Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 12:33   #1
BHPian

Pune rain - My horror story (still alive)

Please read this and take wise decisions.

Day 14th June 2010 time 6:35PM. I started from office at Baner to reach home early as my son was alone with no electricity due to heavy rain lashed city. After getting out of office, I reached Baner-Pashan link road. I live 3KM away from office and without any traffic signal to wait. There was huge traffic jam on the road at incomplete portion of the road in middle. So I took an 'U' turn to avoid that chaos.

At the sharp turn behind office, I saw one M800 going towards Pashan by small newly built road along side RamNadi water flow. Without thinking, I just joined that guy who confidently ventured into that road, which was unknown to me. After 100 meter, that road ended. Road was so narrow, I could neither reverse my car nor proceed further. I got my car engine knocked down twice in reversing attempt. Left with drained battery, no light, no fan and windshield, window panes are getting water droplets condensed from inside. It was raining outside. So now I cannot reverse, but car can be started on the slope next to me. Next portion of the road (coming from Someshvar temple side) was aprrox. 50 meters away. This was leading to the bridge which could have taken me to Someshvar wadi, one step near to my home.

To reach there I had to negotiate a diversion compromising of a 45 degree slope, sharp 90 degree turn and again 45 inclination. As soon as M800 guy passed that turn I suddenly saw some soil eroded by running water. For me the passage was very narrow leaving the danger of toppling my car into running furious water of 1-2 meter high. With a weak battery - unable start vehicle again, no light, no fan and no one to guide or help, I crossed that turn. As I reached to top of the road, I saw remaing soil taken away by furious water of RamNadi. Offss.. Just saved. Next sprint was crossing three water loggings of aprrox 20-30 inches of water level at Someshvar Wadi, near Hotel Green Park Baner Road and near Hotel Bhairavee Baner Road. I reached back to office around 8:15PM. One wrong decision cost me this much. Thank God, I was back from clutches of life threatening risk.

Further I took Highway to reach my home on Sus Road. Next morning Car can be started but cannot be moved, breakdown due to clutch disk and pressure plate stuck each other while in neutral gear. Today it was towed to MASS.

Points I learned -
  1. Why to follow unknown path when it is untested plus we are in distress?
  2. Before changing plan why not to think once again? Why to be a blind follower?
  3. Keep your vehicle in top notch condition.
  4. Voyage through water (while driving a car) should be avoided as open lid of water drain or pot hole might be waiting for me.
Last but not the least - Life is precious and it is always great to be with loved ones, healthy and safe. As far as possible, unwarranted adventures to be avoided.

I learned this lesson and realized on reaching home how much lucky I was. I was relaxing on sofa and outside it was raining heavily.

Thanks,
Old 18th June 2010, 12:42   #2
BHPian

A truly scary experience! The excellent narration of the whole incident made me live through it as well. I must say, you are lucky to get away with little. Soil erosions on the tracks are the worst signs. If that was the case with a M800 going over it, imagine what it could have done to your car. Thank God that you are all well to narrate this out to us. The tips am sure would be so much useful to all of us
Old 18th June 2010, 12:50   #3
BHPian

Thank god you are ok...Really a scary experience. The points that you have put in will surely help everyone.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:59   #4
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Good to know you are safe.
Message to all members - My two cents
During heavy rains, please avoid unpaved roads. Always stick to known roads. If possible, avoid driving through low lying areas.
Also look out for live wires and trees that might fall (not in our control anyway).
Reduce the speed and drive safe.
As a pre-monsoon check, get all the fluid levels checked, ensure the battery is in good condition, check the breaks completely, do a service, ensure all your lights are in good condition.
If you are crossing water logged areas where one's exhaust is below the water level, as a precaution, turn off the a/c and let natural air flow in for ventilation. Proceed in lower gears (let's also be considerate to pedestrians and bikers and not splash water all over them).
Also look out for open man-holes, whether you are on car, bike, cycle or foot.
Get your wipers also checked!
Drive safe. Carry an umbrella so that if you feel driving ahead is dangerous, one can park the car in a safe place and get off and take public transport. We can always come back for the vehicle as the weather improves.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Please read this and take wise decisions.

Points I learned -
  1. Why to follow unknown path when it is untested plus we are in distress?
  2. Before changing plan why not to think once again? Why to be a blind follower?
  3. Keep your vehicle in top notch condition.
  4. Voyage through water (while driving a car) should be avoided as open lid of water drain or pot hole might be waiting for me.

lucky you.
3 and 4 to be taken seriously
Old 18th June 2010, 15:31   #6
BHPian

You were lucky indeed. But the first is crucial, and like MX6 said avoid unpaved roads in the rains unless you have a 4x4! (even then its better to err on the side of caution)

I know the road which you are talking about, I rode my bike on it a year or so ago (in dry weather) and since then have never tried to take that road.
Better wait out the traffic jam at the broken turn on the Pashan-Sus link road than get stuck somewhere you cannot get out of.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:37   #7
BHPian

Nice to know, omishra that you came out of that harrowing experience unscathed.
Points 3 and 4 are very important.

Are we Indians ever going to get good roads, water, basic necessities like food, shelter for poor etc?(This comes from news articles of biggies or their relatives running over and killing pavement dwellers).
Chinese started reforms in 70. Whenever I see Shanghai or any other developed cities in China (n TV),my God, I must say that I turn green with envy.
Why are our commie friends in India against anything good? Not just those guys, all political parties...
Where is our tax money going?
Day before yesterday , there was a news item in NDTV about 80% of the wheat getting rot.
At the end , the reporter said "We have very good storage facilities for alcohol, but not for food".
Please, please don't flame me. I am not against drinking. It's just that sadness which crept when I saw the news at 7 in the morning (switched on the TV to catch up previous nights World cup news).

Oh, what I am I writing? Mods, please accept my apologies. My intention was to "crib" about lack of infrastructure and where did I go?
Sorry for deviating from the topic.
Old 18th June 2010, 18:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good God! That was indeed scary. But decisions taken at the spur of the moment can sometimes turn to your benefit or otherwise. We can expect Jams everywhere in Pune when it rains.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks