Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:33   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hinjewadi Traffic Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Have a question for orange route regulars like mmxylorider: does the small twisty left turn before HJW chowk connect to the orange route? I have seen many cars dart into that and same about 5 mins while I navigate the slow moving traffic till the chowk and take the left there. I have been tempted to follow but the thought of landing up in some dead end or confronted by angry locals after driving into someone's backyard stops me
The first left turn (opposite to the KPIT gate) after the Petrol Pump does lead to the Orange route. The only issue on that road is a couple of massive speed breakers (which i guess have been put by locals). 1st gear was the norm on those. I have not been through that route for ages now so not sure if those are still present.
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:41   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahh thanks! Speedbreakers can be handled by the Vento. I have become a sort of orange route regular now, much better as xylo says if you want to reach in predictable timeframe. Also the swaying Wakad overbrdge scares the bejeezus out of me.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:00   #558
Senior - BHPian

I agree Noop, the Wakad bridge vibrations seem to have increased. Scary indeed. Initially I used to think its my car thats knocking or someone nudging from behind.

Wonder if we would reach a stage where the bridge just gives in. The sadist in me hopes that it does, thus solving the major problem of our lives, but sanity prevails thinking of the poor souls who might be affected.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:16   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
There were few locals at that point to assist in case things went south.....
This is still the fastest way out of HJW.
Yep yep, I noticed that. However, they were bound to leave once they thought that traffic would have thinned out. However, water would have been flowing all night.
An 800 being driven by kids that day, started emitting smoke from the bonnet after it went wading through the waters.
The number of underaged drivers amongst the local populace seems to have increased significantly especially in two wheelers. Cops dont pay attention , and they drive on all sides/directions without a thought for their own safety or for that of others. Though I used to think this was especially true amongst the teen boys who loved to show off, last week my bus had to panic brake in the HJW chowk to avoid a school girl, uniform and all, darting in from the wrong side on some scooterette, right under the noses of the cops.
This problem is quite concentrated in the area in front of my company, for those of you who know where I work.

Our Tough Cop probably walks from the Wakad Bridge to the station enforcing discipline a couple of times in the morning.

Last edited by sajo : 2nd September 2011 at 12:19.
Old 6th September 2011, 14:08   #560
Senior - BHPian

Last evening saw unprecedented traffic again. Took me exactly two hours to reach home from DLF. Tried taking the Orange route, but that also seemed jammed. Today morning was the same all over again. Traffic right from the bridge till the main chowk.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 6th September 2011 at 14:21. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 6th September 2011, 14:11   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Last evening saw unprecedented traffic again. Took me exactly two hours to reach home from DLF. Tried taking the Ornage route, but that also seemed jammed. Today morning was the same all over again. Traffic right from the bridge till the main chowk.
Actually!!

I have been coming late so as to avoid traffic, but it does not seem to be helping. huge traffic piled up right from HP pump. Guys is it any better if I come a bit early?
Old 6th September 2011, 14:21   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Ahh thanks! Speedbreakers can be handled by the Vento. I have become a sort of orange route regular now, much better as xylo says if you want to reach in predictable timeframe.
FWIW, the first speedbreaker has some mud alongside it, so it's just a bump now. The second one does not extend all the way to the left so getting your FL tyre on that 1 foot width reduces the bump effect. The third one is the killer - no choice and the Xylo with it's soft suspension really rocks!
From that point on it generally takes about 10-12 minutes to reach the Kalakhadak underpass. A little more these days due to the real sad state of the road.
Old 6th September 2011, 21:04   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Guys is it any better if I come a bit early?
How early ? Situation between 8.45-9.15 is exactly the same as well. Maybe before that (8 am or thereabouts) traffic must be thin.
Old 7th September 2011, 12:00   #564
Senior - BHPian

Traffic is generally thin between 8:00AM to 8:30AM. Post that, it starts to pile up.
While leaving, it is generally better to leave before 5 to avoid all traffic. Problem is, no one can really leave that early, unless logging in from home (a la Remington Steele).
Old 7th September 2011, 12:13   #565
Senior - BHPian

One of the company buses broke down and there was a huge pile up on wakad-hj chwk road. Take the orange route if you are yet to start.
Old 7th September 2011, 12:40   #566
BHPian

Since last 3 days , I am finding excessive traffic snarls / literally choc a bloc jam in the Dange chowk-wakad(ginger hotel point) flyover stretch. Its taking almost 50mins - 1 hr to cross that stretch of just 1 km.

Today I started early at 8 45 and reached dange chowk at 9 am . but still got into that jam and reached that Nh4 flyover crossng at 10 am ...imagine , drove 1 km in 60 mins. Planning to start now at 8 30 am from tomorrow and reach office early and help office boys to dust the desks/cabins :-)

Even the jam is there is evening some days, but less.

Since I am coming from the Akurdi chowk side and going to Hjw Phase 2 via chd gaon, aditya birla hosp -dange vhwk etc , do you have any other suggestive alternative motorable (?) route which can be driven in lesser time (slighly more kms is not a issue) in car between these points?

A quick Response with directions will be highly appreciated.
Old 7th September 2011, 12:56   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Since I am coming from the Akurdi chowk side and going to Hjw Phase 2 via chd gaon, aditya birla hosp -dange vhwk etc , do you have any other suggestive alternative motorable (?) route which can be driven in lesser time (slighly more kms is not a issue) in car between these points?

A quick Response with directions will be highly appreciated.
I dont know about the distance, but you could go to Akurdi railway station (without crossing to Pradhikaran side) and then on towards Ravet. If you cross to Pradhikaran side, then be warned that the underbridge on the other side of the Akurdi rail station (near that polytechnic college) is usually flooded.

Further down the road after the college (dont remember which one, but might be DY Patil) there is a bridge to the left (over the river) after which you take the first right turn into Ravet and then onto NH4. I am not sure of the state of the road that connects Ravet to NH4, but the road seemed pretty OK till the bridge at least when I went there last.

Once you are on NH4, you then head towards Wakad, which I expect would have less traffic than your current route.

Edit: by ok roads, you should still expect some potholes!
As always, try to test this route in daylight when you have adequate time

Last edited by selfdrive : 7th September 2011 at 12:58.
Old 7th September 2011, 21:25   #568
Senior - BHPian

Huge traffic jams from KPIT junction/Hinjewadi chowk due to Ganapati procession. If you are still at office check for jams and take the sus road, it is back breaking but free of any congestion.
Old 8th September 2011, 11:00   #569
Senior - BHPian

Faced a monumental jam last evening. Left office at 7:15PM. Reached Hinjewadi chowk only by 8:30PM. Turned back. Came to office and left at 9:00PM. Reached home at 9:30PM, via the Orange route. The village route has craters, not potholes. Was extremely cautious and hoping there wouldnt be any underscrapes. Thankfully the Laura managed.

The situation really got me thinking - Is it correct to block traffic for religious celebrations? Be it Ganpati, Palkhi or any other celebrations.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 11:08   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post

The situation really got me thinking - Is it correct to block traffic for religious celebrations? Be it Ganpati, Palkhi or any other celebrations.
I think the issue is even without the festivals we face traffic jams and that is what irritates us. If that would not have been the case traffic diversions during festivals which are few in between would not have been such a bother.

Most Viewed