Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2010, 14:41   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Good News! TN Mandates Speed Limiters for Student Buses

From today's The Hindu...

Speed governors must for vehicles carrying students
Quote:
The State government has made mandatory the installation of speed governors for vehicles used by educational institutions for transporting students.

... ... ...

The maximum speed of such vehicles has been fixed at 50 km/hour. These vehicles, already registered, should have speed governors within six months.
The full article -->here

Please, please, let this actually enforced.

Then... let it be extended to all passenger buses, state and private

It may have been a while since I felt like saying this about traffic regulation (the bike helmet thing was/is a fiasco), but, from me, for this, it is a Well-done TN Govt

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th June 2010 at 14:42.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2010, 14:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont be so ecstatic. Speed governors are meant to be unofficially removed within the first month of their installations !
Old 12th June 2010, 15:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

You just spoilt my day! But I suppose it doesn't surprise me.
Old 12th June 2010, 15:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

I bet many of these buses don't even have basics right like brakes, wipers etc. First make a rule to check the vehicle regularly for road worthiness.
Old 12th June 2010, 17:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably right.

And that is the care that is given to children. :(
Old 12th June 2010, 17:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic, marvellous & very good news to hear; I'm seeing the speeds of these buses everyday morning & feel that lord Yama (lord of death) is fast approaching to eat few people on the road. Though the buses are in mint condition, these AL buses clock to compete with Volvo.

But I really wonder how much of this will college buses like JPR, Panimalar, Sathyabama will follow.

OT - There's another moron IIHT, whose bus condition is pathetic (recall the scene from movie Indian when Kamal Hassan hits the tyre & something falls of from the bus) & still this guy wants to compete on OMR!!!

Last edited by aargee : 12th June 2010 at 17:24.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think speed governors will not be a solution since the issue is not the maximum speed, but rash driving and total lack of consideration for others on road. The worst offendors I've seen are the JPB group buses. Things will change only if there is a collective social pressure - somthing that Chennai has always lacked - to ensure adherence to the rules
Old 16th June 2010, 16:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... the issue is not the maximum speed, but rash driving and total lack of consideration for others on road.
True, but this will necessarily be reduced.

For instance, if limited to 50kph, a bus will not be able to weave and force its way through other traffic travelling at 50-60kph. Thus, some of the rash driving will be cut out without even giving the driver any lesson!

I would have set the limiter at 30kph!
Old 17th June 2010, 14:26   #9
BHPian

It is a step in the right direction. But they should apply to other private buses too. You can see plenty of private buses with tall bodies jostling for space in OMR road in the morning hours. Here size matters.
Old 17th June 2010, 15:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Last 2-3 days I'm observing that the college buses are not as rash as they were before, however I think they still fly around 60ish. But 60ish is like, don't care for potholes, traffic, junction, signals all they want to do is maintain 60ish at all possible places at all possible circumstances
Old 28th June 2010, 11:00   #11
BHPian

^^^^^^^
Add Honking unnecessarily even if there are 2 rows of vehicle before them waiting for the signal to turn green, not give an inch to anybody other than their colleagues or MTC buses, braking as late as possible so as to not leave any gaps. I was a victim of their last mentioned quality, last Friday as my car had to bear the brunt of their inability to brake even though my car was waiting at a signal for atleast 2 minutes and he had sufficient distance to brake. Fortunately, I had engaged hand brakes (it is a habit picked up from driving in UK) all along so the car did not move forward to hit the vehicle before me.

Last edited by DWind : 28th June 2010 at 11:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks