Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:08   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Carpets is one thing: what about door cavity and door liners, etc?

Only you know how dirty that water was: if it was very dirty, then I'd go for the new carpet. It will be money thrown away if you find you have to do that in the future. But please, do investigate other corners of the car too.
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:44   #47
BHPian

I am getting the entire car inspected this Friday, and since the water was quite muddy, I have almost decided on getting a new carpet reason being the smell is very bad, if it comes back it would be money wasted on cleaning it,

Its not that wet smell, its like standing, rotting water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Carpets is one thing: what about door cavity and door liners, etc?

Only you know how dirty that water was: if it was very dirty, then I'd go for the new carpet. It will be money thrown away if you find you have to do that in the future. But please, do investigate other corners of the car too.
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:51   #48
MX6
Senior - BHPian

It would be worthwhile to check whether any dead animal (like a rat) got stuck some place in your car. God knows what gets in where in such deluges.
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:56   #49
BHPian

will do that, though its not a dead rat's smell, because I am quite aware of that, our first way back in 1990s, a Fiat was a rat colony for quite sometime, and hence there was a rat graveyard too in the colony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
It would be worthwhile to check whether any dead animal (like a rat) got stuck some place in your car. God knows what gets in where in such deluges.
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
He stays near JNTU so we decided to take the route Madhapur-Malaysian Township-JNTU-Pune Highway-Miyapur (I stay here). All was well till we reached the Hitech city MMTS underpass. .
Sorry for late reply. Found this thread quite late.
I know this place. Used to come from my company in HITECH to my accommodation in Kukatpally. And I have personally driven my Pulsar through this river. Actually it was kind of fun. Trying to cross it without getting shoes in water was always a challenge i lost.

But what has surprised me is that this was in way back 2006. Amazing that it has not changed a bit since last 4 years.
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:44   #51
BHPian

That day you would have definitely lost the challange, since the water was atleast 2-3 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Sorry for late reply. Found this thread quite late.
I know this place. Used to come from my company in HITECH to my accommodation in Kukatpally. And I have personally driven my Pulsar through this river. Actually it was kind of fun. Trying to cross it without getting shoes in water was always a challenge i lost.

But what has surprised me is that this was in way back 2006. Amazing that it has not changed a bit since last 4 years.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:57   #52
BHPian

Hey Rajat, good to know nothing major happened to your car. at the same time, if you think the amount of money and effort you would've had to spend if water had actually entered the engine or so, i think the cleaning charge of 600 or even the 2k for replacing the carpet is a small price to pay. if your wallet allows, do a thorough cleaning and replace the carpet.
Old 24th June 2010, 19:56   #53
BHPian

I am getting a new carpet, I am not taking any chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post
Hey Rajat, good to know nothing major happened to your car. at the same time, if you think the amount of money and effort you would've had to spend if water had actually entered the engine or so, i think the cleaning charge of 600 or even the 2k for replacing the carpet is a small price to pay. if your wallet allows, do a thorough cleaning and replace the carpet.
Old 27th June 2010, 10:01   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rajat,

I had read this, thought not replied till now.

I too had faced similar situation in Mumbai monsoon when I had to drive in high water, though the car worked fine for about 3-4 days post this, however one fine morning it didn't start, got the battery changed, still it didn't start, it had to be push started.

Had to get the part cleaned, damage around 700 bucks, after that car run fine. (I was a novice, dont know what was that part which was cleaned), it was taken out from the car and cleaned at the mechanics shop. Hope you dont get this trouble.
Old 27th June 2010, 13:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

After reading this, the smartest guys here seem to be the M800 and the Mahindra Commander. No one was to prove anything about their cars in situations like this.

In you case it was just sheer, sheer luck. Thats all.

Most people know the fact that their vehicles are not amphibious and avoid deep water. I have seen several instances where people try to act smart and drive their cars full speed through flood waters, especially the deepest ends and then end up getting stuck
People in Gurgaon might also be familiar with this sight on Golf Course Road during rains

So, the moral of the story here is, dont feel proud of these facts. It is dangeours for life and family and the car as well.
Old 27th June 2010, 16:27   #56
BHPian

Please check!

Hey Rajat,

Please ask the MASS guys to check the wheel bearing also. As you went into the water after driving for some time, there is a good chance that the lubrication inside the bearing must have gone for a toss. Also there is more chances for the A/C compressor (If it is below the alternator) and the clutch release bearings getting damaged. The mechanical after-effects will be slow to show-up and I am not sure if there is any possibility to grease these bearings. Keep your ears open and check for any abnormal whining noise from the wheels and engine area.

I had a similar experience in Dubai and had to change the clutch release bearing after some time. Luckily I never had any problems with the wheel bearings. The very first question from my cousin , who identified the issue was "Did you drive through deep water in the last rain?". All I had on my face was a guilty smile. From then on, I always make sure to avoid waterlogged areas in the rain.

Wish you all the best not to have any of the issues I mentioned above.
Old 27th June 2010, 16:49   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen several instances where people try to act smart and drive their cars full speed through flood waters,
With utter disregard for everybody else. The wash from a car can mean the difference between a dry house and being flooded.
Old 27th June 2010, 20:32   #58
BHPian

Guys, I understand and except the mis-judgement on my part,

I got the seats and the carpet removed this weekend and realised that I could have been in grave danger, key electricals like EPS module, ECU, and major electricals are under the dash, had the water gone there I would have been injured in that incident, total electical failure, etc.

As for abnormal noises, I will keep my ears open, and anyways the car is going to MASS next week-end for a checkup and carpet replacement/re-fitment,

I washed the entire carpet and the paddings with shampoo and dried them, fortunately it was quite sunny today in Hyderabad. For now the car will be carpet-less for a week to ensure that whatever moisture is hidden in the crevices evaporates before the carpet installation next week.

Its a lesson I learned without any damage, recently I came to know about a friend whose Scorpio got stuck in a similar situation somewhere in Faridabad. He lost 20K, since water entered the engine and differential, phew....
Old 16th July 2010, 08:44   #59
Senior - BHPian

It is a real bitter cum thrilling experience of your driving in the river. Thank god you are safe. I think now your problems are all solved and the car is in line.
Old 27th August 2010, 13:30   #60

Same thing happened to me yesterday at the same place with my swift VXI. For the past few days due to the deluge the cops were stopping the traffic at Hitech only but yesterday they were allowing the traffic to flow, so thought that the water level musta gone down. Imagine my surprise when at the underpass there were four lanes full of traffic and there was no turning back.

Anyways there was no turning back, and the cars were going through fine. I took the plunge as there were no option left. Midways I had to break too because a motor cycle had bogged down, and one did not know till where the bridge was. Had to just aim for the center.
The funny thing at this place is, people have turned this opportunity for livelyhood, they are helping people push cars. Ofcourse they charge for that.
I made out allright but saw quite a few cars which were standing on the other side, and people were trying to get the water out/drying them.

Then I realised ok, I might have a problem here. I had it. My feet were a couple of inches in water. Hard luck.

Went home, parked sideways on the incline and proceeded to take out almost 2-3 bucketfulls. But same as your situation the carpets clogged, and I have to get it dried out.

Now my question is where did you go, I went to GEM motors and they quoted me a ridiculuos amount 2K for just the removing and refitting. GEM had almost 15 cars with there carpets lying outside for drying. So a lot of folks have been a victim of the underpass I think.

I guess since you stay in the same place, you can guide me to the place where u got your quotations of 1K and 1850 respectively.
Will be damned thankful to you. We can catch up since you stay in Malaysian township.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks