Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 12:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Close call with power windows

I think none of the hatch back except the polo has this feature enabled.I read somewhere in this forumn only that the VW polo has this feature.
Old 15th February 2011, 13:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
I think none of the hatch back except the polo has this feature enabled.I read somewhere in this forumn only that the VW polo has this feature.
Well, the beetle and 500 have it , but apart from them, the Fabia has(not sure of the new Fabia, the old one had it) this for all windows, and Micra too has this feature for the driver. Check out "Some cool features" here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-review.html
Old 13th March 2011, 12:32   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
^^ I believe, ANHC has the option of locking the power window switch of the passengers. I keep it locked all the while in my IKON. Only on request, I unlock it.
Both my Corsa and ANHC have the feature of disabling the power windows; but this is for the rear windows. I'm not sure if in the ANHC, the co-driver window can be disabled too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
In my 2004 Scorpio, as in my 2002 Ikon, it is a "press down to roll up" type of arrangement. This is very risky, as I just discovered from my experience. I want to get this modified.
Are there still cars with such a config. - press down to roll up?? The OEM power windows on my Zen has "pull up to roll up". Corsa's is not good - they are oval buttons on a flat level which need to be pressed forward to roll up and backward for down. This is only for the front door though; the rear buttons are on the door handle which is on a slant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
This is why I dislike power windows. When none of my cars had power windows, I always wanted them, but now, I don't. Primarily because:
1)My driver was winding up the windows in our Fiesta from the driver's side while I was getting out, and my hand was in the space between the glass and the door frame. My fingers were crushed for a good 10 secs, with me howling, before anyone could realize what was happening.
2)When the driver is not around it is impossible to put the windows up/down.

These are damn irritating, so I dont see the logic behind power windows.
2) How is that? Doesn't each door have a button for it's window?

In fact, isn't it convenient to roll up/down windows when there are no occupants at the door?

We had come close to removing the power windows and electronic central lock on our cars after some incident during the Mumbai floods when the circuitry blew out because of the water and people suffocated inside since they couldn't open doors/roll down windows. But we persisted; hope no one faces such situations!
Old 17th March 2011, 22:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

realize that this is quite old but why would anyone ask their 5yr old kid to stick their head out of the window while it was raining that too?! and what was the big hurry for you to ask her to do so?

i have a 1yr old daughter and reading about how careless people can be makes me shiver :(
Old 18th March 2011, 11:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
why would anyone ask their 5yr old kid to stick their head out of the window while it was raining that too?! and what was the big hurry for you to ask her to do so?

i have a 1yr old daughter and reading about how careless people can be makes me shiver :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
so I asked my daughter to check (a big mistake on my part).

Requesting all friends, ferrying children and pets, to confirm the position of the child lock before driving each time, in the interest of preventing such freak accidents !

Well, if you had read my 1st post completely (reproduced above), I had already admitted my mistake.

The intention of sharing this incident is also mentioned in the first post itself
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2011, 17:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

no offense but you have just mentioned "in my hurried approach". why the hurry when you are seated inside a nice comfortable vehicle?

admission of mistake is indeed a right step but ensuring that mistakes do not happen in the first place especially when it concerns our loved ones is more important in my humble opinion.

i am sorry if my words come off as a bit harsh but just do not understand the reason why you would ask her to do it thats all.

trust me i am seriously glad for you that nothing happened to your little angel
Old 19th March 2011, 07:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks a lot for your wishes

It had just started to rain, and we were in a hurry to get into our house, that's all.

So I have indeed become very careful now, and this incident haunts me everyday when I take my car into my driveway..
Old 19th March 2011, 17:12   #38
BHPian

Have thought of this quite often. And I don't think it would cost too much to incorporate a cut-off feature for the power windows. I remember the Opel Astra having this kind of feature, they used to call it 'pinch sensor' it would stop the windows from moving further when it touched any object.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Again got my head caught in the power window glass. I have to be more careful. This time the glass went between my upperlip and upper teeth gum before resting. Man it hurt like hell at that time. Problem is that in Punto the driver side door is one touch up while rest are not. I usually lower windows for others and I mess up big time between other windows and this sinister driver side window. And they need to make those power windows a little less powerful or make me a little more sharp.
Old 19th March 2011, 21:11   #40
BANNED

Thanks Mooza, for posting this. Quite an eyeopener.
My Matiz has power window switches located between the front seats & not on the doors. And also (like in the link you shared) switch needs to be Pulled Up, to raise the window & pushed down to lower it.
Reading this thread, highlights one more small yet significant thing to be careful about.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:39   #41
BHPian

Gosh that was scary mooza. Soft toy cut into two OMG !!! Happy that your daughter was safe.

In my swift you have to press the switch up to roll up the window right. Driver seat control also helps in these kind of situation. That is an inherently safe design.
Old 27th April 2011, 15:06   #42

I had similar kind of experiences during my childhood (though at that time there were no power windows). Closed Amby's doors several times with my other hand in it. Thankfully, never injured seriously. Got to be very careful with kids - not just inside the car but also when they are around the car.
Old 27th April 2011, 15:34   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

We had come close to removing the power windows and electronic central lock on our cars after some incident during the Mumbai floods when the circuitry blew out because of the water and people suffocated inside since they couldn't open doors/roll down windows. But we persisted; hope no one faces such situations!

Isnt there a lever to manually roll down windows?
Old 27th April 2011, 15:50   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Power windows cannot be rolled down manually.
Old 27th April 2011, 15:53   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Nope. When there are power windows, there is no manual control over windows.

You'd have to open the door panels and do something with the levers to move the windows. Since the lever itself is powered, I don't know if it can be operated manually.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks