Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 14:44   #1
BHPian

Travel together thread

Mods: Please move this thread as appropriate. Hope this thread is not against policy.

I am starting this thread for company during inter city drives.

People driving between cities can post their origin/destination, date of travel and spots available.
People needing a ride can join the journey. No restriction on free or paid. Each to his own.

My upcoming drive: Hyd--->B'lore--->Hyd

Will be driving to B'lore either on Friday(4thJun) or Sat (5thJun). Driving Cedia sports. Will be starting at Gachibowli around 5:00 am or 6:00 am and planning to reach B'lore before dusk. No heroics, no speeding (by Cedia stds) - am middle aged :-) just stable and safe driving. Planning a continuous run with just one halt for lunch and some breaks to stretch legs if necessary. Have not decided if I am going to pack lunch or eat at the much recommended hotel Ravi Teja.

Driving back on Monday - 7th and will be back before dusk.

Only me right now. Place for 3 people in either direction. Regret to say that I will be the only one driving. Minimal luggage please (1-2 bags/head) and none in passenger compartment. Its a free ride if you are a student. Absolutely no alcohol and no smoking. No stops for smoking either. Have quit smoking 3 yrs back and just can't stand the stench now. Pick up at Gachibowli Y junction. Will not wait for more than 10 mins from decided time. i.e. if we decide to start at 6:00, I will not wait beyond 6:10.
PM me if you want to join.
Old 13th June 2010, 15:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

You sound like the Transporter guy Frank and his rules

Did you find any takers for your offer ?
Old 18th June 2010, 13:33   #3
BHPian

I doubt he would, especially with rules that'll put the strictest headmasters to shame
Anyway, since you'll be the only driver throughout the journey, drive safe mate!
Old 18th June 2010, 13:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good effort, Kcnetid!

And agree with you on your rules. I would do the same, if I ever decide to take a hitchhiker. My ride, my rules.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

My only point. This is IMPOSSIBLE over a thread. check out mitfahrzentrale to see how the germans do it.

The bare minimum should be a google spreadsheet if nothing else. A thread = plain chaos.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:10   #6
BHPian

The idea is good. Why not start similar threads for people in various cities who commute to work daily and are interested in car-pooling? (On cost-sharing basis of course.)
Old 19th June 2010, 11:43   #7
BHPian

suggestions

The best thing to actually make this idea feasible
Have a separate forum for Hitchhiking
Have separate threads within this fora, for place A to place B (eg , between bangalore and Chennai , another say pune and mumbai)
People interested could look up the relevant to destinations to see if someone is travelling and decide to invite or join in.

Its a useful one though, if I need to travel alone I'd prefer to either hitch a ride or join someone. You save on fuel, just incase something goes amiss youre not alone, save the planet but sharing a ride and well what matters most make more friends .
Old 24th June 2010, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
You sound like the Transporter guy Frank and his rules
I would like to have Frank's car, his physique and the pretty ladies for sure :-)
And yup, no takers for this ride - I suppose more to do with the weekday driving rather than the rules.

For the mods: As people suggested, an app is needed to avoid chaos. I can build a small webapp for this but don't know if this can be integrated into the forum.
Old 24th June 2010, 17:47   #9
BHPian

Nice idea for a thread. And I don't think the rules are too strict. After all it is his car and i would do the same if it was my car ( although I guess i wouldn't mind sharing the drive if its a long drive ) .
Old 24th June 2010, 18:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnetid View Post
I would like to have Frank's car, his physique and the pretty ladies for sure :-)
And yup, no takers for this ride - I suppose more to do with the weekday driving rather than the rules.
Hi kcnetid

rules are pretty important, car, physique and ladies are important too.

BTW, i liked your idea. I would be watching this interesting thread and concept to develop into a inter city transport solution.
Old 24th June 2010, 18:12   #11
BHPian

Interesting thought. But Seems the rules are just too strict.

Last edited by sidd25 : 24th June 2010 at 18:15. Reason: EDITED
Old 24th June 2010, 19:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnetid View Post
I am starting this thread for company during inter city drives.

People driving between cities can post their origin/destination, date of travel and spots available.
People needing a ride can join the journey. No restriction on free or paid. Each to his own.
This indeed is a good idea. Most of times I too travel alone to Guntur over the weekends and I have to ask some colleagues or friends to join me

Most Viewed