Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2010, 13:47   #76
BHPian

Heads up!

All right turns at the HJW Flyover/Highway intersection are stopped as of today. Traffic police have put up barricades at the HJW end of the flyover to restrict people from taking short cut. I assume similar things would be done at other places. Here are the suggested routes to follow (as mentioned by the traffic police on duty)

1. Aundh to Mumbai - Take the flyover towards HJW, continue to take a 'U' opposite the Natural's ice cream center and then Left at the highway.
2. Kothrud to Aundh - Take the left towards HJW, continue to take a 'U' opposite the Natural's ice cream center and then over the flyover to Aundh
3. Hinjewadi to Kothrud
Route A: At Hinjewadi chowk, Take the road leading to Wakad underpass/MyCar and join the highway
Route B: Take the Aundh flyover, continue to take a 'U' just after the petrol pump/Municipal school and then Left at the highway.
4. Mumbai to Hinjewadi
Route A - Exit the highway at the Wakad police chowki underpass and take the approrpiate road leading to Ph1 or Ph2
Route B - Take a left at the Aundh flyover, continue to take a 'U' just after the petrol pump/Municipal school and then over the flyover to Hinjewadi

The traffic constable was sceptical as well about this change and was of the opinion this would not solve any problems. But he expressed his helplessness in this plan.

As always I will stick to the left most lane to avoid the 'U' turn related jams.
Old 29th August 2010, 14:19   #77
BHPian

I went down to Hinjawadi yesterday to meet up with a fellow T-bhpian and sweet lord... never again am i venturing out that side! If this was the situation on a saturday afternoon, i dread to think what it will be like when the sweatshops located in Hinjawadi open and close each day! A lot has changed in the past 2 years and I think i finally get what you fellas have been saying!

What
Old 29th August 2010, 15:21   #78
BHPian

It would be interesting to see how this setup works. Assuming traffic is constantly on the move and no signals to clog it up, added traffic volume should get merged quickly. I hope traffic constables/wardens are posted at the U turn points to ensure that does not choked up.

I think we might see some fender benders and road rage in the coming days...

@MX6 - Envy you if you are still working from home
Old 30th August 2010, 10:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Heads up!
All right turns at the HJW Flyover/Highway intersection are stopped as of today. Traffic police have put up barricades at the HJW end of the flyover to restrict people from taking short cut. I assume similar things would be done at other places. Here are the suggested routes to follow (as mentioned by the traffic police on duty)
When I was passing by about half an hour ago, I didnt see much of an improvement in the traffic, atleast at the Wakad junction. There was a good number of cops everywhere though standing in the pouring rain , redirecting traffic.
While going back I will have to take the road which goes behind Mezza9 and eventually joins the highway from the underpass.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:08   #80
BHPian

While returning home last night (HJW to Kothrud), I realized that the suggested place for U turn on the Aundh road is just adequate for a car, that too a hatch. I guess buses would use the other suggested route - which means hopefully fewer buses on the HJW-Flyover stretch.

Same time - Also observed a yellow plate Indica going onto incoming lane of the flyover and taking a U-turn right where it ends. Distance saved -abt 100 m.
Old 30th August 2010, 12:33   #81
Senior - BHPian

I await the Hinjewadi road users feedback on these new U turns. From the experience here in Delhi such U turns generally lead to bigger traffic jams.
Old 30th August 2010, 12:43   #82
BHPian

The two routes that cater to majority of the HJW workforce are the roads from Aundh and Kothrud - Straight and a Free Left in the morning.

It would be interesting to see the impact in the evening.

There is no thought given to improving the roadways before taking such decision. Digging/mud piles on road sides eat up 1/3 of the road width.
Old 30th August 2010, 13:54   #83
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I suggest they ban entry in to Hinjewadi from all roads. I'd be very happy working from home.
Old 30th August 2010, 18:00   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Heads up!

1. Aundh to Mumbai - Take the flyover towards HJW, continue to take a 'U' opposite the Natural's ice cream center and then Left at the highway.
2. Kothrud to Aundh - Take the left towards HJW, continue to take a 'U' opposite the Natural's ice cream center and then over the flyover to Aundh
What!! You mean all traffic going to Mumbai from Pune (if they dont take Baner road) need to come part way inside Hinjewadi and then take a U turn at a narrow place?
Please tell me I have understood incorrectly.
Old 30th August 2010, 18:06   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I suggest they ban entry in to Hinjewadi from all roads. I'd be very happy working from home.
That's a very good idea. I heartily second the same. Err, why not ban all traffic altogether? And, allow only cycles and bullock carts...

BTW, as long as these spending money in name of development, why not they build one more flyover for NH4 to go over the Hinjewadi flyover... or, build an underbridge like the way it is done in Old Pune - Mumbai road

Last edited by vrprabhu : 30th August 2010 at 18:07.
Old 30th August 2010, 18:36   #86
BHPian

With new traffic diversions are in, it took me 1.5 hour to travel from Dange Chauwk to Hinjewadi today morning.

Now, Kotharud people are damn unlucky as right turns at Hinjewadi Flyover are blocked. Now they have to go through Mezz9-wakad police chauwky route. Wakad Police Chauwky underpass is very chaotic place as Vehicles from 6 directions keep coming there.
Old 30th August 2010, 19:56   #87
BHPian

Route Options

1) Vehicles exiting from Hinjwadi phase 1 & 2 and moving towards Katraj would need to take either of the below mentioned alternative routes.

a) Hotel Mezza 9-Marunji road - PCMC Octroi naka – Right turn from Wakad subway near Hotel Ginger - Highway towards Katraj

b) Shivaji chowk- Right turn from Wakad subway Hotel Ginger - Highway towards Katraj.

c) Shivaji chowk – Cross Hinjwadi flyover – Left turn towards Eden Garden – Left turn towards Mumbai – Bangalore highway – Left turn towards Katraj.

2) Vehicles coming from Mumbai and moving towards Hinjwadi

a) Take Wakad subway near Hotel Ginger - PCMC Octroi naka - Marunji road-Hotel Mezza 9 - DLF

b) Take Wakad subway Hotel Ginger - Shivaji chowk-Hotel Mezza 9 - DLF.

c) U turn from Hotel Sadanand Subway – Wakad Jakat Naka – Hinjwadi - DLF

The traffic flowing to and fro on Jagtap Dairy axis towards Hinjwadi or towards Aundh remains unchanged.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:27   #88
BHPian

Justification for this change is as below in the words of Mr Prasanna Bangale
Assistant Police Inspector, Hinjewadi Traffic Police (source: Sakaal Times)

The present capacity of the approach road is 800 passenger car units (PCUs) per hour, but they bear loads of 3500 PCU during peak hours, that is four times the capacity. Alternate routes have to be found out.

We have prepared a detailed report which provides for the alternate routes when all the right turns at the junction are blocked.

1) The major part of the traffic that comes from Pune city to this junction is Hinjewadi bound. About five per cent of this stops at the signal to take a right turn towards Mumbai.

2) The traffic flow that comes from the IT Park to Pune city uses the flyover and the chunk that is bound towards Katraj stops at the signal for the right turn. This flow is 15 per cent of the main flow from IT Park.

3) The flow that comes from Katraj is mostly Mumbai-bound. Ten per cent of this flow is Wakad bound and has to stop at the signal for a right turn.

4) Of the flow that comes from Mumbai, five per cent traffic takes a right turn to Hinjewadi.

When we calculated total share of right-turning vehicles at the junction, we found it to be 14 per cent. The fact of the matter is, for this comparatively small chunk, the rest 86 per cent traffic has to wait at the signal. Considering the traffic flow, the signal duration has been kept at 180 seconds, this undoubtedly makes it a major hindrance for overall flow at the junction.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:31   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
With new traffic diversions are in, it took me 1.5 hour to travel from Dange Chauwk to Hinjewadi today morning.
1.5 hours from Dange chowk is terribly frustrating, I hope its only 1st day blues

Quote:
Now, Kotharud people are damn unlucky as right turns at Hinjewadi Flyover are blocked. Now they have to go through Mezz9-wakad police chauwky route.
I agree, gone are the days when I reached home in 15-20 mins (to Pashan)

Quote:
Wakad Police Chauwky underpass is very chaotic place as Vehicles from 6 directions keep coming there.
Yes, it is very dangerous as well. Recently I was taking right from under the underpass and there were some ricks parked in front as soon as I took the right I saw a huge dumper coming from dange chowk side taking a left at full speed. If I had not braked it would have shaved off a major portion of my car
Old 31st August 2010, 09:47   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

I filled up at the Club Hp next to McDonald's and asked the pump guys which route to take to Baner. One suggested the turnoff from Mezza9 and then another guy started arguing that the road was already blocked and I should go via Aundh. So I ignorged them both and took teh left at HJW chowk to the MyCar underpass. There were cops stationed at every junction (a sad comment on our inability to self-regulate) and it didn't take me much longer than my usual time to reach home. However, must stress that I left earlier than usual, before the 6.15 buses left!

Can someone share some information on the route via Sus gaon? Is it driveable all the way? Is it motorbale in the monsoon? Most importantly, is it safe for someone driving alone, as I do usually?

Last edited by noopster : 31st August 2010 at 09:52.

Most Viewed