Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2014, 09:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Abuse of position on Indian roads by officials

Yup, I completely agree with you.
In the process of looking for a new apartment.
Ant not comfortable at all at the enforced house arrest till rescue by the police. One of my patients had to pay Rs 12,000 extra as I went late. I shudder to think if there was an emergency.
Old 25th May 2014, 14:28   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
She works in Aavin milk department and claims to be an IAS officer. She has 2 government cars ( ambassador and an SUV) and an autorickshaw for her personal use. Every morning the ambassador and auto come to pick her up and her files.
Can anything be done?
Since you say that she works in Aavin, I am assuming that you live in and around Chennai. If you are not satisfied with the resolution of the police inspector, you could visit the JC or AC in their respective office. Eg. St Thomas mount range JC's office is in Police Commissioner Office Road, St Thomas Mount. You can meet the JC and explain him the situation. He will definitely resolve your complaint but contacting JC will make your local inspector unhappy. Any complaints on police officers will also be entertained and immediate action will be taken. The JC will speak to the concerned police office through wireless in front of you.

Let me narrate a small incident. There was an attack on a senior citizen. The man stood up to a couple of young guys on a pulsar who were eve teasing a girl on a scooty. They beat Senior citizen up.

The next day complaint is lodged against the young guys on pulsar. Police sits on the complaint and they do not even trace the owner of the bike. Senior citizen’s children are hooked up. They decide to take the matters on their own. Father stops them from doing anything illegal. So the sons get in touch with RTO “contacts”, get the address and pass it on to the police. Despite this, the police sit on this and inform that the house is locked. The sons visit the house, find the same bike parked and there was movement in the house. The police get shell shocked when the sons provide all the details of the attacker and even offered to bring him to the station. The police warn against visiting the attacker and gets angry at the sons.

Family decides to escalate the issue, meets the JC. The same evening Senior citizen gets a call from the local police station to identify the attackers. Only the bike owner is arrested, his friend, a mechanic was on the run. It turns out that this young gun is a Diploma student

However since the JC was involved the police still booked a case. Section 91 I guess (not sure). Looks like if this student gets involved in such activities in the future and if a similar charge is slapped, he can be taken in under Goondas act.

(There is a suspicion that there might be some money transaction between the offender and the law keepers. Local police before getting the affected party’s consent booked the offender in the petty section. The police had also summoned the student’s father to plead with the Senior citizen to withdraw the complaint. The police also asked the senior citizen to claim the hospitalization charges from the attacker’s father. The senior citizen declines to take money) Since the Senior citizen didn’t want the guy’s life to be ruined with a criminal case, decides to withdraw the complaint.

The student was made to fall on his knees for mercy. The police informs the guy that all the details were provided by the senior citizen’s family and If the senior citizen wanted he could have even complained as attempt to murder and an eve teasing case which will result in a severe punishment.

Later came to know that before attacking the man, the student had challenged the senior citizen to do whatever best he can do. In the end the man’s son says to the student “If we had wanted, we could have done more. Do you want to challenge my father now?”

The family left the station happy. The offender got the punishment he deserved and justice was served.

After a while, the attacker comes to know that the senior citizen’s youngest son had contacts in his very own class. The expression on his face when he sees the senior citizen’s son with a gang of guys outside his college was priceless. Hope he had learnt his lesson.

May sound filmi, but staying in the same locality for more than 30 years has its own perks.
katchkamalesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 04:20   #63
BHPian

Mumbai Mayor Refuses To Remove Red Beacon

Sheer abuse of power from the newly elected mayor of the commercial capital of the country. She claims that she is equal to the Chief Minster.

Source link:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/42290828.cms

Quote:
MUMBAI: In a defiant move similar to her predecessor, newly-elected Mumbai mayor Snehal Ambekar has refused to remove the red beacon light on her official car.

Ambekar, 42, the first time Shiv Sena corporator, courted controversy on Wednesday by stating that a mayor is "equivalent to the chief minister" and thus, should be allowed to use a red beacon light on the official vehicle.

"If you ask my opinion, I think if the CM uses a red beacon, mayor is of the same level and thus should be allowed to use a red beacon (fitted car). Whenever a VIP comes to the city, the mayor goes to receive him as a representative of the people. The mayor should, therefore, have a standard," she said.

Reacting to Ambekar's statement, chief minister Prithviraj Chavan remarked that everyone should follow rules.

"There is a Constitution ... There are rules," he told a television news channel on Wednesday evening.

According to a recent state government's list, a mayor is not entitled to use a red beacon light on his official car.

Former mayor Sunil Prabhu too had refused to follow the directives and had written to the chief minister saying that it was a "traditional right" of the mayor to use a car with a red beacon light.

Ambekar, a former LIC officer who had won the municipal elections from G-South (Parel) ward, was elected the city mayor on Tuesday. She is the fourth woman corporator to occupy the post in the history of Brihnamumbai Municipal Corporation
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 10:04   #64
BANNED

@JosrVijay; Disgusting of the mayor. On one hand you have the minister for Civil Aviation insisting on normal frisking at airports and then this on the other side.

We are just too used to the priviledge culture. I have never seen the M4 blocked for her majesty driving down from or to Windsor from Buck house.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 22:37   #65
BHPian

I received a reminder of the allure of power a few days ago. Travelling from Kidderpore to Park Circus, I was at speeds of 50-55 on AJC Bose Road, near SSKM Hospital and preparing to ride up the AJC Bose Road flyover. The road here is one of the wider ones in Kolkata and is about 7-8 lanes on each side.
While the traffic was surging ahead a police officer stepped into the middle of the road and put out his hand. The act was very sudden and a number of cars including myself had to do heavy braking to comply; a car two lanes away got rear ended slightly. I frantically double checked the signal to see whether I had inadvertently missed it - but it was green. Then I looked around for an ambulance in a hurry or a handicapped person crossing but no.
Imagine my astonishment when I see two other young policemen eating singharas, laughing away and crossing the road after which the officer withdrew his hand and ordered traffic to resume - and then it struck me like the proverbial bulb lighting inside the head -- this whole sudden stop was engineered to permit them to cross the road at pleasure. By then the signal had genuinely changed to red so while I seethed in anger for 3 minutes I was able to witness them share a snack break on the side of the road in what was obviously a festive occasion.
Even now I wonder at what a brazen abuse of power these cops got away with.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th March 2018 at 11:32. Reason: edited for better readability
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 14:26   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
I received a
Hi Kumarji

Good Day.

Its sad to know what had happened.infact here in hyderabad even some of the GHMC contractors, the corporators have a red sticker and a trangular flag on their suv's and cars. Today while on my way to work i was suprised to see a vehicale which read "regulators vehicle"...I do not know what department it was for.I sometimes feel if something would happen to get this resolved if issues like these are bought to the attention of our dear PM.

Regards
Sushil
Old 21st August 2017, 15:17   #67
BHPian

What happens to the common man when the people who are entrusted with the responsibilty of law and order misuse it? Yesterday I was on my way to office and was enjoying my drive in the monsoon when a police van came to play spoilsport. The way it was driven baffled me. We often see cars driven rashly on roads but the sight of a big police van cutting across lanes, jumping red signals and tailgating terrified me. I took a video of the incident and tried to contact the traffic control room but they kept giving me some other number to call. The vehicle number was MH 06 AA 422

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2017 at 15:57. Reason: typos
Old 22nd August 2017, 08:48   #68
Senior - BHPian

@ Akib Khan

I would request you to upload such type of videos on YouTube and share the links on social networks so that some day some one will take notice and probably even an action over this.

Sorry for being .

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2017 at 15:57. Reason: Quoted post edited
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:20   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I would request you to upload such type of videos on YouTube and share the links on social networks so that some day some one will take notice and probably even an action over this.

Sorry for being .
Hi, yes I will upload it today on YouTube. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Akib Khan : 22nd August 2017 at 10:22.
Old 29th August 2017, 16:05   #70
BHPian

Hyderabad Traffic Police fine their own for violating rules after politician's viral campaign

Some positive change seems to be coming.

Quote:
Hyderabad-based politician Amjed Ullah Khan’s campaign #Practicewhatyoupreach, aimed at getting policemen to follow traffic rules seems to have had the desired effect, less than two weeks after it was launched.

Based on Khan’s tweets where he had highlighted various instances of traffic violations by the police, the Hyderabad Traffic Police on Friday issued challans to as many as four vehicle owners.

For two weeks, Amjed Khan has been on a tweeting spree, constantly putting out photos and videos of policemen flouting the norms, and also tagging Telangana DGP Anurag Sharma as well as Telangana Municipal Administration and Urban Development Minister KT Rama Rao.
DriverR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 18:16   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Hyderabad Traffic Police fine their own for violating rules after politician's viral campaign.
Signs of good times, I presume!

When Hyderabad does it, can Bengaluru fall behind? A Tiger (a tow truck owned by the traffic police themselves) was fined for wrong parking after locals complained about the same.

Quote:
The Halasuru police have fined their own towing truck 'Tiger' for parking at no parking zone, setting a precedence that nobody can escape fine for violation, reported Kannada Prabha.

The driver of Tiger belonging to Halasuru traffic police station was always parking the truck on the footpath of a school. The school children would be greatly inconvenienced by this, as they had to step down to the main road, with heavy traffic. The locals had complained against this several times but to no result.

The police station had made a place for parking Tiger at the station, yet the driver was in the habit of parking on the footpath. Following public complaint the police had warned the driver, yet he continued his habit. Hence the police official imposed fine on him.
Source
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 10:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Rather an old news/incident but have a look at how an MP ( Member of Parliament) threatening toll plaza employees with a gun.

Quote:
Congress MP Vitthal Radadia brandished a gun at operators of a Vadodara toll booth who dared him to show his identity card to avoid toll tax following which he was booked for rioting and threatening people.

The MP apparently enraged at the temerity of the toll plaza attendant, who asked for the original I—card after his driver had shown a photocopy, menacingly held his double—barrelled shotgun aloft while stalking the area in front of the booth and repeatedly tapping the glass enclosure with the barrel. MPs are exempted from paying toll tax on highways across the country.

The incident happened near Karjan on National Highway 8 on the intervening night of October 10—11.
News Source : http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le12555178.ece

Old 12th March 2018, 11:06   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Here in Hyderabad, the VIPs' vehicles have a new way of announcing their arrival and making way for them. After the red beacons had to be removed, these rogues install sirens (used by Police and Ambulance) and keep blaring them. Then they drive their white Fortuners or Scorpios extremely aggressively while using the siren with abundance. Sometimes there are people sitting in the front passenger seat or in their own 'pilot' vehicle in front, who shout and abuse people in front to clear the way.

The most irritating part is the high pitched siren which is confusing. I assume there's some ambulance which is coming and I try to make way. And then I see a white car with red sticker stating some confusing designation which is bullying its way through the traffic.

One day, I driving on the ORR (a 8 lane road) and was on the extreme right lane. I was going at a shade less than 100kmph which which is speed limit on the road and most of the lanes were empty. A white Scorpio comes charging at me, starts tailing me and blaring the siren. There was some Red flash light inside the car as well (new way to break the rules). I couldn't understand why the car didn't use the other 3 empty lanes if it was in a hurry. On the car, the red sticker read some corporator or something similar. I then decided I have had enough and didn't budge from my lane. The car tailed me closely for a good 4-5 kms with it siren shouting continuously. Then my exit came I moved while the Scorpio continued on the ORR.

Last edited by ashis89 : 12th March 2018 at 11:15.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 21:40   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The car tailed me closely for a good 4-5 kms with it siren shouting continuously. Then my exit came I moved while the Scorpio continued on the ORR.
Though I would appreciate your guts to stand up against this misuse of official position, I will still ask you to refrain from locking horns with these people especially in ORR. We know the conditions of ORR & it's isolation from any form of help. Unless you are a well connected guy, your safety is important.

Think twice before locking arms with thugs in isolated spots.
prithm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 21:53   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Though I would appreciate your guts to stand up against this misuse of official position, I will still ask you to refrain from locking horns with these people especially in ORR. We know the conditions of ORR & it's isolation from any form of help. Unless you are a well connected guy, your safety is important.

Think twice before locking arms with thugs in isolated spots.
Thanks for your concern and advice. Ideally I should have moved away.

I had the exact same thought running through my mind at that time. But something snapped in my head after hearing the blare especially when there were empty lanes to overtake me. I decided to hold my lane. This was between Rajendra Nagar and Gachibowli which is not a deserted stretch. I exited at Gachibowli while the Scorpio continued towards Patancheru.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks