Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:47   #16
BHPian

That's it. I'm ordering pepper spray online now. I had kept postponing this till today. Seems like these guys have some kind of online forum too, where they can share new ideas to loot people :| .
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:52   #17
BANNED

Next time you guys see a person being harassed. Stop if possible and lend support to the guy who is being bullied. Not directly but ask them all to calm down and try and take the middle line to this discussion. Side with the person who wants to get the poilice involved.

Do this considering your ability to pull off something like this. If not a small prayer for the victim and ride/drive on.
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I'm ordering pepper spray online now.
On which website? How much does it cost?
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
I got this link from another thread on T-BHP, so i had bookmarked it some time back :

Spike Labs .:. The New Language Of Self Defense

The cost starts from 150/-. Will order it today and inform how the experience was.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:20   #20
BHPian

arre yaar!!!! what is going on? Now these guys are in Pune too!!! Pune drivers be brave and be aware please, I think now its time to shave off our white collar image and be little rough while taking your car out on the road, keep some sort of self defence ready, I am carrying a steel rod in my car from yesterday. And do involve police if you see such things happening arround you.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Will order it today and inform how the experience was.
I hope you are talking about the buying experience, not the experience of the spray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I am carrying a steel rod in my car from yesterday.
My toolkit has a foldable knife. I open it and keep it the driver side door packet when I start the car from office. (Hoping not to use it).
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Next time you guys see a person being harassed. Stop if possible and lend support to the guy who is being bullied. Not directly but ask them all to calm down and try and take the middle line to this discussion. Side with the person who wants to get the poilice involved.

Do this considering your ability to pull off something like this. If not a small prayer for the victim and ride/drive on.
on this i need to share what has happened with me way back in 2008 in New Delhi.

My friend and I were going home after partying at around 12:30AM, we spotted a TATA 407, a santro and an alto parked in between the road near South Ex, I was driving my zen and I slowed down, when I passed by the stopped vehicles (santro, alto and tata 407) i saw 8-9 drunk guys were beating the poor 407 driver, with rods and kicking him badly.

I felt pity on him, parked my car besides the road, and got down with my friend.

The issue was 407 hit the guy's alto (causing a very minor scratch), and these guys were wanting him to pay atleast Rs. 10000, and I am sure the fault was of the alto's driver (as he was totally drunk, and barely able to walk). I told the guy (who seemed the leader of the gang) that you should call the owner of the 407 instead of beating the poor driver, and also told them to demand the money from the owner and not the driver, or lodge a police complaint.

2-3 guys agreed on my point, but then the gang leader asked a guy to teach me a lesson, one guy went near my car and with a steel pipe hammered my car's fender (which obviously made a bad dent) and warned me to leave if I dont same thing happening to me.

I decided to leave, and I was helpless, around 400 meters from this place I saw a police barrier (who were stopping bikers only to earn some money), told them the whole incident, what is happening, but they said the incident held in South Ex part - 1 and we are in south ex part -2, immediately I called up 100 (PCR) and called up some friends to meet at the place where this incident took place, but it took around 30 minutes, when I reached the place, no one was there, except the 407 with broken glasses all over/ headlamps/ indicators and a badly beaten bleeding driver.

I couldn't note down the no. of the santro and alto as they were parked in a very dark area, and unfortunately there was no street light,

since then I have decided if you have to get involve in some one else's panga,, then be prepared and call police before getting down, I would suggest same to everyone.
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:10   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
then be prepared
Thats why the below line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:44   #24
BHPian

This thread should justify that muggers are everywhere and not just in bangalore.
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

@neonwheels: I suggest you put these muggers bike number (also which bike, if known) on T/BHP. Our Pune brethren can be wary of such bike/number...

@atulmuley: In case you have similar info then pls share.

@Ch.nathan: I also had similar thoughts but as they mentioned, PANIC.. It plays BIG role.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:33   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
@atulmuley: In case you have similar info then pls share.
In my case they followed in a rickshaw and ensured that the rickshaw was parked far away from my car to ensure I would not be able to see the number.
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

I hve been following a rule that never ever stop the car for strangers.
There was some other trick used few years back. When one is driving, all of a sudden a bike (with two people) will appear and show their hands and fingers trying to tell that the car's left rear side tyre has low or no air. When one stop the car and come out to check the tyre, these people either steal anything available in the car seat or take out the key and then start threatening the driver/owner.
And in a minute or so, you will find couple of other bikers also come to the scene and support those guys. They will not leave you so easily, until some money has been given to them.
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:11   #28
SDP
Team-BHP Support

The 2-3 instances narrated here are definitely disturbing. Although I am from Mumbai, was wondering if there was anything specific about the locations (Pune and Bangalore) - in terms of lonely streches of road or general lack of apathy of the by-standers that is in someway fueling such instances.
I am in two minds about the thoughts expressed by some of the fellow bhpians about carrying a small weapon (a toolkit knife) or a pepper-spray. There is no denying that I have not contemplated these options earlier. At the same time, I am worried that having some sort of weapon at your disposal might bring out the aggression in you and you might end up over-reacting to a situation.
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
SPAR Hypermarket or MKA retails it for 499 INR. Cobra Brand. My wife has it in her purse always.
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
SPAR Hypermarket or MKA retails it for 499 INR. Cobra Brand. My wife has it in her purse always.
hope she does not uses it on you,
just joking bro !! I just informed about the puna incident mention on tbhp to a friend who has recently shifted to puna (he isnt not on tbhp).

He told me that his colleague has already been targeted last weekend.

also asked him to join tbhp and check this thread.

Most Viewed