Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 10:54   #916
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hinjewadi Traffic Issues

Hello Holidays!
What an amazingly peaceful and quick drive it was today morning.
I left home rather late, thinking all along that I would encounter a mamoth jam, it being a Monday. But what an amazing surprise Hinjewadi had for me today morning!

I suppose, people have started taking their Xmas holidays.
Old 19th December 2011, 11:18   #917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Also, on a side note, I would like to mention the dangerous open partition in the bypass road.
Its sealed now!
I mean, temporarily. Atleast till someone breaks it open again.
Already some smarty pant bikers are now jumping the the divider with the intention of of a quick dart. People will wait 5 minutes for the traffic to clear while pulling of this dangerous stunt but wont take the 2 minute detour from the service road towards Baner and take the underpass U-turn.
Old 19th December 2011, 11:50   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

Second week at Chennai, and driving an Alto to office (training facility) through peak hour traffic right into the heart of the city - it's been a breeze so far.

Honestly, Chennai-ians drive better. And more of sedated driving if nothing else. A clear indication by the very few scratches/dents on most of the cars around here. Was at a junction some time back where the left lane was filled with cars going left, middle lane is kept for the people going straight, and the right lane is filled with people planning to turn left. This at the main junction in the heart of the city during peak traffic hours (Gemini Flyover for those who know Chennai). Maybe I was lucky, maybe this was a one-off case. Who cares. I felt vindicated - maybe there's hope. Maybe all of us will learn to drive with traffic sense sometime in the near future.

I have driven a good deal in several states, and most of the metros if not all. This has been the best experience so far. Yes, there are traffic jams, there are slow crawls during peak traffic. 10 kms distance takes close to an hour out here too. But I don't have to worry about idiots bumping my ORVMs or trying to do a drag race. I don't have to worry about bikers trying to squeeze through the jams.

Now If only Puneri drivers showed some of this traffic sense.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 13:20   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Second week at Chennai, and driving an Alto to office (training facility) through peak hour traffic right into the heart of the city - it's been a breeze so far.

Honestly, Chennai-ians drive better. And more of sedated driving if nothing else. A clear indication by the very few scratches/dents on most of the cars around here. Was at a junction some time back where the left lane was filled with cars going left, middle lane is kept for the people going straight, and the right lane is filled with people planning to turn left. This at the main junction in the heart of the city during peak traffic hours (Gemini Flyover for those who know Chennai). Maybe I was lucky, maybe this was a one-off case. Who cares. I felt vindicated - maybe there's hope. Maybe all of us will learn to drive with traffic sense sometime in the near future.

I have driven a good deal in several states, and most of the metros if not all. This has been the best experience so far. Yes, there are traffic jams, there are slow crawls during peak traffic. 10 kms distance takes close to an hour out here too. But I don't have to worry about idiots bumping my ORVMs or trying to do a drag race. I don't have to worry about bikers trying to squeeze through the jams.

Now If only Puneri drivers showed some of this traffic sense.
Couldn't have been narrated better , the sorry state of Traffic our dear Pune has . Well the major problem is the educated people doing it . Well I seriosuly dont mind seeing a locale ( Rayban Killers on / gold Chains ) fella jumping through the wrong side , he is supposed to , but educated folks doing it .

I doubt if this seriously is going to be any better with roads widening / no dividers etc . GOD HELP !!

OT: The traffic has been a breeze for past 2 days , folks enjoying vacations .
Old 20th December 2011, 18:41   #920
Senior - BHPian

I was driving back home at 12.30 pm today ("Dude, work first half of the day in Indian hours, and the remaining during US hours") , and I still had wrong siders popping up in front of my car. People do it out of sheer habit, there is no other explanation for it.
Old 21st December 2011, 14:05   #921
Senior - BHPian

I saw our tiger cop outside Symbiosis, SB Road, a couple of hours ago, along with a bunch of other cops. I think there was some VIP movement/bandobast. Me thinks he has been transferred to bandobast duty these days.
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:40   #922
Senior - BHPian

Saw him today morning in Hinjewadi! Looks like, our words of appreciation got him a promotion, and is now incharge of every bottleneck causing junctions all over the city!
Old 27th December 2011, 07:11   #923
Senior - BHPian

I think i am going to stop ranting about Hinjewadi traffic woes after my experience in Mumbai last week.

Had to attend a wedding in Chandivali and left from Chembur during morning peak hours at 8.45 AM. Took the left turn from the Eastern Express Highway which leads us to Powai/Hiranandani. As soon as i left the highway i was greeted with a sea of cars in front of me. The road is pretty wide and there were 6 lanes of vehicles in the jam. This jam is again a result of improper planning by the authorities. The overbridge after the very wide road has place only for 2-3 lanes. So every morning and evening i guess this would be the scenario with vehicles trying to push in to get onto the bridge.

I thought i was lucky i shifted to Pune and had to encounter only the Hinjewadi traffic and not to negotiate the traffic to go to Seepz everyday.
Old 27th December 2011, 08:20   #924
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
.... The overbridge after the very wide road has place only for 2-3 lanes. So every morning and evening i guess this would be the scenario with vehicles trying to push in to get onto the bridge.
Oh tell me about that horrible bottleneck. It takes anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour to get past the bridge over LBS road to merge onto JVLR. To make things worse, the JVLR in itself is jam packed at any time of the day.
The bridge widening work is stuck in red tape and will continue for the better part of 2012.
Old 27th December 2011, 09:13   #925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I think i am going to stop ranting about Hinjewadi traffic woes after my experience in Mumbai last week.

Had to attend a wedding in Chandivali and left from Chembur during morning peak hours at 8.45 AM. Took the left turn from the Eastern Express Highway which leads us to Powai/Hiranandani. As soon as i left the highway i was greeted with a sea of cars in front of me. The road is pretty wide and there were 6 lanes of vehicles in the jam. This jam is again a result of improper planning by the authorities. The overbridge after the very wide road has place only for 2-3 lanes. So every morning and evening i guess this would be the scenario with vehicles trying to push in to get onto the bridge.

I thought i was lucky i shifted to Pune and had to encounter only the Hinjewadi traffic and not to negotiate the traffic to go to Seepz everyday.

Ah, but you haven't experienced the worst of that road. On any weekday in the duration 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., try going from Powai to Eastern Express Highway, you'll find a jam from IIT gate right upto the same 2 lane over-bridge. I was stuck up once in this jam, took me close to 50 mins of slow crawl to do a distance of less than 2 kms. And this was traffic being regulated by a cop who was overseeing it just before the over-bridge. And as per my friends living there, this is a daily affair. You would see two extra lanes on either side of that over-bridge in broken-down state - no-one knows why they aren't being re-constructed or worked on.
Old 27th December 2011, 12:30   #926
Senior - BHPian

We sure are a bunch of educated fools!

Last evening, while heading back home, near the Wakad flyover, there was an ambulance behind me, trying to negotiate the traffic. I pulled over to the left for the ambulance to pass, but on the flyover itself, the ambulance was stuck for a good 10 minutes. Why? Two cars (driven by IT folks) wouldnt let that ambulance pass through.

Whatever happend to good ol civic sense?
Old 27th December 2011, 16:34   #927
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Absolutely agree. In fact I have often observed people ake a beeline for the ambulance so that they can ride in its slipstream

We are so sad it's downright funny!
Old 27th December 2011, 21:59   #928
Senior - BHPian

The story is not specific to Hinjewadi alone. We Indians are an intensely self centered bunch when it comes to road usage. My convenience above everything else. If the system fits into my convenience, thats okay, if it doesnt, well, screw it. What if people are dying in an ambulance behind me, my phone call to my pals about movies is way more important!
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 10:57   #929
Senior - BHPian

People driving towards Ph2/Ph3 beware. There's some road work being carried out, towards the extreme left of the roads. Seems like some pipeline/electricity lines being laid.

There's a narrow ditch thats been created. While coming to office, saw a Sumo (yellow plated, but of course) that had its left tyres stuck in that ditch.

Try and avoid the extreme left lane.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 20:38   #930
Senior - BHPian

So they repaired the road at the rear entrance of my company , a little bylane which very few people use. It was full of very big potholes that used to hold nearly half a foot of water if it as much as drizzled.
And the quality of the repair work is.. umm.. I request you guys to please not walk on it. If you have to, please lightly tip toe, do not jump or sneeze or hold hands or apply any sort of undue pressure on it. because we are not getting another one for the next 5 years.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks