Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:00   #1
BHPian

Kopi Money

Wanted to share a curious incident that happened recently while driving back from KL in to SG. We thought Bribing happens only in India and our neighbors in SEAsia

Last week, I along with my BIL did a quick trip to KL from SG. Had to go by 2 PM and returned back by 10PM. On our way back just before we entered Johor(KL-SG border), were stopped by cops. In fact all SG registered cars were flagged there for speeding.

The cop said You were doing 120Kmph. The reality was we were doing more than 180Kmph.

My BIL took out the licence and a 50 Ringett, and passed to the police. The cop did not even see the licence and let us go.

Apparently this is called "Kopi Money". Where 20 kms from the place were were flagged(SG), We would have been jailed and Caned for trying offer "Kopi Money". All SG drivers pay this "kopi money".

Once in a previous trip, while we were doing 190, there was a lamborghini who just overtook us like lightening. Apparently Singaporeans go across the border break all possible rules and pay up the bribe.

Here is an news article on this; STOMP - Singapore Seen - Paying 'kopi money' to Malaysian traffic police may land you 20 years in jail
Old 24th July 2010, 13:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to know.

But whats the actual fine like and is it cumbersome to pay the fine.
Old 24th July 2010, 22:04   #3
BHPian

@dadu, The fine is about 400 Ringetts. But the issue is you need to do a big detour to pay the fine before crossing the border :( .
Old 26th July 2010, 09:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

My cousin was telling me about his experience at the Johor Border where he bribed the cops. He was pulled over for over-speeding, I asked him if he was trying to con me and he said nopes it happens there and I was a little dumbstruck.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8 View Post
On our way back just before we entered Johor(KL-SG border), were stopped by cops. In fact all SG registered cars were flagged there for speeding.

The cop said You were doing 120Kmph. The reality was we were doing more than 180Kmph.

My BIL took out the licence and a 50 Ringett, and passed to the police. The cop did not even see the licence and let us go.
Just one question - Were this SG cops or KL cops? I'm sure they must've been KL cops & not SG cops. Could you pls help understand? Tks.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8 View Post
1]On our way back just before we entered Johor(KL-SG border), were stopped by cops.

2]My BIL took out the licence and a 50 Ringett, and passed to the police.

3]Where 20 kms from the place were were flagged(SG), We would have been jailed and Caned for trying offer "Kopi Money". All SG drivers pay this "kopi money".
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just one question - Were this SG cops or KL cops? I'm sure they must've been KL cops & not SG cops. Could you pls help understand? Tks.
@aargee,
yes,
they were Malaysian cops.

They got stopped near johor on kl-johor highway.
They offered 50 ringit to malaysian cops.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 26th July 2010 at 16:22.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Not surprising to know. Malaysia has always been the poor cousin of Singapore. They are always competing but, their economy cannot be comparable to Singaporeans anytime in future.

Hence, these lame efforts at making easy money
Old 26th July 2010, 17:54   #8
BHPian

@aargee, Yep This happens @ Mayalysia. We not even think of doing this in SG. I feel its more of the discipline and lesser bureaucracy to complete the formality.
Old 27th July 2010, 06:03   #9
J.Ravi

Last year, I did the driving from KL to Singapore with my niece and her family in a Honda Odyssey sometimes exceeding the speed limit, 110 kmph, IIRC. Luckily, we were not stopped by the cops. I was told that Malaysian cops were very fond of stopping Singapore-registered cars.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 27th July 2010 at 06:04.

Old 27th July 2010, 08:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was told that Malaysian cops were very fond of stopping Singapore-registered cars
In that case, I think mobike's comment is very true - easy way to extort money from SG.

Quote:
they were Malaysian cops.

They got stopped near johor on kl-johor highway.
They offered 50 ringit to malaysian cops
@Ashish sir - I made a right guess as long back I heard stories as how tourists are being cheated in KL while the same foriegner gets a different treatment in SG. What's more saddening is that, some of the KL guys who cheats Indians are Indians too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks