Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 11:49   #1
BHPian

Be careful : Dangerous stretch of road from Lajpat Nager to AIIMS flyover

Dear Fellow Drivers in Delhi,

As usual, today morning the inner ring road was jammed, with office goers inching their way to work. However, as I approached South Extension from AIIMS flyover, the traffic movement became poorer. It took me close to 45 minutes to cover the mentioned stretch of road (approx. 1 km.).

As I reached NDSE, I was shocked by what I saw : a young man lay dead on the road in a pool of blood, his body completely mangled. He had been hit by a speeding tempo from the opposite of the road from behind, had overshot the road divider at a tangent and had been further hit by an oncoming car from the other side (on the side I was).

The reason was abrupt braking by the car in front of him on approaching a dug up ditch with no sign boards around.

The place has been dug out for some Commonwealth Games related beautification work on either side of the road at the NDSE II side. There are no warning sign boards of indicators that deep digging work is in progress. To add to the problem, the dug out mud has been collected around the pit and makes the road slippery on rainy days.

Everyday as I drive by, I see mangled vehicles which have, along with their drivers and riders suffered on account of the carelessness of Delhi (S)Administration. Other colleagues have also suffered problems because of this project.

I myself had been hit by sharp concrete bars placed at an incline during a rainy day about a month ago. The well meaning policeman who came to my rescue informed me that mine was the 3rd car hit that very evening. Apparently the contractors and labourers vanished from the scene the moment it started raining, leaving behind even their sharp tools used for digging, practically in the middle of the road. I had to incur close to INR 45000 on the repair of my Fiesta.

As a mother of 3 teenaged kids, I was close to tears at what I saw today morning. I just cannot imagine how his parents would react to this tragic loss.

Bike riders and scooterists, please secure your helmets firmly on your head while you are on the road.

Take care
SM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks