Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 04:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Container toppled from a truck? Hyundai is located at Chennai, and i doubt if Hyundai will rent a container truck to transport these cars from the factory to the port, which would hardly be 20 odd kms!
I have seen rows of Hyundai container trucks waiting to enter the port. And it is about 45 KM from Sriperumbudur to Port Even to ship cars to HMP in Ekkaduthangal or to KUN in Ambattur, which are ~30 KM from the factory, they use lorries that carry cars about.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:06   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
it still breaks my heart to see absolutely brand new cars in this state.
Quote:
The salesperson who was in charge of my account told me that there were also two Civics in that lot. I didn't see them. I don't think I could gather the courage to even if they were right in front of me.
Let me reiterate that us car guys are absolutely nuts!! Who can understand us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
I really hope that they are not dumped on some unsuspecting soul.
Neither Honda nor the dealer would have any interest to. Cars have in-transit insurance. They'd rather accept a cheque from the insuring company, than waste time tinkering with these cars.

The insurance company will reimburse them, and sell the cars off to a dealer / body shop. This kinda dealer makes a fat packet from repairing & reselling these cars on. Remember my crushed OHC Vtec? There's dealers sitting on my head with offers of 1.2 lakhs. This, for a car that's in its 8th year.

The insurance company isn't whining either. Business from the large automotive brands run into crores. This kind of damage payout is chump change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Sad to see this, but still this can be considered only as a minor incident when compared to the infamous Cougar Ace incident which forced Mazda to destroy a whopping 4703 cars even though most cars were not really damaged
Who can forget the Cougar Ace accident! Want to read the most amazing, highly detailed story on tilting the ship back in place? Click here. Keep an hour aside...yet its well worth it.
Old 9th August 2010, 22:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Who can forget the Cougar Ace accident! Want to read the most amazing, highly detailed story on tilting the ship back in place? Click here. Keep an hour aside...yet its well worth it.
Thrilling story, well researched and very well-written. Thanks for the link sir.

It’s easy to read it and ignore the fact that a prominent team member (Marty Johnson) died trying to save the ship and its cargo.

And in the end, all that cargo was destroyed by Mazda, citing possible trouble in future.

So, in the end, what's the bottom line? I don’t know.
Old 19th August 2010, 17:06   #19
BHPian

We had actually bought 5 Tata Indicas in 2002 which were caught in a shipment accident. The cars had no major damages excepts for a scratches.They were bought for our office use and We got huge discounts. But Tata made sure we did not have a warranty. We did not even get the User Manuals.

Since they were petrol cars, and very costly to run , we sold them off after 3 years.
Old 20th August 2010, 06:51   #20
BHPian

I don't think all of them are totalled, are they?

HONDA will repair it and who knows, one of them will be in spadix's hands
Old 20th August 2010, 08:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
I don't think all of them are totalled, are they?

I agree with you Googleman, they will be sold as lemons to some unfortunate customers.
Old 20th August 2010, 16:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
If I get one for free, why not?

If Honda really doesn't do that, they would've at least agreed to give away the chromed double-barrel exhaust tip of the Civic (from one of the two damaged Civics) for essentially loose change.

Or tight change, knowing Honda.

So this now puts doubts in my mind!

Regards,
spadix
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:28   #23
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2010 at 19:24.
Googleman is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th August 2010, 11:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Such cars are auctioned as scrap. Thereafter depending upon the damage they are either dismantled or more often than not they are repaired and restored and then sold off by scrap dealers at a nice profit. At times they are also picked up by individual buyers and then repaired. 3 years back one of my friends picked up an Indica V2 for about Rs 1,60,000, spent about 25K on repairs and had a brand new car which si still going on fine without any problems. The car can then be registered with the RTO on the sale letter of the dealer and the insurance report after repairs. Its almost the same case as picking up Army auctioned jeeps and then registering them after restoration.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The insurance company will reimburse them, and sell the cars off to a dealer / body shop. This kinda dealer makes a fat packet from repairing & reselling these cars on. Remember my crushed OHC Vtec? There's dealers sitting on my head with offers of 1.2 lakhs. This, for a car that's in its 8th year.
GTO, I am not sure of that. Once the insurance company settles a total loss, the RC will be struck off the record books. This is standard procedure. Only an unscrupulous used car dealer/agent will create a book for it and try to resell it. But officially that car is dead.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:54   #26
mkh
Senior - BHPian

If i were a scrap dealer, don't mind buying one of these every 2-3 years for peanuts and just having fun! Most of the cars today have spares and parts available at ease, so anything that goes wrong can be repaired with out the need to got the Manufacturer( this is if the damage is only to the surface)
There are ample cars that are on the road where there is no insurance and which were bought for low costs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks