas, medians ) by hand. How was your car light intensity were you in low beam or high beam .
My secret: I love night driving.
Old 31st May 2010, 21:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
BUT make sure you have very good headlamps.
Little too many incidents like these and I have stopped wondering as to why people use blinding/white penetrating headlamps on highways. To save their lives of course.
Old 31st May 2010, 21:29   #23
BHPian

Torque4u,happy to know you and family are ok.
Been in a similar situation in an Ohc and also in a Corolla and although the damage looks like minimal damage but a lot of damage has been done.I'm hoping your out of the shock.
Please try to not keep the car as in both my experiences and noticing from your pictures the left chase end has taken a beating and the radiator.the compressor,power steering units could be damaged too.lower arms bent or broken.
There sure are more professional and experienced than me in this forum but these are my two cents,instead of getting it ready and not being happy.
Drive safe bro!!
Old 31st May 2010, 21:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that all three of you are safe! And you never know how helps arrives!

Now to the incident: seems like you were driving blind. High speed and low light. Never do that. What bulbs are you running on? Stock ones?

Unfortunately, it seems like night driving is not for you and I think that you will not attempt it again.

Take care mate.
Old 1st June 2010, 04:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Little too many incidents like these and I have stopped wondering as to why people use blinding/white penetrating headlamps on highways. To save their lives of course.
With law enforcement non-existent, we have vehicles (heavy vehicles at that) without any kind of rear indication running in our pitch dark, unfenced highways - and the only way to spot them is to have good headlights. Unfortunately, most stock lights are useless when it comes to that

I am strongly against blinding oncoming traffic with HID-without-projectors / unnecessary high beam et all. But a good 100 / 90 headlight, or a HID Projector with ~5000K bulb would have helped avoid this accident, even if one were to drive in low beam (you would, if alert enough, get atleast get enough distance and reaction time to stop the car before impact).
Old 1st June 2010, 07:44   #26
BHPian

Thank God, all are safe.

Guys, if you can, please avoid driving at night. It is not the risk / fun worth taking. Life is much more precious.

Regards!
Old 1st June 2010, 07:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Torque4u - Thank you stars & guardian angel for getting out safe from that situation. Well, could you introduce those strangers here? Atleast their names? And how did the incident occur? You hit the truck or the truck hit you? Its really scary for sure & anything could've happened that night.

One good lesson learnt - avoid night driving when ladies & children are on board.
Old 1st June 2010, 08:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thank God that you, your wife and sister are safe, spare some moments at your place of worship.

Glad to know that good Samaritans exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque4u View Post
There was pitch black darkness ahead of me and I saw only too late that a Truck was almost stationary in front of me and i crashed into it.
Looks like you were driving blind. Less reaction time due to the high speed.

Many have commented to avoid night driving. But I think the issue is the reaction time due to uncertainties ahead. If in doubt, slow down. That applies to day driving or night driving.

Also, it is better to have driven on the same route some 2-3 times during the day so that one is familiar with traffic pattern, nearby towns etc.

Last edited by sbraj : 1st June 2010 at 08:46.
Old 1st June 2010, 09:52   #29
BHPian

Sorry guys I made a post in the wrong thread, my apologies for the same...
Thank you all for your kind wishes and being so concerned about me and my family...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Thats really sad...
I am not sure that I understood exactly what happened? You say, you struck into an almost stationary truck, and then you say a speeding truck dashed into your car? Also, you should have informed your relatives either at Bangalore or Hyderabad immediately after accident, why to wait past midnight!!!
Anyway, you guys were lucky to escape unhurt from the accident. Machines can be repaired.
Now get over it.
We were travelling 80 to 100 kmph, I think the truck ahead braked suddenly and I didn’t noticed the truck due to the absence of any lights, despite this I braked completely but it was too late, and crashed into the rear of the truck, the truck fled from the scene immd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
well said dude. reading this scared me. If its with male passengers situation after accident is better but with 2 women on board and middle of no where, very scary! Very happy to hear that you guys are safe!
Damage seems be extensive. Any repair estimations given by service station?
It’s around 2.6 Lkh and insured

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
You put your life & the two ladies at stake and emerged out of the ordeal alive. At this juncture, I urge everyone to avoid pitch black highway driving & install atleast a pair of powerful auxillary lamps if you are a regular highway user even if you do mostly day driving. All it may take is a flat tire and you could be caught unawares. Let this ordeal be the first & only one in your life.
Were you in any way introspective/nostalgic mood when this happened?
My wife navigating all throughout and both of us were very alert and despite this we didn’t notice at all due to the absence of any light on the truck and pitch dark surroundings…

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
Firstly , I really thank GOD he was with you , at the right time.
Next I blame you for this. Not knowing the route by hand, getting a map to help you & starting night journey at10 pm onwards on NH.(I presume you just had dinner) Think again, nearing Hyderabad it will be early morning say 3am to 4am you will be tired. In may cases drivers have dosed of while driving hit head on on coming traffic.
Any way be careful next time know the route (no of towns, deviation, truck parking dabas, medians ) by hand. How was your car light intensity were you in low beam or high beam .
My secret: I love night driving.
I have travelled to bangalore by road at night at several times and I am aware of the route, it was my sis who was just checking out the map in GPS on her mobile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Torque4u - Thank you stars & guardian angel for getting out safe from that situation. Well, could you introduce those strangers here? Atleast their names? And how did the incident occur? You hit the truck or the truck hit you? Its really scary for sure & anything could've happened that night.

One good lesson learnt - avoid night driving when ladies & children are on board.
Mr. Suresh, I call him Suresh, the Life Saver (Deputy Engg of Anantpur) and Mr. Pothlaya (Political Leader in Ananthpur and best friend of Mr. Suresh)
Old 1st June 2010, 10:10   #30
BHPian

That is very scary man!

Good to know that no one was seriously hurt. It is always better to avoid night driving - Not at all safe.

Last edited by ImranShahnawaz : 1st June 2010 at 10:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks