Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:00   #1
BHPian

Mugged at Ethipothala, Nagarjuna Sagar by alleged Naxals

What was supposed to be a quick weekend getaway turned out on a sour note at Ethipothala waterfalls near Nagarjuna Sagar. Folks in Hyd would know this place as the only getaway that's under 200kms from the city and is a fairly decent place to hangout. Sagar is around 150kms from Hyd and Ethipothala another 15kms from there towards Guntur/Macherla.

Coming to the incident, I headed to Sagar last wkend along with my kid, wife, her sis and hubby. We decided to stay overnight at Ethipothala (APTDC has a few functional cottages there) and in the morning around 7:30am we went down from the view point towards Dattatreya temple - there are proper steps to reach this place. While coming back, the ladies and the kid went ahead while me and my co-brother stopped at places, exploring in the bushes to see if we can get closer to the water and were taking pics etc.,

There were a couple of guys, in their early 20s, looking like normal college-goers, were also there. After a while, one of them suddenly pulled out a revolver (don't know if it was genuine/fake - didnt want to find out!) and asked for whatever we had. Since it was a morning walk, we didnt carry any wallets, but had to part with gold chain and bracelets. They said they were Naxals from Orrisa, a gang of 22 and are desparately looking for money. They even said Sorry we had to do this to you, all in proper Hindi. We didn't resist and all this happened in seconds and they vanished into the forests.

We then came upto the cottage, called the security, they in turn called the police who were quite cooperative. Since there was a Naxal angle, there was lot of keenness in the case and even anti-naxal ops team arrived. They took our statements right there - even media came over hearing Naxal attack.

All in all, bad experience for the explorers in us. This spot was hardly a couple of hundred meters from the waterfall view point and such an incident so close to a popular tourist spot is indeed scary!
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:08   #2
BHPian

This is really sad!!

I feel really sorry for you - going on a wonderful outing with family and having such a scary experience! Thankful that nothing bad happened to anyone.

I would suggest that you go on a couple of outings (in fairly crowded areas) at the earliest to (kind of) erase these memories . Else, you would have this memory haunting you every time you think of going on an outing.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:10   #3
BHPian

That's a scary experience. However, its good to know that they did not harm you other than taking away the valuables. I am sure you and your family must be shaken, hope you guys have recovered from the incident.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Gosh, scary indeed! It is good that you took a wise decision instead of trying to find out if the pistol was a real one.
There are a good number of cops who screen vehilces near Nagarjunasagar. We were once stopped by cops holding AK 47s and questioned as to who we were and where we were heading. On being satisfied, they apologized and said they were combing for naxals.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:11   #5
BHPian

Wow. I remember visiting this place during the night :O . I do know that naxals are quite active in this area. I had to stay near nagarjuna sagar for a month or so on official work and had to visit remote villages and used to hear that naxals were quite active in this area. But I'm not sure if the people you met were real naxals or not. Lucky that the incident didn't turn too ugly.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sriram,
Sad to know of the incident.
We also went to Nagarjuna sagar and Ettipotala on 18th of june, but that was a day visit and we cam back by evening.
At Ettipotala, some guys were down the stream and the security there was alert enough to sound the warning to them to come back. Those guys looked like regular teenagers from around the area.
IMO those who looted you may not be naxals, but some thugs who just got lucky. Glad to know that everyone is safe and that they didn't harm anyone.
May be just some thugs out there to spoil the name of the place, but good to see that officials and security were prompt on your reporting of the incident.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:25   #7
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Oh man. Normally Naxals don't attack civilians. They are against the law. Thank god your family was ahead else they'd have panicked and you'd have been in bigger trouble.
And thank god, you people are alive. I feel that those are local thugs who are conveniently using the garb of naxals to create fear in minds of travellers to part with cash/ gold. But one never knows. I hear that nowadays even school children are lured in to Naxalism.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a shocking incident. Been visiting Nagarjunsagar since last 2 decades and never had any unpleasant experience and most visits are day trips

I stayed overnight at Vijay Vihar twice in the past and this place seems safe wherein Ethipothla falls is bit out of the main track and not worth the risk of staying overnight. Even heard some ghost stories at the APTDC guest house in Ethipothla Falls.

Good to know you were not hurt. How much worth did you lose?
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

oops,
really scary and shocking!!

The only place for hydz to hang out and this incident.

Now a days, its really risky to stay at or near lone places.
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:28   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the empathy guys.

Yes, it's very much possible that these were local youth - but the locals there were surprised as there had been no such incident in the past and neither are the locals known to posses fire arms. Incidentally, these 2 were hanging out in the area for a while and one of them was clicked in a random photo by another tourist. If they're local, am sure they'd be caught. Post our complaint, road blocks were set-up both in and out of Sagar and all vehicles were being checked.

We were quite lucky to be left unharmed. Infact the youth seemed nervous, they were courteous (!) and didn't seem to be seasoned (I assume seasoned ones are aggressive and don't indulge in small talk). Anyways, we lost about 50k worth gold items, per current market rates.

I had stayed in this place almost 6yrs back. I had even went down to the temple in the morning - there's a staircase that leads you down to the jungles and you get some nice viewpoints of the falls and get to see the stream up-close. It's not a prohibited route or something.

I agree Vijay Vihar is definitely a safer place and better place to stay.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KESriram View Post
What was supposed to be a quick weekend getaway turned out on a sour note at Ethipothala waterfalls near Nagarjuna Sagar. Folks in Hyd would know this place as the only getaway that's under 200kms from the city and is a fairly decent place to hangout. Sagar is around 150kms from Hyd and Ethipothala another 15kms from there towards Guntur/Macherla.

Coming to the incident, I headed to Sagar last wkend along with my kid, wife, her sis and hubby. We decided to stay overnight at Ethipothala (APTDC has a few functional cottages there) and in the morning around 7:30am we went down from the view point towards Dattatreya temple - there are proper steps to reach this place. While coming back, the ladies and the kid went ahead while me and my co-brother stopped at places, exploring in the bushes to see if we can get closer to the water and were taking pics etc.,

There were a couple of guys, in their early 20s, looking like normal college-goers, were also there. After a while, one of them suddenly pulled out a revolver (don't know if it was genuine/fake - didnt want to find out!) and asked for whatever we had. Since it was a morning walk, we didnt carry any wallets, but had to part with gold chain and bracelets. They said they were Naxals from Orrisa, a gang of 22 and are desparately looking for money. They even said Sorry we had to do this to you, all in proper Hindi. We didn't resist and all this happened in seconds and they vanished into the forests.

We then came upto the cottage, called the security, they in turn called the police who were quite cooperative. Since there was a Naxal angle, there was lot of keenness in the case and even anti-naxal ops team arrived. They took our statements right there - even media came over hearing Naxal attack.

All in all, bad experience for the explorers in us. This spot was hardly a couple of hundred meters from the waterfall view point and such an incident so close to a popular tourist spot is indeed scary!

I have exactly same bad / scary experiance with those so called "Mao" group some months ago. I was in orissa - raipur border.

check this thread....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...condition.html
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Oh man. Normally Naxals don't attack civilians. They are against the law. Thank god your family was ahead else they'd have panicked and you'd have been in bigger trouble.
And thank god, you people are alive. I feel that those are local thugs who are conveniently using the garb of naxals to create fear in minds of travellers to part with cash/ gold. But one never knows. I hear that nowadays even school children are lured in to Naxalism.
Dear MX6...

Those days are gone when Naxels are fight for some noble cause(Free people from land lord).

i am from orissa. And i know how we are affected by those anti social elements.

Now they involve in narcotics/arm deal/Extortion money from mines etc.
now they are killing everyone who oppose them. They are killing very innocent people. (Check the link in previous post)

its possible that locals may using naxels name but no one can check at that time.

I request all Bhpian..PLZ PLZ dont go to naxel affected jungle/Camp/road trip. If possible avoid those route/place. Try to finished your trip at daylight only. Never start your journey too early morning.

PS:- The above are strictly for Naxel affected area only.

Last edited by KALINGA : 2nd August 2010 at 17:23.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:28   #13
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear that naxals are now training their guns at other things. And their breed seems to grow and spread to all areas now.
Anyway, me and my wife seldom wear any ornaments. The only thing that I wear is my engagement ring which is pegged at may be 10K or so, but worth more than monetary stuff. I guess it's time to buy pepper spray.
KESriram. 50K isn't big. You are alive. That's priceless. If they are locals, I'm sure that after the police take their cut, you'll get back a portion of your lost stuff.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Sriram - Thank God that you & your family are safe. Lost money or gold can be gained at some point in future.

@Kalinga - I kinda rend to think that those guys weren't naxals & might've used the word naxals to threaten. Whatever be it, we should be glad they left them unharmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6
The only thing that I wear is my engagement ring which is pegged at may be 10K or so, but worth more than monetary stuff.
Very true with me too, I have imagined this kind of situation several times like what if someone harms for this? Most of the time I don't have clue if I need to fight or just leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6
I guess it's time to buy pepper spray
Nope; pepper spray or even a gun would only aggitate them, when they're in a gang.

@Sriram - Appreciate that you've shared this incident & provided a headsup for everyone here.

Last edited by aargee : 2nd August 2010 at 17:48.
Old 4th August 2010, 14:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sad to here about the incident. I too regularly visit Ethipothala but never stayed there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks