Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2018, 22:17   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Abuse of position on Indian roads by officials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
One day, I driving on the ORR (a 8 lane road) and was on the extreme right lane. I was going at a shade less than 100kmph which which is speed limit on the road and most of the lanes were empty. A white Scorpio comes charging at me, starts tailing me and blaring the siren.
Though yes the Scorpio was definitely in the wrong in being super impatient, So were you! The innermost lane is an overtaking lane in multi-lane roads. You don't hog it all the time. You overtake and move into one of the outer lanes.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 22:30   #77
BANNED

I guess I am the odd one out here, I frequently get into locking horns with such people (probably because I have been there, as they say BTDTGTTS).

The biggest idiocy these days I see in Delhi NCR is young chaps driving their cars (Mainly Swift/DZire and Creta - no offense to owners) with a Police cap or Delhi Police file kept on the dashboard. Most of such cars have a hooter / siren installed and you will 90% of times find a young guy inside with a friend or two and trying to bully around everyone on the road.

Last year we had the LED lighting project while working as contractors (Contractor == connections) and since it was a huge project, we used to move around inside Delhi a lot, so I was driving around in my Polo when I had a Creta coming opposite to me on a one way road flashing its headlights and Polich sign on the windshield. With no space (actually there was, but I wanted to see his face) on my right, I kept on moving till our cars were smack 2 feet away from each other. I was already out of the solid line and it was quite tight too. First this guy flashed his lights and then moved the Creta further by around 6 inches, I engaged first gear and left the clutch until the gap was hardly 1 inch. He reversed his car and i moved to front, he reversed further and I kept moving leaving no space for him to switch to other lane.

He stopped, I stopped, came out, locked my car and went inside the McDonalds to have a burger and 2 cold coffees. This is when I first time discovered that Creta had 3 occupants and all three in their mid twenties. They were literally fuming and they had a Police cap placed on the dashboard. All three came inside McDonalds where I was placing my order. This guy approached me and directly asked if I know him or not? I turned back and asked "cold coffee or hot coffee?"

He was a bit surprised and then all three started speaking something telling me all 'this' and 'that' in the world. I took my order, went into my car, took out my weapon license, gave to that guy and simply asked him if he wants to see the thing next to this booklet. Told them to better get lost before I lose my cool and they end up having to call the man who gave them that police cap, and whoa!! It was all solved, they silently let me take right lane and kept moving in the opposite direction till next red light.

Actually it was all heat of the moment and something which I have learned to control in last one year, peace is the best thing to have and it's better to give way to such people and let them enjoy without spoiling our own mood and day.

Last edited by VKumar : 12th March 2018 at 22:31.
VKumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 22:56   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Though yes the Scorpio was definitely in the wrong in being super impatient, So were you! The innermost lane is an overtaking lane in multi-lane roads. You don't hog it all the time. You overtake and move into one of the outer lanes.
Let’s agree to disagree here. I was going fast enough to be in that lane, faster than other cars in other lanes and I was just within the speed limits. So I wasn’t wrong there. And I wasn’t blocking the road as there were free lanes for those rare few who want to break the speed limits.

On most of the days, I prefer 80 kmph and stick to lane 2-3.
Old 13th March 2018, 09:01   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Quote:
Let’s agree to disagree here. I was going fast enough to be in that lane, faster than other cars in other lanes and I was just within the speed limits. So I wasn’t wrong there. And I wasn’t blocking the road as there were free lanes for those rare few who want to break the speed limits.

Nothing to disagree to. Its plain and simple as reignofchaos has already said -- The right lane is for overtaking. As per the highway code, you are supposed to use the left most lane possible. Which means even if you are driving at the speed limit, you don't sit in the right hand side lane! Other than it being a rule, it's also basic courtesy.
Samir Taheer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 09:33   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here in Hyderabad, the VIPs' vehicles have a new way of announcing their arrival and making way for them. After the red beacons had to be removed, these rogues install sirens (used by Police and Ambulance) and keep blaring them.
Noticed the same thing last week on a trip to Hyd. A white Fortuner had an ambulance type of horn and was using that to nudge its way past vehicles in dense traffic. Really shows the levels people can stoop down to to just get ahead in traffic. Like you mentioned, I too mistook it for an ambulance at first.
Old 13th March 2018, 10:48   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Nothing to disagree to. Its plain and simple as reignofchaos has already said -- The right lane is for overtaking. As per the highway code, you are supposed to use the left most lane possible. Which means even if you are driving at the speed limit, you don't sit in the right hand side lane! Other than it being a rule, it's also basic courtesy.
The last two left most lanes are reserved for Trucks here in Hyd ORR and they usually move at snails pace. But as said, ashis89 could have moved to immediate left lane.

End of the day, peace of mind and a unhurt body in one single piece is more important. Why spoil your day by drenching your foot into slush than give way and wish Karma will take care of it.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 14:41   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
The last two left most lanes are reserved for Trucks here in Hyd ORR and they usually move at snails pace. But as said, ashis89 could have moved to immediate left lane.

End of the day, peace of mind and a unhurt body in one single piece is more important. Why spoil your day by drenching your foot into slush than give way and wish Karma will take care of it.
I will have to say that ashis89 SHOULD have moved into the next lane, as rightly mentioned by Samir, the extreme right lane is only supposed to be used for overtaking, and once your overtaking maneuver is completed, you're supposed to move to the left lane.

Quote:

With all due respect, I don't think you shouldn't be advocating that it's ok for people to have to overtake you from the left side, especially on the highway/freeway/ORR. It is downright dangerous besides being against the road rules.
As mentioned by Samir already, you should have moved to the left lane since you had space to do so. If people want to drive higher than the speed limit, then let the law deal with them when they get caught. Just because you're driving at the speed limit doesn't mean that you can hog the rightmost lane.
Just FYI, people get fined for hogging the overtaking lane here in Europe. If someone is driving faster than the speed limits, then they will face the law when they get caught. But, two wrongs don't make a right, and while the Scorpio driver might have been wrong in driving faster than the speed limit, you were also wrong in sticking to the lane which is meant to be used for overtaking.

I hope you put your personal safety first if you're ever in a similar situation in the future!

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 16:53   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

I shed tears of joy upon reading this thread. Glad to know that I wasn't the only one who has noticed all the bullying by people with vehicles having political flags and assorted stickers such as - 'media', 'army', 'merchant navy' (what the...?), 'lawyer', 'police', 'human rights organization' etc.

Moreover, from having symbols of power displayed on SUVs and MUVs 5-10 years back, these days even hatchbacks and Scooters have symbols of power on them. As Russell Peters might put it - whenever I see a political flag on a two-wheeler or hatchback, I think to myself 'who is this guy...is he a goon with an inferiority complex?'

Most Viewed