Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 11:16   #751
BHPian

Re: Hinjewadi Traffic Issues

Tapri's were out due to some meeting between MIDC and the IT companies, but we all know they will be back soon

Smoking by the driver is considered as a offence as both the hands are not on the wheel while driving, I was not aware of this too got to know last year when a friend got fined in Bangalore.

I saw buses stranded on the flyover this morning hence decided to go up-to the Ginger underpass and make my move into Hinjewadi; there was not much of traffic there and reached pretty fast.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:46   #752
Senior - BHPian

Argh!! So did I take the bumpy orange route for nothing?

I am having bad time!! Yesterday, I slotted from fifth to first accidentally!!
Old 13th October 2011, 16:31   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
From the bad drivers thread, just wanted to add, has anyone tried to cross this junction on foot ?
I sometimes do that, to get some nice Wada Pavs and chai on the other side, and its pathetic, traffic comes in from all sides including wrong sides , and you just have to say a prayer and dart across , risking an appearance in the bad pedestrians thread. The traffic here is almost always very heavy whenever I am in the mood for a WadaPav+ Chai.

The situation is somewhat like in the picture below :

Name:  RoadCross.png
Views: 477
Size:  19.3 KB
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 16:42   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
The situation is somewhat like in the picture below :
You better stop eating Wada Pav. And in the whole depiction i loved your picture.

On a serious note pedestrian safety is least taken care of on Indian roads. There is no place for cars on the roads and sadly pedestrians are the last priority.
Old 13th October 2011, 16:57   #755
Senior - BHPian

Ojas: Moral of your story - Stop having Wada Pav and Chai! Simple .

No, seriously I agree with Amit. Pedestrian safety is of least importance in India. They are considered as good as non existent on our roads.

Ever tried crossing the roads in Ph3? Its a battle one needs to fight every now and then, thanks to the wide roads and zero speed traps.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:03   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
From the bad drivers thread, just wanted to add, has anyone tried to cross this junction on foot ?
Which is "this" junction? Is this the Mezza 9 junction with the McDonald's at the petrol pump?
Old 13th October 2011, 17:14   #757
Senior - BHPian

Looking good Ojas, seems like all the running across has kept you fit!

It is quite ironic that pedestrians have no value/ importance. After all everyone in a car will be a pedestrian at some point, but the reverse is not necessarily true. One would not expect vehicles to stop to let people cross, but at least let crossing people pass against running them over!
Old 13th October 2011, 17:39   #758
BBT
BHPian

Completely agree about the pedestrians being ignored. While driving to office today, I saw pedestrians walking almost in the middle of the road between Hinjewadi Chowk and Mezza9 - I honked a couple of times for them to move as I was in the left lane and was cursing the damned pedestrians for slowing down an entire lane of traffic - only when I got closer, I realized that the entire area was covered in mud/muck (thanks to the thunderstorms) and the pedestrians were forced to come onto the road to avoid walking into office with multicoloured shoes/trousers/whatever else... I'm not trying to justify their putting themselves in harms way, but I do feel that in an IT park, each and every road should most definitely have a pedestrian sidewalk. Of course, once they're built (if ever) I'm sure the tapri wallahs will lay first claim to them
BBT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 18:00   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
I'm not trying to justify their putting themselves in harms way, but I do feel that in an IT park, each and every road should most definitely have a pedestrian sidewalk. Of course, once they're built (if ever) I'm sure the tapri wallahs will lay first claim to them
Yea just like that whole road from Symbiosis till past Infosys/ Wipro have the sidewalks over run by the tapri wallahs especially during the evening & nowadays
the sidewalks are so full that the sugarcane juice guys have started taking up the road space.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:22   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Which is "this" junction? Is this the Mezza 9 junction with the McDonald's at the petrol pump?
Yes it is the Mezza 9 Junction. Total chaos during peak hours.

@ojas - But during peak hours there are 2-3 cops standing and controlling traffic. Doesn't that help while crossing the road. Now don't tell me they are also having Wada Pav and Chai.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:33   #761
Senior - BHPian

Yes guys, it is the chaotic Mezza9 junction.
@Amit : During peak hours, I am too busy going home or coming to office too! :-)
The issue is very pronounced during slightly off peak hours , say between 4-5 pm. Once a friend of mine was hit by a biker coming out from the McD petrol pump and in a rush to join the road going to PH2. Both of us were on foot and trying to cross the road. He came in from the wrong side and hit him. The rider was a kid , and obviously , without a license. He ran away as I bent to help my buddy on his foot.

And yes, as a frequent pedestrian on that stretch, I can say that its a massive pain to walk in all that muck. There are footpaths in PH1 on the Infy side, then why not from the Chowk to mezza9 and beyond ?

PS : Now that you guys know how I look from my picture above, do honk and wave the next time you see me making a mad dash across the road!
Old 13th October 2011, 18:35   #762
Senior - BHPian

How is the traffic now guys? Is it OK if I leave now? Anything chaotic?
Old 13th October 2011, 18:41   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
How is the traffic now guys? Is it OK if I leave now? Anything chaotic?
Nope, take the Mezza9 route (which can rival the orange route in bumpiness now) and you should be fine!
One good thing for me is that I do not encounter traffic atleast until one of these two exit points.

EDIT :

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
Completely agree ...
BBT : Do you drive a beige MH 12 FP registered Fiesta with Tbhp stickers ?

Last edited by sajo : 13th October 2011 at 18:49.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:22   #764
Senior - BHPian

Something strange happened while coming to office today. I was in the usual traffic till main chowk. But all the vehicles going towards Ph1/Ph2 were following lane discipline! Even cabwallahs! Please tell me, this isnt a dream .

The traffic was very well organized. No honking, no lane breaking. Except for one or two bikers, all was hunky dory. Friday effect?
Old 14th October 2011, 11:40   #765
Senior - BHPian

The tapris have not sprung back the very next day.Or the day after that too. So whats the deal ? Who complained and why ?

In my many years of coming here, I have surprisingly never been to phase 3, and have been to Phase 2 only once about 4 years ago, because a buddy from out of town wanted to see the "Infosys UFOs". :P

Most Viewed