Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 10:50   #16
BANNED

The new rates of INR 9.00/km is nothing but daylight robbery. That contraption hardly costs INR 3.00/km to run and maintain.

No wonder 80% of auto drivers look like well fed goons on the streets.

I m all for it.
Old 10th August 2010, 10:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how much impact this can make in an auto driver's daily income. Almost nil!!
Old 10th August 2010, 11:37   #18
BHPian

My recent experience with Bangy Auto

I visited Bangy after 8 months last week and I was horrified how the Auto driver community has changed for the worse. Here are my experiences from the 3 day stay

1. Arrived at Silkboard at 6.30 AM and hailed an auto to go to ITPL road past Cosmos Mall. First bidder - Rs 600. Final Bid - Rs 250. Came to later from my brother that the meter fare would be in the region of 150 -170.

2. Koramangala to ITPL Road at 8.30 PM the same day - Driver agrees to the meter. Analog meter shows 131 after a reset at 99.50. Driver pulls out a signed chart and translates that to 170

3. Next morning - ITPL Road to Koramangala. Driver says Meter not functioning and demands a Flat rate of 170. As I was running late for my meeting, I had to give in.

4. Third day morning - found an Auto with Digital meter. Driver wants Meter + 2Rs per KM (for new fare). Since it sounded reasonable I agreed to it but on reaching my office in Koramangala, he wanted 20 Rs over the Meter

Overall, I noticed that they are a greedier lot now like their Chennai cousins and are no longer the trustworthy lot that they were. Next time I am in Bangalore, I will only use the call taxis even if they are expensive. Or better use the buses which seem to be frequent.

If I happen to be in Bangy on 12th Aug, I will surely boycott the Autos.
Old 10th August 2010, 14:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
Overall, I noticed that they are a greedier lot now like their Chennai cousins and are no longer the trustworthy lot that they were. Next time I am in Bangalore, I will only use the call taxis even if they are expensive. Or better use the buses which seem to be frequent.

If I happen to be in Bangy on 12th Aug, I will surely boycott the Autos.
The best thing to do would be to take a cab. I have stopped using autos even if it means i have to walk a long distance to catch a bus. Most of the Auto guys in Bangalore are thugs and I don't want to support them.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Really a good move & Chennai should also soon adopt this strategy. IMO, these guys cannot be making over Rs 1000 a day, even if they make, most of the part should go to greasing the babus, otherwise, they can't survive for long. If these guys make atleast 20K a month, I'm sure they would be owning new auto rickshaw every year isn't it?
Old 10th August 2010, 16:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

I also would love to be a part of this. Because of the crazy traffic on BLR, I avoid taking my car on certain days and take an auto. But knowing these guys fleese us so much is outrageous

Not only did they get a hike in meter rates, these damn guys still have fixed meters. Talk of being greedy
Old 10th August 2010, 16:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Not only did they get a hike in meter rates, these damn guys still have fixed meters. Talk of being greedy
Adding to that, you would be lucky to find an auto driver who switches on the meter. Most of the guys ask for a flat rate always. If I am the only one travelling, I always refuse to give him a flat rate and tell him to switch on the meter. I would rather walk to my destination than pay these thugs extra money. However, when travelling with friends, they don't care and agree to pay extra inspite of my pleas not to do so .
Old 10th August 2010, 19:29   #23
BHPian

Bangaloreans, Let us follow this really.

As righly said we should have this frequently. About the impact, talking to some auto drivers it is already evident after the increase in rates their business has come down drastically and less people taking to autos now days.

It has also an effect of more Volvos, Marcopolos - good quality buses with more frequent services and connectivity through the mass transport means.

I am sure this METER JAM would make some impact.

We should do car pool / pick someone on the road to make it more effective on August 12.

And as most others, I am religiously on METER JAM ever since I am in Bangalore and I understand the situation we are in. (examle bangalore autowalas ask us to pay for a 10 km ride more than our travel cost - bus/train of 400 kms to give a slight perspective)

LET US GO - METER JAM!
Old 10th August 2010, 19:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshbhaskar View Post
good Auto drivers make around 1000-1300 per day after expense, know a few
Wow they must be doing 14-16 hours atleast for this. Degree Aspirants are you listening ?
Old 10th August 2010, 20:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan
I noticed that they are a greedier lot now like their Chennai cousins
Why not? In 2002, I used to travel back & forth from BLR to Chennai every weekend. On Monday mornings, I get down at Majestic & take an auto rickshaw to Shanthinagar. They would be very eager as the fares are double before 6:00 AM, still I used to pay somewhere around Rs 70. No bargain, meter shows some Rs 35 or so.

This kept going & occasionally few drivers demand more money saying you'll pay in Chennai why not here? I used to be nervous & afraid arguing with them & gave in what they asked for. Now I realize my mistake as I should've stood up.

Anyway, point being that, its the fault of Chennai that has spread like cancer to BLR. Trust me Coimbatore is even horrible. The best is KL among the four states as of now.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Most auto drivers are of the opinion that if the passenger can afford to pay more, then they have all the right to demand more money!! This is the most ridiculous line of thought.

I really hope this Meter Jam effort goes some way in teaching these daylight robbers some much needed lessons.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I really hope this Meter Jam effort goes some way in teaching these daylight robbers some much needed lessons.
Seems there is hope. Today saw in Bangalore Mirror about some meeting of 8 Auto union drivers. They are also taking this serious and "educating" other auto drivers not to deny anyone.

Lets see.But, its a good start.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:07   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Like the 'Bus Day' initiative, this should be undertaken on a more regular basis for it to have any telling effect on their income.

As for me, i walk as much as i can to a bus stop, rather than take a rick to get there. I totally hate 'em.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

I am not really sure how many people can take part in this. Only people who have alternate arrangements can do this which I dont think would be a big number.

We are discussing this on an auto forum where everyone has there own travel arrangements.

If bus days dont affect the autowallah, how can this have any impact? Also, how can someone wanting to go somewhere and is dependent on auto take part in this?
Old 11th August 2010, 12:58   #30
BHPian

This whole idea sounds good - but can it really pass on the message to the Auto driver community ?

I feel something more concrete needs to be done to remedy the situation.
Meter jam for one day is not going to make any big difference to them.

Since the auto drivers have many unions, i feel a better way is to work along with them (the unions) to bring about some much needed changes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks