Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 18:42   #1
BHPian

Almost challaned for Team BHP sticker on number plate

Last week, the Delhi Traffic Police was running a campaign against fancy and defective number plates. They were also issuing challans to any and all who had stuff on the number plate which is not needed (anything except the numerals).

I was on my way to the airport when I was flagged down by a traffic police pulsar, my heart starts pounding and I pull over as soon as I can. The traffic policeman checks my license and papers (thank God I had the PUC). After all that he tells me he pulled me over for a number plate violation, I had a team bhp sticker underneath my numbers on the number plate. He told me there is a special drive and they are supposed to challan. I pleaded with him, seeing that I had everything else in order, he asked me to rip off the sticker (very tuff to pull those out) and told me to behave. I had heard of people with the police colours on the number plate being challaned but this was new to me.

Delhi BHPians might take this as a warning for stuff on the numberplate. Later I checked the Delhi Traffic Police facebook profile and the drive was confirmed by the Commisioner of police. So if you have a sticker on your number plate, remove it or else you will be challaned as its not allowed.

Last edited by f1head : 4th July 2010 at 18:46.
f1head is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2010, 23:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Actually yes, do not stick anything on the number plates & follow the guidelines as mentioned here. It was fortunate enough to have got away. Except dust (not dirt) I do not allow anything on my number plate painted as per law.
Old 4th July 2010, 23:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

According to the rules, you are not supposed to stick/paint anything else in your number plate other than your vehicle's regn no:.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I suppose you're Shantanu Mitra, who has posted pic of his ride's number plate with TBHP sticker. Anyhow, it's illegal to have any sticker on the number plate even that of the dealer's.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Anyhow, it's illegal to have any sticker on the number plate even that of the dealer's.
Dealers regularly do it (sticking their logo on the number plate). But is it really allowed as per law or is it one of those things cops keep a blind eye to?
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2010, 00:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guna, in New Delhi this thing has popped up recently due to Facebook page of Delhi Traffic Police where-in I'm coming across some unheard rules which even DTP didn't take note of until certain public spirited individuals popularized them. Number plate stickers are one such case.
Old 5th July 2010, 02:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

I too had the TBHP stickers on my plate till recently. Was pulled over by the cops once but I managed to wriggle out. Haven't put on any stickers since I got my Utsav plates though!
Old 5th July 2010, 04:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thats a rule,but, there are other 2 and 4 wheelers in Bangy itself which have illuminated/neon-ised/LED plated license plates which no one can make out whats scribbled on those plates. What about that ?
Old 5th July 2010, 09:07   #9
BHPian

Clarification : I am not Shantanu Mitra.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:20   #10
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I have t-bhp stickers on my number plates. They are not visible unless one sees them closely. But if it's a law, then it's a law. So guess I will have to do the most painful job of pulling them out. Actually, my ford ikon's plates are pretty huge (the standard one. nothing fancy here). So putting the transparent stickers with small red lettering doesn't even show up!
But what about dealers who put their stuff on the number plates? Pune is full of cars like that! There's even fancy red band below the numbers in the number plate.
And what about the aaicha aashirvad to dadacha punyayi stuff?
Old 5th July 2010, 12:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, it is expressly forbidden on the front plates. Its news to me that the back plates are supposed to be clean. I don't think I've seen any vehicle which doesn't have at least the dealers name on the rear plate!
Old 5th July 2010, 12:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

OT - One of my friend ( not a BHPian ) but knows TBHP very well even told me that our regular stickers LTD , LCLC etc can cause problems during insurance claims. I really don't know if that's true but i continue to sport them on my cars
Old 5th July 2010, 13:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
OT - One of my friend ( not a BHPian ) but knows TBHP very well even told me that our regular stickers LTD , LCLC etc can cause problems during insurance claims. I really don't know if that's true but i continue to sport them on my cars
Now that's a open statement. Probably they mistake this for a race car??? But, if an insurance guy denies the claim based on this, then you can certainly challenge him.

Its like saying all cars with Ferrari stickers are driven as in F1. Come on.

And back to topic, yes its against law to have any stickers on number plate other than the registration number. I would say so far the traffic police was lenient and now they wake up
Old 5th July 2010, 13:11   #14
BHPian

Insurance companies give a discount on the premium if you belong to some automobile community. I am sure they should also consider Tbhp. But i wonder what would get into sporting the Tbhp sticker on our vehicle! infact it should be like we shouldnt have any issues during insurance claim when we have a Tbhp sticker!
Old 5th July 2010, 13:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Now that's a open statement. Probably they mistake this for a race car??? But, if an insurance guy denies the claim based on this, then you can certainly challenge him.

Its like saying all cars with Ferrari stickers are driven as in F1. Come on.

And back to topic, yes its against law to have any stickers on number plate other than the registration number. I would say so far the traffic police was lenient and now they wake up
Well this statement was made taking into consideration the insurance issues as some freak insurance agent might get stubborn saying that the car was used for some rally/racing , but like i said i continue to sport them proudly w/o any fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Insurance companies give a discount on the premium if you belong to some automobile community. I am sure they should also consider Tbhp. But i wonder what would get into sporting the Tbhp sticker on our vehicle! infact it should be like we shouldnt have any issues during insurance claim when we have a Tbhp sticker!
Never heard that insurance companies give discounts if you belong to a automobile community otherwise don't you think everyone would become a part of one?

Well i don't even want to talk about claims..i've had my share of claims for this lifetime ..lol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks