Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 00:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

^^ That really doesn't help the ministers back either. There should be very few ones near significant places where there is a possiblilty of people testing their machines.
Old 10th July 2010, 02:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^^ But it really help the car's underneath & for sure our backs are better. Infact I've seen few of good spead barriers on Bangalore city that are little wider & do not throw away the cars. I admit, I really prefer them rather than short narrow as what you call the back breakers!!!
Old 10th July 2010, 02:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
^^^ But it really help the car's underneath & for sure our backs are better. I really prefer them rather than short narrow as what you call the back breakers!!!
El Correcto! If they have to be there for some reason then let it be better ones and scientific ones.
Old 10th July 2010, 02:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

High & over zealously built speed breakers were deemed illegal by Delhi High Court's ruling some years ago. the catalyst was a case similar to the one reported in this thread. We now have a set of rumble strips. I am surprised how the municipal authorities in KA/B'lore are turning a blind eye and are actually in contempt of court. Maybe a RTI query in this regard or a lead to an enterprising journalist can spur things.

On a lighter note, when I first read the title for a moment I thought the KA 'babus' were taking things too far by trying to control people's (humps) personal lives.
Old 10th July 2010, 02:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

If you don't mind the little OT, one of the worst thing in KA that I've seen is everything communicated on state highways are written in Kannada. I mean, if not English, let alone mark the places in Hindi. Worst being that on some stretches the distances are written in Kannada. Looks like the (republic of) KA Govt don't want foriegners (aliens from surrounding states) to pass by.

Coming back to topic, the Bangalore Mysore state highway was so excellent, so lovely that it had all the communication in Kannada & no marking for speed barriers except on very few places & even the speed barriers were back breakers.
Old 10th July 2010, 03:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

That is unfortunate. At times I wonder what the millions of people who gave up their homelands during the partition would think if they were to see the present day divided India.
Old 10th July 2010, 08:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

That Haralur Main Road needs to be relaid. Its stupid right now with humps every few metres.
Old 10th July 2010, 08:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticed a few speed breakers have been smoothened - the shape's now more gradual than the pipe-inspired stuff they were earlier. And relation to the aforementioned topic ?
Old 10th July 2010, 09:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

this is should apply to illegal "Humps" also.
Every Tom Dick and Harry puts up a speed breaker in front of his house for the sake of his convenience.
Old 10th July 2010, 09:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Have you noticed that the HAL airport through Raj Bhavan or Vidhana Soudha does not have any humps at all. Just to make the dignitaries drive smoothly.
At most places, the humps are the handiwork of people living in those areas.
Old 10th July 2010, 09:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Here's a suggestion on preventing accidents due to suddenly appearing speed breakers, particularly on main roads and highways / high speed roads :

At some distance before before every speedbreaker (say about 50 metres) small rumble strips should be provided (around 2 inches height). This can alert even a blind man that a big one is coming up, and so the speed will be reduced by the driver automatically, once the driver gets used to such a standardised combo of rumble strips / speedbreakers.

In case the above idea seems okay to all, I will try to send some mails to the authorities on this. And of course, include a note asking them to remove all humps at ridiculous locations like traffic signals and low speed zones

Last edited by mooza : 10th July 2010 at 09:42.
Old 10th July 2010, 11:00   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
srishiva : Have you noticed that the HAL airport through Raj Bhavan or Vidhana Soudha does not have any humps at all. Just to make the dignitaries drive smoothly.
But have you noticed Dr Ambedkar Road - the stretch of road between Vidhana Soudha & HighCourt ? That stretch of concrete road does not need speed breakers. Such is the even ness of this stretch. And very surprising that the netas have left it that way.
Old 10th July 2010, 13:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Here's a suggestion on preventing accidents due to suddenly appearing speed breakers, particularly on main roads and highways / high speed roads :

At some distance before before every speedbreaker (say about 50 metres) small rumble strips should be provided (around 2 inches height). This can alert even a blind man that a big one is coming up, and so the speed will be reduced by the driver automatically, once the driver gets used to such a standardised combo of rumble strips / speedbreakers.

In case the above idea seems okay to all, I will try to send some mails to the authorities on this. And of course, include a note asking them to remove all humps at ridiculous locations like traffic signals and low speed zones

@ Mooza

A set of 6~8 rumble strips are enough to slow people down to a near halt. It is an amusing sight to see people grind to a near halt as they hit the rumblers. In fact this in itself creates a mini jam as everyone crawls over these. So if you can get the rumble strips alone that would be perfect.
Old 10th July 2010, 14:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
So if you can get the rumble strips alone that would be perfect.
Yes, Khoj, I do agree, but many bus drivers and bigger vehicles, especially on wide roads within cities, who know the exact nature of these rumble strips (on account of repeated trips on the same roads) mercilessly zoom over them, as it hardly makes a difference to them. The speedbreaker after the rumble strips is targetted to make them effective against these drivers as well.

In narrower residential streets, yes, the rumble strips alone may work good enough, without breaking bones

Last edited by mooza : 10th July 2010 at 14:48.
Old 11th July 2010, 13:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
this is should apply to illegal "Humps" also.
Every Tom Dick and Harry puts up a speed breaker in front of his house for the sake of his convenience.
What? How is this even possible? Isn't breaking or damaging public property considered illegal? But how does one construct the tar road based hump? I don't understand as why people would do this in front of thier houses? I find this hard to believe as the neighbours themselves will object to this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks