Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 18:28   #1

Got Roughed up on the road

I would like to share my two experiences

Exp 1> I was riding my bike at a speed of 50KPH, I just crossed the BTM(Blore) fly over. There was a group of 10 pedestrians crossing, 8 of them stopped to let me pass. I slowed down, however suddenly the last two continued crossing. I braked and fell down, however hit the last two who were ladies. They were not hurt much and told me to watch while driving and left. The next thing that happened even now makes my blood boil one from a group of mechanics roughed me up. He was no where related to the victims who were not much hurt they had left and it was an accident and not that I did it on purpose however our hero wanted to protect the woman and roughed me up. I am not physically well built easy target. I told him this is rowdism, if he has a problem he should call the police but no use.

Exp 2> My wife was driving the car, she missed a bike who was also from my company (wifey and me used to work for wipro) and he fell down. The victim did not complain as he was at fault and after I helped him pick up the bike he left. This time another hero comes threatens me telling what if the bikers leg were gone and this time I was not even at the wheel.

Even today, it shakes me up, in India this kind of Road Rage worries me. I feel helpless and keep thinking how could I have handeled the situation better. I am getting a new car(swift) sold off the zen. Thank God in the first experience was on a bike cannot imagine if I was on a car
Old 24th June 2010, 18:45   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sad to read your 2 experiences. In India no matter who is at fault, the person in the bigger vehicle will always be roughed up / threatened, especially by people not connected to the whole scenario.
This is not road rage as you mentioned. This is pure goondaism or mob behaviour.
Old 24th June 2010, 18:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey don't worry too much mate. These people are sadists and got nothing much in life to do other than have some fun. I'm sure he wouldn't have touched you if he didn't have company. We all have undergone stuff like this. No big deal. It'll pass. Relax.
By the way, welcome to the forum. Have a wonderful stay here.
Old 24th June 2010, 19:21   #4

Thanks a lot for all your replies.
Feel Sad to be so helpless, bigger worry is if I hit a pedestrian due to this mob behavior - Should we run or try help the injured and get roughed up. Obviously, the pedestrian life is of utter most importance. So even if I get roughed up I will stay however if he is minorly injured should we just flee.
When I think like this I feel the mob who act like this are responsible for a lot of hit and run cases and not the driver. Guys, share your thoughts how would you deal with such a situation.
Old 24th June 2010, 19:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Dejavu - Pls go through this forum & you can see that we're all living with this. There're such people all around. All you need to do is just stay calm & handle the situation. Sometimes, you may need even to act up, do that after watching your back. IMO, keep the police control room number handy; if those guys show up, dial the cop number immediately & tell them, the cops will be here immediately to analyze & ask him also to stay. Most probably these guys would be on the wanted list by cops & they'll only try to slip away.

Quote:
By the way, welcome to the forum. Have a wonderful stay here
He's making his first post after 5 years buddy.
Old 24th June 2010, 20:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

dejavu, guess this has become a part of life esp for those who drive/ride to work. so take it easy
Old 24th June 2010, 20:59   #7
BHPian

Relax buddy! There are all kinda morons on the road and everywhere. Keep your cool and just ignore them. If possible, don't let them interfere if you can.

Couple of weeks back, I had gone to the railway station to pickup my sis-in-law. She had engaged a coolie to get her luggage and fixed a price of Rs. 25 (pachchis) communicating with the coolie guy in hindi. After she got down the train and came out, I found her, I asked the coolie guy how much should I pay. He said saab pachaas rupey (Rs. 50). I had a doubt. So I told him wait, let madam come, I will pay. He realized he will get caught but he did not make any noise, calmly waited.

In a few seconds my sis-in-law came and asked her how much she had talked, she told me pachchis. Hearing this the coolie said, nahi madam mein pachaas hi bola tha aap ne theek se suna nahi (no madam I had said Rs. 50 only, you did not hear me properly). I realized what was going on, so we told the coolie guy, we are giving on Rs. 25 if interested take it or leave it.

There was this onlooker who was there, he started talking by saying, the poor coolie guy had lifted the luggage from the train and come till here, give him some good money. what will you loose if you give him what he is asking for?
Please excuse my language.
I got pissed off, I just turned to him and said mind your own business and just shut the up in the local language. This is between us and the coolie guy, we will settle it between us and he is a nobody and definitely not welcome to our conversation. His face just turned blank and even the coolie guy supported us by saying him to mind his own business and get lost. In another 2 mins, we just settled and left.

As far as possible do not let others interfere in your business, if you think you cannot handle the situation or it is getting out of control try to get away from there as soon as you can.

Keep this incident behind you and move on. You are going to get a new car. Enjoy the car and all the drives in it.

Note from Support: Use of profanity, either directly or masked as **** is NOT allowed on the forum. Please go through the rules and help maintain the quality. Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th June 2010 at 00:11. Reason: Note Inline
Old 24th June 2010, 21:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

I just reached home. I was driving a bit fast since I had to attend an important call at home.
I guess I was a bit pissed with a sedan drving slow ahead of me (was in real hurry and dont really know what car it was) and overtook him immeidately, I did overtook from left since we are following lanes (there was just two lanes though) and got blocked by an auto a bit ahead on left lane - had to move to right lane quickly and also showed indicator (I know that doesnt mean I have right to switch the lane) blocking that same sedan guy and I guess he honked a few times, I kept driving fast for next 2-3 kms and took left (closed road) towards my house - I was watching my rear view mirror, but not noticing sedan guy also running behiend me with HIGH beams and FOGs ON.
Except pushing him back on his lane and a bit of fast drive, I made sure I gave signals whenever I change lanes, dont think did much worse to other but I'm sure I pissed Sedan guy off.
I noticed he stopped main road and watching me when I took left towards my home - I stopped for a quick minute with a thought in mind, shall I fight or just say sorry to him if he comes to me

Immediately thought of my call and pushed the padel again, dont know what he must be thininking!!
I will make sure I leave early and reach in time to ensure these things doesnt happen.
Old 24th June 2010, 22:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Let the incident pass mate. You will come to terms with it. Get your new car and enjoy it.

More than physical built, its your body language when that moron approached you that matters. So next time, like aargee has mentioned, act up and dont allow unrelated people to interfere. And if you even get the slightest hint that its getting out of hand, get out of there at the earliest
Old 24th June 2010, 23:35   #10
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

He's making his first post after 5 years buddy.
That's a positive outcome off his roughing up! He's posted after 5 years!
Old 25th June 2010, 08:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

These kind of incidents do keep happening but as a car/bike owner it is their duty to try to keep themselves away from these incidents by driving carefully and safely no matter how urgent or stressed they are.
I remember an incident which had happened with me when I was driving my Santro when a woman suddenly popped up from somewhere right infront of my wheels. Luckily it was at a turning and my speed was around 20ish, I applied the brakes. She just slammed on the bonnet and fell down feigning injury. I parked the car at a side and asked her if she was hurt. Sensing an oppurtunity some so called smart samaritans on the pretext of helping the woman started arguing about the hit. The first thing I asked them if the woman was related to them and suddenly the crown thinned out. Sensing no support from the bystanders the woman got up and started walking. Looked straight from a con book, could not stop myself from smiling.
These incidents do keep happening and can be avoided by just driving safley and carefully, know the speed limits.
Old 25th June 2010, 13:32   #12

Thanks for all your responses,
After reading all these reponses, I feel as some have rightly said

1> Need to think clearly and not panic during this/any situation.
2> Someone acts smart tell them, will call the police and they can judge the accident. Not sure if this really help at least will deter some of the smart ones

Thanks for all the support.

Sometimes the most obvious steps are what we commonly miss however wanted to add it
Old 25th June 2010, 20:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavu View Post
I would like to share my two experiences

Exp 1> I was riding my bike at a speed of 50KPH, I just crossed the BTM(Blore) fly over. There was a group of 10 pedestrians crossing, 8 of them stopped to let me pass. I slowed down, however suddenly the last two continued crossing. I braked and fell down, however hit the last two who were ladies. They were not hurt much and told me to watch while driving and left. The next thing that happened even now makes my blood boil one from a group of mechanics roughed me up. He was no where related to the victims who were not much hurt they had left and it was an accident and not that I did it on purpose however our hero wanted to protect the woman and roughed me up. I am not physically well built easy target. I told him this is rowdism, if he has a problem he should call the police but no use.
1. Sorry to not subscribe to your views.
What you get in india is much lighter that what you would have got in "developed" countries.
You would not get road rage - but the insurance claims and the court fine would make you lose your pants and everything.

Whatever the situation, your driving speed and control should be such that it is controlled in any situation - except in case where some1 is hell bend on committing suicide in front of your vehicle (means, if any1 purposely does it).

2. You have "license" to drive - you have "license" in the form of card.
Walking is a RIGHT - ALL living creatures from the time earth was created.

For your case 2, let me provide you a "solution".
Slap the person tight, start yelling that how can that person talk demeaning and bad things abt a lady.
This will ensure that he will not poke his useless nose in others business.
2 factors will come into play in this situation... 1. surprise. consider you to be that person, and if I hit you and start yelling and falsely accusing you of such thing, I am pretty sure that you would lose your sense. 2. when its the matter concerning female gender, and you accuse, I am pretty sure that no one will be interested in such rowdyism.

"I am not physically well built easy target." I have seen people (at least 4 to 5 guys in my life) of thin built, 5" characters who can break bones of a 6" medium built guy.
Consider this to be unwanted advice... start gym and or martial arts.
Today it was simple rowdyism, tomorrow some1 like thieves etc might launch planned attack.

Last edited by subscrive : 25th June 2010 at 20:53.
Old 25th June 2010, 21:14   #14
BHPian

The "lady" victim part is not always so.

This was from my last bike accident way back in 2006.
Was coming home from office on my Rx-Z a lady on a scooty (coming the opposite way) thought it was fun to cut me off without indicating.

I braked and tried to avoid her, grazed her scooty and fell down. My left palm took the brunt and was bleeding. The other chaps on the road who saw this was scolding the lady for her crazy action. Another chap got me some water and go my hand cleaned up. I was shaken but, I even asked the lady if she was allright and needed to go to any hospital. But she was just shocked and did't even fell down. Other blokes offered to take me to a hospital and get an auto and what not.

I thanked all the chaps and went on my way home.

This happened in Chennai on my KL reg bike.

PS : Physique don't matter, I'm a "thin" guy.
Old 25th June 2010, 21:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Slap the person tight, start yelling that how can that person talk demeaning and bad things abt a lady.
we need some more people like you on the roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks