Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Road accidents - Do u factor this in?
I never worry about that. 11 28.95%
It puts me off (discount once in a year kind) 4 10.53%
It worries me a lot, but my passion keeps winning 22 57.89%
Others 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 19:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Road Accidents -Does it put you back?

We have it all in TEAM-BHP. Great Travelogues always tempts you to explore the new places based on travel reports here in TEAM-BHP, which is always supported by fantastic photographs....the most terrorizing thread <link>on Accidents that happen on our road -mostly highways. Actually this plus a bad situation has earlier prompted me for this thread <link>.

Once you are into highways, it does not seem to be a grave place where such instances occur..mostly empty, perfectly paved, divided roads etc expect when those badly mangled vehicles remind us. Every day you could see such accident news getting flashed TV at regular intervals & every day newspapers contains an accident news which had claimed lives. To add to this people saying about some fatal accidents their close pals or relatives had met with.

Most out here would be inline with Robert Louis Stevenson
“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.”

Inspite of the above, does the grave roads come into picture when u decide the long highway trips?

Its already been expressed that it does not put many of us from traveling regularly on highways. But when you plan out for a highway trip, there are always warning from all corners. How do u manage that? Also always they come up with the general blah blah blah... when you are out on a highway travel, the anxiety filled calls from family always troubles....

Last edited by Surprise : 16th June 2010 at 19:54.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:11   #2
BHPian

When we hear/read/watch such incidents, we just pity and say their soul RIP
Again -
We cannot stop reading/listening to Accidents
We cannot stop people around us talking Blah Blah !! about accidents
I would say these examples are learnings.

Iam sure every Family is most bothered when we are at a Highway drives, In my case I will let them know that Iam driving SAFE and things are fine.
Even before my family calls me, I keep them updated about my journey.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

I keep saying, the only thing in our hands is the steering wheel. Take care when you drive, it is a large world, accidents and other things keep happening. I never discuss accidents.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

As much as I love to drive, the thought of accidents , reports and pics of it on the forum keep worrying me.

Injuries to either party, driving indiscipline on the highways, mob mentality and the way the legal system works here always add to the worry.
Old 16th June 2010, 21:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am reminded of the hyteria created when I was travelling from BLR to Pune first time via NH4. 850 kms. Right from my house owner to my parents asked me not to. Mother began to cry even. Accidents might happen when it has to happen. That does not prevent people from taking to the roads. Our part is to take preventive measures and have emergency procedures chalked and keep the ride in maintained condition. If you have a driver make sure he has enough of sleep prior and is not drunk. Thats it and leave everything to The Almightly. Hit the road jack!
Old 16th June 2010, 21:36   #6
cLJ
BHPian

I have met with some incidents, but it make me strong to drive safe.

CLJ
Old 16th June 2010, 21:54   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I do so little out-of-city driving here, but

--- the idea of an accident often occurs to me, and I use it as a warning. Imagination is a strong tool; it is healthy to think what could happen sometimes, although not healthy to think it too much and create the event.

--- I read that accident thread so that I never forget how dangerous driving is.

--- I don't like just going for a drive. I try not to have superstitions, but it seems to me that being out in the car without some reason is making extra chances for stuff to go wrong.

I guess all this sounds very negative and pessimistic, whereas I am neither, really --- it's just that that is what the thread is about!
Old 16th June 2010, 22:55   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

My great grandfather used to keep telling this statement. "you'd drive safe. But the guy in front will come and fall on your car". He never gave me the car keys.
One day I replied, "I will drive as defensive as possible. I can only improve on my driving skills. Can't change fate in anyway". He looked at me and immediately tossed the keys with the words, "now you are ready to drive".
So I don't worry about accidents. I drive defensive, never let road rage / ego take over. What has to happen will happen.
Old 16th June 2010, 22:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
What has to happen will happen.
Brilliant quote. And it has been proving itself time and again. Well said! And I completely agree.
Old 17th June 2010, 01:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well the thread, Accidents in India has sure played a part in my decision not to go out on highways so far. But as I gain confidence I will surely hit the highways. As far as accidents are concerned, well these things happen. Can't really talk much about it. Give it a shrug and keep moving.
Old 17th June 2010, 08:44   #11
BHPian

The only time in your life when there is absolutely no risk is when you are dead. The whole focus should be in managing risk and taking steps to keep it to as low as reasonably possible. The apetite for risk varies from person to person and from situation to situation. It is important for each one of us to be aware of the risks we are taking , its consequences and be prepared to handle any eventuality if the need so arises.

I am generally a safe driver but admit having driven not so safely sometimes.

I have had my share of accidents including one where a two wheeler rider almost died (needless to say it was not my fault). Admittedly the incident did have a effect on me, but has in some ways helped me to have more confidence in my ability to handle such eventualities. This kind of learning is off course not recommended.

The final word is "Drive Safe, be prepared for all eventualities and enjoy your drive "
Old 17th June 2010, 09:40   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I keep saying, the only thing in our hands is the steering wheel.
Well said. While accidents serve as stark reminders of what can go wrong, ultimately we are responsible for our driving and for keeping it a clean and enjoyable drive.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Fell into the 3rd category; I'm worried about accidents, but again as someone told in this forum, cars/motorcycles are convenient & a gift from the last century & the benefits will easily outweigh anything; A ship stays safe in a harbor, but that is not what ships are meant for!!!
Old 17th June 2010, 11:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Accidents or mishaps can happen anytime and anywhere, not just on the road.

Even electrical home appliances and LPG gas stoves can cause a life-threatening accident at home. But that does not prevent us from using them on a daily basis.

You just have to accept that accidents are a part of life. You can reduce the probability of an accident happening to you by being extra cautious. But you cannot change destiny. Your car could also get banged while it is parked. There is nothing you can do about it. You could get hit by a motorist even if you are walking safely on the footpath. Accidents happen even to trains and flights, we can't stop using them.

There is nothing wrong in discussing accidents. We can learn what caused the accident to happen, and take corrective actions in the future.

It is not correct to get obsessed with accidents and start living in fear.

Rohan
Old 17th June 2010, 11:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I keep saying, the only thing in our hands is the steering wheel. Take care when you drive, it is a large world, accidents and other things keep happening. I never discuss accidents.

Same here !
All we can do is to be alert and drive sensibly.
Just being a "safe" driver isnt sufficient...I have seen "safe" drivers getting screwed royally because they didnt bother to stick to simple maintainance issues like winshield wipers or worn tires!!

And yes ,I am scared about accidents ,but once behind the wheel ,these thoughts dont bother me .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks