Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 17:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I think you are suffering from a common disorder known as
Mechanic Shed 'O' Phillia.

Its a feeling of extreme happiness when contemplating spending time in a mechanic shed. Petrol heads look forward to it and its a source of great joy.
I think you are right, i am happy to see my mech a lot . BTW nice funky name you got for the disease.

Pramod
Old 7th June 2010, 18:04   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
My Breaks failed, they were like they faded, initilly i thought they got locked but i could feel the car did not stop. I was about 15 ft away, i was distracted for a second because of a pot hole in the road and all of a sudden i see him getting closer, i stood on the breaks but no go, I also asked the service center to check the breaks, one of the front tyres were wrongly rotated, so i was getting a slight right pull, i also asked them to change that. Luckily its just 4k, i have a hair line damage in the radiator, if it was any bigger god only knows how much i must have ended paying

Pramod
It could have also been those tyres.
Old 7th June 2010, 18:13   #33
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today morning on the way to drop my wife, my car met with an accident. I was behind a zen and he applied breaks, i did too but still hit the guy i was at about 30Kmph when all this happened, surprisingly on the zen, the rear bumper is pushed inside and that to a little bit. My front bumper is gone, right headlingt and indicators are gone, bonnet got bent in the middle, front grill is gone knowing its a mitsu, i am expecting atleast a 10k bill. And all this happend when i just got new alloys on the car. It being a 10 year old the insurance company denied comphrensive this year and i took a 3rd party, now this is even more frustrating as i will have to foot the whole bill.

Pramod
Call it strange co-incidence. My friend had a similar accident last week.
He was in a ford ikon and the tempo traveller in front applied brakes suddenly. He couldn't react and hit the tempo who suffered not a scratch.
It happened around 30 kmph and his bumper is gone. His right headlight and indicators are gone. His grill is broken too. His bonnet got bent in the middle and locked up and he couldn't open it.
I went with him to the ford a.s.s. and they've run up bills for 30K. Since he is covered, he will have to foot 11K of that and rest will be paid by insurance.
What a co-incidence? I felt bad for him. I feel bad for you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th June 2010 at 23:46. Reason: "bumper"
Old 7th June 2010, 21:28   #34
BHPian

Thats real sad to hear, pramod. I follow your thread closely because i have been planning on taking my car to the spa for a while now and was really interested in all the stuff you got done. Like i had said earlier about the dampning, please keep us updated about the financial damages also. who knows when i would be needing to get this done driving in traffic crazy city Pune.

I know this is not the best time to ask for this - who would want to take pictures of their love - but could you? I am really interested in seeing the damage and then what it costs to get it right.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
It could have also been those tyres.
The two in front are new ones and one in the rear is what came with the alloy, so please help me understand how could it be the tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Call it strange co-incidence. My friend had a similar accident last week.
He was in a ford ikon and the tempo traveller in front applied brakes suddenly. He couldn't react and hit the tempo who suffered not a scratch.
It happened around 30 kmph and his bumber is gone. His right headlight and indicators are gone. His grill is broken too. His bonnet got bent in the middle and locked up and he couldn't open it.
I went with him to the ford a.s.s. and they've run up bills for 30K. Since he is covered, he will have to foot 11K of that and rest will be paid by insurance.
What a co-incidence? I felt bad for him. I feel bad for you.
Thanks for your kind words, I realised even if you have insurance you would still end up paying what i paid without it. My friend had a shunt recently and the damages were like mine. he was asked to pay 7k out of 22 k bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Thats real sad to hear, pramod. I follow your thread closely because i have been planning on taking my car to the spa for a while now and was really interested in all the stuff you got done. Like i had said earlier about the dampning, please keep us updated about the financial damages also. who knows when i would be needing to get this done driving in traffic crazy city Pune.

I know this is not the best time to ask for this - who would want to take pictures of their love - but could you? I am really interested in seeing the damage and then what it costs to get it right.
Before i took any pics i gave her for repair, but i know what to do, i will post you pics of her after the treatment, the car will be ready by tonight and back on road tomorrow after rubbing and polishing. I am planning to get my car damped, the estimate is little over 6k, this would require some 50sft of damping material(noise kill). I will keep you posted.

Pramod
Old 8th June 2010, 09:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the car will be ready by tonight and back on road tomorrow after rubbing and polishing. I am planning to get my car damped, the estimate is little over 6k, this would require some 50sft of damping material(noise kill). I will keep you posted.
I think I didn't quite understand here; are you saying that apart from rubbing & polishing, you're planning to get the damping materials (on all doors) so as to increase the cabin silence? If yes, pls let me know some details as I've been seriously thinking of getting this done on to my WagonR. And does it cost only 6K? Really good to hear.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I think I didn't quite understand here; are you saying that apart from rubbing & polishing, you're planning to get the damping materials (on all doors) so as to increase the cabin silence? If yes, pls let me know some details as I've been seriously thinking of getting this done on to my WagonR. And does it cost only 6K? Really good to hear.

The plan is not immediate, it is like one month later after the next pay cheque(just kidding, i an another member will jointly place the order, waiting for him actually), Noise kill will be used less than 30sft in a wagon R so the cost will go down further in your case say 4k or something, if you are planning to do DIY then it will be the cost of material plus shipping, but if you take it to someone they will caharge you a bomb for installation(this is based on experience).

Pramod
Old 8th June 2010, 10:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Somewhere in this forum I remember reading it costed about 11K for the import on a DIY material for a Scorp/Safari & hence I was surprised on the 6K quote. But pls share the details as I want to do that thing on WagonR badly.

PS - What is this 30sft/50sft thing? I initially thought it was Sqft, now I presume its different. Can you enlighten pls? Tks.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Somewhere in this forum I remember reading it costed about 11K for the import on a DIY material for a Scorp/Safari & hence I was surprised on the 6K quote. But pls share the details as I want to do that thing on WagonR badly.

PS - What is this 30sft/50sft thing? I initially thought it was Sqft, now I presume its different. Can you enlighten pls? Tks.

Firstly SFT=SQFT,

A safari needs almost double the amount of damping if done properly, here a decent door damping for a vehicle at a shop cost 750/door, and if you do it yourself it will come to 500/door, but the quantity of stuff used is extreamly minimal to damp the door inside and outside you need at least 30-35 SFT, noise kill is a heavy substance so the actual charges are the courier charges, if you use railway to transport then works out even cheaper. I will keep you posted once i do it

Pramod
Old 8th June 2010, 11:48   #40
BHPian

@pramod, Sorry to hear about the incident.
One thing which beats me is the insurance issue. Even if it is a 10 year old car, why cannot you claim at least a portion of the insurance? As per the little information I have, metallic parts and painting is wholly covered by insurance. Only plastic (resin) parts are covered for 50%.

Samish
Old 8th June 2010, 12:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Even if it is a 10 year old car, why cannot you claim at least a portion of the insurance? As per the little information I have, metallic parts and painting is wholly covered by insurance. Only plastic (resin) parts are covered for 50%.
Samish - after few years, the insurance company will automatically start covering you for third party instead of comprehensive & this is a standard practice. I guess its 7 years for motorcycles & I'm not sure about cars. Once the insurance is shifted from comprehensive to third party, it cannot be switched back (in between the 7 years).
Old 8th June 2010, 12:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Samish - after few years, the insurance company will automatically start covering you for third party instead of comprehensive & this is a standard practice. I guess its 7 years for motorcycles & I'm not sure about cars. Once the insurance is shifted from comprehensive to third party, it cannot be switched back (in between the 7 years).
My Splendor is > 10 years old and I still have comprehensive cover for it. There was no word from the insurance co about any switch to TP cover alone.
Old 8th June 2010, 12:39   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The two in front are new ones and one in the rear is what came with the alloy, so please help me understand how could it be the tyres
A new tyre isnt necessarily a good tyre. Dont tell me you dont know how MRF/Apollo/Bridgestone/Goodyear varies from soft compound tyres like Michelin/Yoko/Conti.
Old 8th June 2010, 13:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
@pramod, Sorry to hear about the incident.
One thing which beats me is the insurance issue. Even if it is a 10 year old car, why cannot you claim at least a portion of the insurance? As per the little information I have, metallic parts and painting is wholly covered by insurance. Only plastic (resin) parts are covered for 50%.

Samish
Thanks for the concern, the insurance company does not cover for a car above 8years of age, they charge you a huge premium to make an exception, in my case the car was in the name of my exemployer, i had to leave the city at a very short notice so all i could do is change the name on the RC, when i went to the insurance company they said since there is a change of ownership they will have to reinspect the car, since the dates given by them was not acceptable pulus they wanted an additional 2000Rs processing fee, so i decided to get i done under a new insurer, all the insurance companies have stopped calling me the moment i say lancer 2k, so what i did was i went back to national insurance (my previous insurer) and they agreed to do a full cover but were charging close to 10k and have said the IDV value will be higher, i was about to sign the cheque but my friends car met with an accident and they have not paid him yet, he had some under body damage due to getting off the road to avoid a speeding transport bus, he broke one strut and steering column, one alloy was bent, rest all was fine. Their explanation was a accident like this would damage the bumper and since yours in sctrachless we will not approve the claim. So finally national insurance was out of the window and i had no options but to take a third party. Anyways i am not regretting it as in any case the workshop guys inflate the bills when you go for a claim through them, You end up paying the same amount regardless to wether you claim the insurance or not.

Quote:
A new tyre isnt necessarily a good tyre..
True then what is?

Quote:
Dont tell me you dont know how MRF/Apollo/Bridgestone/Goodyear varies from soft compound tyres like Michelin/Yoko/Conti.
I know but what is the point? are you telling me my michelins yokos and contis are built to fail? and that to at a speed of 30kmph?

Rediculus is the only word i can think of. The tyre is not the culprit and i can vouch for that, it has to be the mixture breaks and rain.

And BTW thanks for the postmortem.

Pramod
Old 8th June 2010, 13:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tyre is not the culprit and i can vouch for that, it has to be the mixture breaks and rain.
How much air pressure do you normally keep in your tyres?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks