Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 09:05   #16
BHPian

I get annoyed at two wheeler guys who jump the guy and park their vehicle parallel to me and get refuelled before me , although i have been politely waiting in the queue for my turn. I give them a dirty look but they act as if they don't understand what they did wrong :(.
Old 5th July 2010, 19:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I get annoyed at two wheeler guys who jump the guy and park their vehicle parallel to me and get refuelled before me , although i have been politely waiting in the queue for my turn. I give them a dirty look but they act as if they don't understand what they did wrong :(.
Don't worry they don't get far either. They are at the air pump or at the next signal.
Old 5th July 2010, 22:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Don't worry they don't get far either. They are at the air pump or at the next signal.
Exactly; I don't show any reaction & wait patiently as I don't want to spoil my mood & my day. If they hurry up, let them; I always say this to myself - people who hurry-up are the one who're not confident on their skills.
Old 6th July 2010, 17:33   #19
lsp
BHPian

My routine was always to step out of the car and tell the attendant to do a tankful. Usually its Sunday night or Monday morning to do the tankful, once a week. Approx 30 or so ltrs of fuel.

After the auto cut off, I used to hand him my card after he puts the cap back n closes the lid. While the attendant or cashier is swiping the card, I sit in the car and drive towards the air pump to get air topped up in all tyres. This usually takes about 1-2 mins during which the attendant comes to the car to get the credit slip signied and return the card. I also note on the customer copy of the credit card slip, the odo reading (for calculating the FE later).

In the meanwhile the guy behind me gets serviced by some other attendant. As soon as the tyres get their share of air, I am off.

Easy Peasy!!
Old 6th July 2010, 18:36   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

While on the topic of Etiquette:

If there is a vehicle behind waiting for a fill-up, move your car out of the way before checking all the fluids. No point holding up a spot at the fuel vending machine after you have tanked up, and only to check oil levels under the hood.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2010 at 18:37.
Old 6th July 2010, 19:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

I follow etiquettes as below

Visit the fuel station as little as possible: This not only saves money (repeated micro cashflow) as well as reduces traffic on the roads/fuel station as well as saves time for me. This also prevents the number of instances of possible frauds. I ensure that i fill the tankful every time and drive till the fuel level reaches near zero whenever possible.

Always fill up the fuel worth the same amount: This again helps in ensuring the consistency of the volume of fuel as well as checking the fuel efficiency for every fill.

Fill up early morning: this helps in not rushing through the pump, causing delays for others etc. Also this ensures consistent density of fuel.

Fill up at the same station: This ensures the consistancy of the fuel quality. Also helps in building rapport with the attendents while doing some small talk during the transaction. a bit of courtesy goes a longway.

Never sit inside the car while fuel is being filled: Stand near the fuel nozzel or inlet, be polite but assertive to the attendent about your expectations like not touching the fuel dispener, not speeding up/down the fuel flow etc. Ask for the bill and then pay the money either through cash/card. if paying through the card, ensure that you collect the receipt.

Never be in a hurry at the fuel station: if you are in a hurry this results in oversights and provides opportunity for short fueling. Also never talk on phone or talk with other passengers while your car is being fueled. Focus your attention on the fueling process and transaction.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 6th July 2010 at 19:11.
Old 6th July 2010, 21:31   #22
BHPian

Well, I generally tank up at the HP COCO at JP Nagar (Blr). Had a funny incident there once.

I am a pretty regular guy out there and all the guys there already know me.
As mentioned by many others, I wait by the guy filling up. They know that I always go for full tank. Once they have done that and shut the lid, I give them the card and move on for the air pump.

Now it so happened one day that there were more bikers out there.I patiently made a note of all the guys who arrived before me. Couple of bikers-in-hurry decided to park in front of me.
Now came the good part. The guy filling the air politely asked the bikers to move forward, (he already knew how much i fill in), calmly came to my car and started filling in. The looks on the face of the bikers were priceless.
Hats off to the diligent guy at the gas station. After this, we shared a smirk and wink and I was off.
Bottom line: patience pays.

And yeah, I absolutely hate those who honk at gas stations.
Old 6th July 2010, 21:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I agree with Simhi (the OP). It is downright impolite, inconsiderate and rude to hold up others.

It is not about the 5 seconds or 10 seconds, the amount of time is not important. It is the thought. It is a courtesy shown to fellow motorists, to move on and make way for others once your tank is full.
Totally agree with you entire post specially with the quoted part above. I always ensure i don't hold up others waiting behind in queue to wait for change or swipe the card. I park away from the dispenser not blocking the way. Its just a courtesy like you said to a fellow motorist waiting to get the tank filled.
I get irritated when people who are done filling up are oblivious to the fact that there are others waiting and take their own sweet time to make way.
Old 7th July 2010, 02:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes it is the other way around. Sometimes the attendant flips his lid. I was at a Kothrud bunk and I had come off of lunch to fill fuel as that was the only time I was going to have to fill fuel. Guess what I had 3 parallel lines to contend with for filling. Finally after agonizing minutes when my turn came, he filled up a tank for a girl and then a couple on a bike and then lastly since there was no one behind me, he decided to fill up mine eben though it was my turn. When he asked me to open the tank lid I asked him to look around if someone else was remaining to fill or someone on the road was entering the bunk so that he could cater to him first. He gave a twisted smile which meant 'Yeah I got you irritated'. I was in a hurry and I did not lecture him on time or teach him a lesson by paying him late or something like that. I just uttered something very nasty to him and left. I never visited the bunk out of fear of getting beaten up by all the employees out there. I am sure he must not have slept that night. It was so nasty and from the gut. Such people deserve crap. When I narrated the above to my colleagues they asked me to remove the 'IT company' ID card from my neck and visit places next time. Jealous morons.
Old 7th July 2010, 08:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

The petrol bunk where I refuel regularly has a good staff who take pains to ensure that the time taken for refueling and billing is min. They have seperate bays for Normal petrol and Speed petrol with dedicated staff which ensures that both the requirements are taken care smooth and fast. There is a dedicated staff who does the receipts and a dedicated staff to take care of billing - cash/card.
Makes life a lot more smoother. You are encouraged to refuel at such bunks.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

At most petrol pumps, there is no point in moving ahead. Until the payment is made, the attendant does not move on to the next car/bike. But once the payment is done, then there is absolutely no excuse to wait (be it for buying accessories or lubes or shampoos), but rather move ahead and park properly at a suitable place.
Old 7th July 2010, 20:36   #27
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
At most petrol pumps, there is no point in moving ahead. Until the payment is made, the attendant does not move on to the next car/bike. But once the payment is done, then there is absolutely no excuse to wait (be it for buying accessories or lubes or shampoos), but rather move ahead and park properly at a suitable place.
+1 to you. And no hurrying the guy as well. Once he swiped my card and charged me 300 bucks less in a hurry. I had to point that out and then pay him by cash (as luckily I had cash on me).
Old 8th July 2010, 23:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Two days ago, I drove into a new IOC pump & there're 2 cars in front of me; one guy comes & asks me the amount to be filled in. I say 25 lts & sit in the car. He walks away with my CC. Suddenly I realize these guys to overcharge (there's always one part of brain that recalls the tricks adopted by fuel station); I close the door with the keys & walk upto him & ask how much he's charging. He gives me the exact amount with the decimals.

On my turn, I stand near by the attendant who pumps the fuel & looks like she was least bothered about the meter or anything as she locks the fuel gun & speaks with her colleague. She pulls out the gun until the last drop of petrol is dropped.

Meanwhile the guy comes to hand over my CC; I take the CC, come back to my car, put the CC into the waller, wear seat belts & then drive.

Question - Did I waste a valuable 10-15 seconds of someone when I put back my CC into wallet & belted up?

PS - Ideally the above post qualifies to be in "Best petrol pumps in Chennai", but then, I wanted to ask this question.
Old 8th July 2010, 23:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Due to space constraints , 4 wheelers tend to follow the queue efficiently(excellent queue management in Shell i must say)
Bikers behave as they do on the road , Irrationally. Cutting across people waiting in queues for filling up etc.
Thankfully most petrol bunks have separate bikers lane so they are out of my way.
Only in Shell i have seen bikers following Queues.
Old 9th July 2010, 01:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Only in Shell i have seen bikers following Queues.
Because they're being politely asked to follow the queue system unlike other PSU disorganized fuel stations.

I'm sure you also know that people are asked to switch off & get down from their motorcycle when refilling the fuel. Though little inconvenient, I really like that concept.

Most Viewed