Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 16:05   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I have seen it, in pune, at Warje.
That signal is gone now. There was a signal as people can take U-turn or right turns to service lanes but they closed the median gap now and no signals, no U-turn or right turns. This after it killed a few people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
So I won't be surprised if I'm on that flyover crossing sinhagad road and my satnav announces, take a left turn on Sinhagad road!
Hehehe!!! The satnav is an a**. It has asked me to take a left turn when I was going on top of the flyover and take smaller roads many times at many places. They are laggards in updating the maps. Cant believe that they still dont have the flyovers of Karad, Satara in their maps.

Nainar
Old 13th August 2010, 16:07   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Pune Bhpians, how is the situation with the caravan of Trucks and Buses waiting to get into the HPCL Fuel station and a few morons trying to perpendicularly cross the Jam to get into a bylane?

I was in Pune in Aug-Oct 2008 and then from Aug-Feb 2010 and I felt the traffic had more than doubled and I always had a habit of reaching before the Wipro, Infy, Cognizant and TechM buses reached their destinations.

Is till remember a day when traffic jam was all the way from Wipro Phase 1 Gate till Wakad Chowk (Including KPIT Cumins and Hinjewadi Chowk) and it took me 40 minutes from Wipro Phase1 gate to KPIT!

@MX6, I agree with you those going on the other side of the divider and it is always the 2 wheelers first. Moreover, like you said, the cops were catching offenders at times but the same cops were directing the traffic to move from the opposite side as well!

I just happened to go till HPCL station before the Hinjewadi Chowk in May 2010 and I was actually happy to see the 6 laned road but took a U-Turn in front of Mariot after filling in. So you guys say that this so called 6 laning hasnt helped ease the situation at all?

One more thing that always irritated me were the roadside hawkers, vendors and the 6 seaters. Mostly they were the main cause for the Jam,blocking traffic especially at the Hinjewadi Chowk. When there are 3 operational phases in Hinjewadi, the authorities must think of a meausre/solution to tackle this problem.
Old 13th August 2010, 16:20   #33
BHPian

There is this organization named Net Impact Pune. they have done a survey related to Hinjewdi traffic problem. Thousands of employees were asked about there preferences for commuting. Here are the results:

* Only 7.6% respondents currently use the PMT bus service

* However, 61.1% respondents would like to use the PMT bus service if they get access to better services

* The three most important unmet needs quoted by the respondents are as follows:
– High frequency of buses
– Reliability in terms of timings
– Convenient pick up point

Reference: Net Impact Pune ? Professional Chapter of netimpact.org

But still PMPML does not seem to be in a mood to start a single bus between Kothrud or Pashan to Hinjewadi.
Sometimes I feel there is a strong nexus between the politicians & private bus owners. The pvt bus owners make them stop from starting new services.
Old 13th August 2010, 18:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
But still PMPML does not seem to be in a mood to start a single bus between Kothrud or Pashan to Hinjewadi.
Sometimes I feel there is a strong nexus between the politicians & private bus owners. The pvt bus owners make them stop from starting new services.
I completely agree. If there was a convenient bus service , an AC Volvo would be great, I would rarely take my car out and instead opt for the PMPL bus.

The route I suggest is Deccan->Kothrud->Bavdhan->Pashan Circle->Sus Road->Highway->Hinjewadi (phase 1 & 2). Another one can be routed from Hinjewadi to Baner onwards to E-square ,COEP and so forth.

Run two or three of these buses everyday in a continuous loop during peak hours (making the total frequency like once per hour) and I am sure lot of Hinjewadi's traffic woes will come down.
Old 13th August 2010, 18:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

^^ Interesting to see these reactions. Nothing to offend but most of the IT companies do provide bus services. In fact I myself used to use the service, however after marriage a quick calculation showed that fuel bill would almost match the combined transport bill (other factors remaining constant) and hence went ahead for a car.

Also, I doubt if most people who come by car forego the comfort for a bus. It is sad, but that is what I feel!
Old 13th August 2010, 19:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

anilisanil : I would and still do use the company bus, but for the lack of flexibility it offers. Atleast in my company if I miss the one at 8.15 AM, there is nothing to fall back on.
Thats why I said, we need a Volvo B7R LE plying. If there was one plying every hour I don't see why anyone wouldnt use them.

I had responded the same in th Netimpact survey carried out in my company a few months ago.
Old 13th August 2010, 19:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Traffic is a mess while entering the Rajiv Gandhi Tech Park Phase 1 and 2. That too during the mornings and evenings. It takes ages to reach Jagtap Dairy in the evenings. People have changed thier working habits to beat the traffic. Working from 11 to 8 is one of them. Even the Project managers agree. No choice.
People from Chinchwad area moving towards Kothrud also use the same route till under the flyover to take the highway.
@Alpha1: There are few companies like iFlex (formerly ) who work from Pirangut area. Best thing would be work in the office, party at Manas resorts, get wasted, wake up and come early morning to office. No traffic, no fuss. Full Productivity
Old 14th August 2010, 23:02   #38
BHPian

Finally - A thread I can relate to on a daily basis (well atleast 5 days of the week). How did I miss seeing this one before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The flyover at Hinjewadi junction is the most idiotic ones. It should have ideally been North-South on NH4 so that the bypass traffic could have taken the flyover, instead of the Hinjewadi outflow using it now. I notice that most of the Hinjewadi traffic also comes under the flyover, many of them turning right onto the bypass, which indicates poor traffic flow analysis prior to building the flyover.
Absolutely agree. When the flyover was getting constructed, I asked the contractor as to why the highway traffic would get a signal and not the cross traffic. His answer (I hope the truth) was that the MIDC approval on the flyover came first and hence they started building. The proposal was given long before the Dehu Road -Katraj alignment was thought about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I completely agree. If there was a convenient bus service , an AC Volvo would be great, I would rarely take my car out and instead opt for the PMPL bus.

The route I suggest is Deccan->Kothrud->Bavdhan->Pashan Circle->Sus Road->Highway->Hinjewadi (phase 1 & 2). Another one can be routed from Hinjewadi to Baner onwards to E-square ,COEP and so forth.

Run two or three of these buses everyday in a continuous loop during peak hours (making the total frequency like once per hour) and I am sure lot of Hinjewadi's traffic woes will come down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
anilisanil : I would and still do use the company bus, but for the lack of flexibility it offers. Atleast in my company if I miss the one at 8.15 AM, there is nothing to fall back on.
Thats why I said, we need a Volvo B7R LE plying. If there was one plying every hour I don't see why anyone wouldnt use them.

I had responded the same in th Netimpact survey carried out in my company a few months ago.
Why do most of us commute using personal vehicles - Mostly because of flexibility to arrive/depart and secondly comfort level. What If there were to be a huge 'park and ride' created somewhere near Wakad or even Balewadi. Run buses at 15 min intervals in a loop covering all phases of Hinjewadi. Peak time could be fill-up/leave service, similar to the BEST 1 Ltd service between VT and NCPA. I am sure if the Hinjewadi Industries Association wanted to do this - they could. There are quite a few of these parking lots out there used during the CYG.

There was news about all the right turns at the flyover getting closed and the traffic lights removed. Easy to imagine and hard to ignore the chaos it would result in. Suggested routes for the people taking the right turns would only increase the load on already busy roads.

I've heard employees from a reputed company are trying out a 'on the fly carpool'. Folks having empty seats can pick up other employees who wish to go the same way - Pick up point in the company being predecided. Charges to specific city areas are published and money exchanged at trip end. Not exactly a 'carpool' - but hey anything works to reduce the traffic density!
Old 14th August 2010, 23:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post

I've heard employees from a reputed company are trying out a 'on the fly carpool'. Folks having empty seats can pick up other employees who wish to go the same way - Pick up point in the company being predecided. Charges to specific city areas are published and money exchanged at trip end. Not exactly a 'carpool' - but hey anything works to reduce the traffic density!
Wow this could be outright dangerous if not managed properly. imagine crooks dressed up as softies and fake ID entering your car. If the persons are known then its safe.
Old 14th August 2010, 23:15   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

It's nice to know there are other "fools" like me who stay on the correct side of the road unless directed by a cop. What gets my craw is the cars that cross over to the wrong side, when they need to merge back, do so as if it's their royal birthright, sometimes squeezing law-abiding me into a no-man's-lane (am full of puns today).

Hinjewadi is terrible during peak hours (8.45-10.15 am and 6.00-8.30 pm, ever extending). These days if I can't leave home early I usually work remotely and leave around 11 by which time it's absolutely fine.

All said and done working in Hinjewadi is way better than working in Electronics City :d. I am so glad I got that transfer from Bangalore!
Old 14th August 2010, 23:32   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Wow this could be outright dangerous if not managed properly. imagine crooks dressed up as softies and fake ID entering your car. If the persons are known then its safe.
Good catch ! For the return journey, you would be giving a lift to people from your company only - Pick up point inside the company premises.
Towards work would see this issue coming up. Checking IDs would be a must unless person is known.
Old 15th August 2010, 09:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It's nice to know there are other "fools" like me who stay on the correct side of the road unless directed by a cop. What gets my craw is the cars that cross over to the wrong side, when they need to merge back, do so as if it's their royal birthright, sometimes squeezing law-abiding me into a no-man's-lane (am full of puns today).

Absolutely! Worse part is that when they move over to the wrong side, they even manage to occupy two full lanes there at times, and honk and flash their lights at the traffic going in the correct direction towards Wakad.

When they try to move back into the "correct" side, the worst offenders are tum-tums (6-seaters), with their jutting metal parts. They give me the creeps when they try to move in too close to my car. In concept I am all for them, because they provide a cheap and convenient A to B movement , but for their moronic drivers.

PS : I am also one of the few bikers who stick to the "right" side of the road, no matter how long I remain stuck.
Old 15th August 2010, 10:23   #43
BHPian

I am also one perished with Hinjewadi traffic woes for close to 6 months. The Kothrud to Hinjewadi used to take 1 hour with the 'torture path' between Shell Petrol to Phase3 used to take 30 mins alone (5 km).

I have tried alternate times and routes over over period, no timing rule applies to madness as the quiter period couples with no traffic cop presence results in 'Jungle raj'.

I would like to suggest following 3 alternate rotes -

1. Hinjwadi square take left - Phase1 circle- St Laurns -Maan Village- phase3
2. Pashan/Bangalore bye pass- Pashnkar auto- Sus gaon- Maan Village-Phase1/3
3. Paud gaon-Pirangut-phase3

I have settled with route 2, ok road condition ,but little traffic & nature really takes the driving stress away.

PS: not recommended for late night being sparse traffic/no repair shops
Old 15th August 2010, 10:30   #44
BHPian

I drive on extreme left lane in the flyover-hjw chowk strech and vice-versa. And preferably behind some big vehicle (company bus/PMT bus/water tanker).
Reasons : My observation, merging lanes' traffic does the alternate vehicle pass - left lane traffic mostly gets a clear pass. Of course fact that I need to go to Ph1 and Kothrud side requires me to be on the left for least traffic cutting.
Bigger vehicle offers some degree of vehicle protection (from bikers touching your ORVMs).

Any other pointers from fellow motorists to make the commute peaceful?
Old 19th August 2010, 22:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Has the problem managed to somewhat solve itself ? (touch wood).

This was when I had just crossed Wakad :

Hinjewadi Traffic Issues-image101.jpg

By 8.30 AM, I had locked my car and was on my way to my desk. The story was the same over the past 3 days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks