Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay.Krishnan View Post

I was travelling with a friend who had an Indian license. He was pulled over for speeding. The cop let him go with a warning since he couldn't use his Indian license. Man! How i wish I was driving a rental car.lol
You can get a ticket on an indian driving licence. I know it because I got one!!! But I guess it is only in extreme cases. For small things like speeding etc mostly they'll let you off with a warning. Mine was for negligent driving as I caused an accident!!! (I rammed into a stationary car while negotiating a right turn!!) This happened 2 days before I was to come back to India and was driving a rental car. Fortunately there was no damage to my car (it was a Ford Taurus) but the other car (very old Camry) took the blow severly and would have required lot of denting work (the driver side gate was badly crashed). Luckily there was no injuries to anyone! Escaped with a very minor fine (84 USD, it was the state of NJ)
Old 23rd July 2010, 19:31   #17
Team-BHP Support

Vijay.Krishnan,

I don't know how it works for your ticket (in terms of paying vs "appealing" (?)) -- but lets assume you manage to go to traffic court :

Tell the judge you're a college student on a tight budget, and this was your first offense in 2 years of driving in the USA.

Hopefully he will either waive the fine, or split it in half.

If he doesn't do anything - dont argue - just pay the $200 and move on.

I've been to traffic court to contest a parking ticket (in RI)
- Many people dont bother to even show up
- Others are weirdos
- I've seen college students with $4,000 worth of parking tickets get 50% waived.

Me however, lost the "case" even though there was clearly no no-parking sign where i parked!@# Had to pay the damn $90 ticket and was pretty pissed off :(

Another time i got stopped for doing 91mph :S (it was in a 75 zone in the middle of nevada or nebraska...dont remember!) . Paid that with no arguments!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd July 2010 at 19:32.
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
It will be easy to pay up and you dont have to worry too much about what to do. You were over speeding. Cops cannot catch more than one person at a time.
Its really unfortunate though.
I guess that's right. I am just trying to reduce the fine, if possible, and more importantly, reduce the points on my license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
But try and think what would be more worth for you.
Do you want to take day/half day off to drive off to a distant court to fight a traffic ticket? I guess if you work for that 8 hours you can earn more than the ticket amount (IMO). So calculate the real cost and then decide to fight/pay off the ticket.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, the court is about 10 miles from where I live and Manager has agreed to give me half day off (coz he knows I put in abt 12-14 hrs daily and don't get paid overtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You can get a ticket on an indian driving licence. I know it because I got one!!! But I guess it is only in extreme cases. For small things like speeding etc mostly they'll let you off with a warning. Mine was for negligent driving as I caused an accident!!! (I rammed into a stationary car while negotiating a right turn!!) This happened 2 days before I was to come back to India and was driving a rental car. Fortunately there was no damage to my car (it was a Ford Taurus) but the other car (very old Camry) took the blow severly and would have required lot of denting work (the driver side gate was badly crashed). Luckily there was no injuries to anyone! Escaped with a very minor fine (84 USD, it was the state of NJ)
Wow! That was a first that I heard. You are right, you got the ticket probably because it was an accident and not speeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hopefully he will either waive the fine, or split it in half.

If he doesn't do anything - dont argue - just pay the $200 and move on.

cya
R
I have mentally decided that the fine amount would be $200, but I guess, it's human tendency to see if it can be less damaging.
Old 24th July 2010, 04:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! That was a first that I heard. You are right, you got the ticket probably because it was an accident and not speeding.
One of my friend was given speeding ticket while driving rental car in the US on old booklet type Indian license. That guy was driving on an empty road at 2AM with no cars in sight except one vehicle quite far away that was going in the same direction as him. He happily kept on driving at 85+ in 65 zone without realizing the car he was trying to catch up with was a cop .

Cop wasn't sure what to do so he wrote on the Indian license the date, time and location of the citation and then issued the normal ticket.

Since my friend is a frequent visitor here for business, he decided to pay it and move on.

Anyhow,

Back to the topic, When I received my first citation I went to the court here in CA to try and reduce the fine.

Judge gave me three options to choose from, Guilty (You accept the charge and pay fine), Not-Guilty (They will issue a trial date for you to present your case) or Traffic Court.

People who chose traffic court were shown leniency and had their fines reduced. Mine was reduced from 180 + Traffic School to 100 + Traffic School.

If you complete the online traffic school, you will have your points revoked.

I'm sure you will have similar options available to you if you decide to go to the court.
Old 26th July 2010, 22:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusES350 View Post
People who chose traffic court were shown leniency and had their fines reduced. Mine was reduced from 180 + Traffic School to 100 + Traffic School.

If you complete the online traffic school, you will have your points revoked.

I'm sure you will have similar options available to you if you decide to go to the court.
Thats exactly what I suggested in my 1st post, Defensive driving is the way to go if you don't want the points on your license. My brother got a ticket when driving to San Antonio, and I know for a fact that he did the course online and was able to forgo the points.
Also, if you do the defensive driving course, you get a discount on the annual premium for your insurance.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:57   #21
BHPian

Guys, i got a ticket in wisconsin- somewhere between sheboygan and green bay for doing an 81 on 65.

Points to be noted in Wisconsin, those guys are very strict with their speed limits, 70 is the max which you can do without getting pulled over 75 is a sure ticket. and the white cops in wisconsoin are kinda racists. No point talking to them _ I tried telling him that i was jet lagged by 18 hours, have be in houghton MI early morning for classes and all the only concession was he wrote me for 80 in a 65. and $200 down the drain.

For a comparison MI +11mph is cool and just a warning, and with speed limits of 70 I love MI.

IL or rather Chicago is free for all, whatever speed you do there will be somebody doing faster than that. Don't do insane stuff like 100 and all.

Well you can ask about the calibration thing in court.And another point you should ask is how is the cop sure that he got your speed and not the SUV's. If he used radar - radar gives only the fastest speed of a pack of vehicles. Don't admit your guilt.

don't testify. If you say that you were not speeding under oath- it is perjury and causes a lot more trouble.

Or like me you can hire a traffic lawyer and he'll fight it out for you. expenses from $300-$500.
Old 28th July 2010, 15:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Go to the court- explain the situation
1) First mistake
2) Explain the other SUV

They may reduce fine/point. My colleague had gone to court and his $180 fine was waived off, it happened in GA.

Other colleague had paid $1500 for doing 132 MPH on a 75 MPH zone on the way to Gatlinburg.
Old 28th July 2010, 15:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Something very funny happened with some of my colleagues on the other hand. They were driving in NJ and lazily jumped a light. Realized after sometime that a cop had been following them and asking them to pull over (that sound and lights show). They had driven for a mile or so actually without realising that they were being asked to pull over (it was their first time driving in US!) This was state of NJ by the way and a rental car. Anyway they stopped the car and waited for the cops to come over. The cop who approached them was really very angry as they had not immediately stopped the car when asked to. Anyway he checked their docs, told them of the crime commited (jumping the lights) and asked them for an address. Now the drama begin. They were driving on an Indian DL (issued in their hometown) so no US address, their I-Card/Passport had only an Indian address, car was a rental car and they were staying in a hotel (so no address proof!) The cop had no idea what address to use! So he told them that he has no idea what address to use and he would go and consult his seniors and so he left them there. These dudes waited for 15-20 mins, got too impatient and left the scene and returned to their hotel!!! Somebody later realised that it amounted to fleeing the crime scene so they actually drove back and found that cop still waiting for them. He was very angry with them really but all he could say was he did not know how to issue them a ticket so he would let them off with a strict warning!!!
It was quite amazing.
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:06   #24
BHPian

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I am sorry I could not reply before. Was tied up (and still am as I type in this reply) with work. Disadvantages of leading a team, I guess.

I have the court date this week and let's hope I get some break at the court. Certainly not getting it at work.

I'll try and speak to the prosecutor to reduce my points and fine. I think I won't be opting for traffic safety course, as in Wisconsin, it is a 32 hour classroom course with no option of doing it online. Found this info out by searching on google. Hope all's well that ends well.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:00   #25
BHPian

Well! Hello bhpians. Today was the D-day for my court hearing. Have just returned backed from the court.

Got an okay deal from the DA's office. The fine amount wasn't reduced. It still stays at $200 and I got 60 days to pay it. However, the 4 points on the license was struck off. My ticket has now been changed to a Parking Violation instead of a Speeding Violation. This will go on my driving records as a Parking Violation and will not raise my Insurance rates.

Whew! What a relief. I took the deal because if I had got points, the hike in my insurance would have eventually cost me more than $200. By the way, my insurance is up for renewal this month-end.
Thanks to all for their invaluable inputs. Helped me decide the course of action that I needed to take.
Old 7th August 2010, 14:57   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. My ticket has now been changed to a Parking Violation instead of a Speeding Violation. This will go on my driving records as a Parking Violation and will not raise my Insurance rates.
Glad it ended as you wanted but could not help being bewildered by the ticket change. It really shows that they wanted your money all along.

So I can murder and change in to a parking violation. Sounds like our Bangalore Police!
Old 8th August 2010, 13:35   #27
Team-BHP Support

Nice! Good deal for you and a win-win for the court too.

Only loser here is your insurance company - but they are probably milking you anyway

cya
R

PS - Aj, if you think about the fact that the officer did have the option to just let him off with a fine instead of writing him a ticket, it makes the eventual trade-off a little more justifiable.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th August 2010 at 13:36.
Old 8th August 2010, 21:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I was almost got a ticket for riding a cycle on sidewalk. Had to explain that bike lane was full with illegally parked vehicles.

Those on Business Visa and DL from India need to keep an eye on one aspect. If a parking ticket remains unpaid, it becomes a crime after a certain time. So, if you get a ticket and have to leave country before court date; you might face issues when you are coming back next time.
Old 9th August 2010, 09:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Glad it ended as you wanted but could not help being bewildered by the ticket change. It really shows that they wanted your money all along.

So I can murder and change in to a parking violation. Sounds like our Bangalore Police!
Thanks Ajmat. Yes. I'm glad that I didn't get the points on my license. It does seem they wanted the money all along. In fact, one of my client in office who travels daily from Illinois to Milwaukee said that the I94 at Racine is a money making machine. He daily sees at least 2 cars being pulled over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Only loser here is your insurance company - but they are probably milking you anyway
Yeah. You hit it right on!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks