Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:18   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hinjewadi Traffic Issues

Last evening also, the right turn under the flyover was open. I suppose, they are trying the old method again, where traffic on the flyover is restricted to a certain number of vehicles.

Well, the chaos has reduced, but god only knows until how long. There sure would be some Mantri- Santri who would get stuck in the jam at the traffic lights and throw a fit, prompting a sudden closure in the right turns!
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:25   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Google maps confused me with the names of the "chowks" Could a kind heart please post pictorially rep of all the chowks involved in Hinjewadi?

My morning travel has become pretty easy now. I take the left at Ginger Hotel chowk and then proceed towards Hinjewadi village, most of whose roads are now re surfaced. And then take a right towards a small "short cut" that takes me to the KPIT entry/exit gate. Just take the right.

If there is considerable traffic at 'My car' -Ginger Hotel intersection, then I take the flyover and take a U-turn, this people is taking me somewhere between 30-35 minutes from Bhavdhan. I start at around 10 Am nd generally reach phase 3 by 1030.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:54   #1098
Distinguished - BHPian

Swanand is right- the right turn was open yesterday as well. Probably nobdy was expecting it, so they posted a couple of cops at the base of the Wakad flyover who were furiously gesticulating towards the signal

I took hardly 20 minutes to cover the same route at approximately the same time (just after 6) yesterday. Followed xylorider's "stay left" instructions and it seems to have worked! Actually traffic was light yesterday- Thursday effect perhaps?

Mornings I reach the entrance to HJW around 9, so I usually take the Mycar/Mezza9 route- it's pretty clear at that time since the trucks are only allowed after 10:30.

@anil- Shivaji chowk is the one where the road from Phase 1 joins the Hinjewadi main road. Laxmi chowk is the one where the road from Mycar underpass (after turning slightly right) meets the Mezza 9 road. Others feel free to contribute to this list! :d

Last edited by noopster : 3rd February 2012 at 11:56.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:01   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Also, once a bus (private or contracted from PMPML) is used for company/school purpose, it cannot be used as stage carrier. For eg: If you are an employee residing at Kothrud and you see a bus going towards Katraj, you cannot board that bus even if you are a registered user of company transport.
Total tangent situation!
Sorry mate, but I didnt understand this at all.

Do you intend to say that if I avail company transport from HJW to Kothrud, then I cannot take the Katraj bus if it is being run by PMPML?
I think the same is applicable for private buses too. I cannot take any bus other than my designated one, even if it passes by my destination.

I think this is not what you intended to say, so appreciate your clarification/s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I took hardly 20 minutes to cover the same route at approximately the same time (just after 6) yesterday. Followed xylorider's "stay left" instructions and it seems to have worked! Actually traffic was light yesterday- Thursday effect perhaps?
Now with you all following stay left instructions, would the right be more open?! Chalo, at least now all the spottings will be in the left lane for some time
All said and done, I hope someone is working on a real solution and not basking in the glory of the current (relative) success of this workaround. It wont be long before the traffic volumes overwhelm this workaround too.
A band aid will not fix a fracture

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd February 2012 at 12:06.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:06   #1100
BHPian

Yesterday was best for me. I nearly reached highway without stopping anywhere using newly opened right turn. There was just brief wait near Soundarya hotel.

Some of the Taxi/Riksha folks are saying that this flyover will be demolished and rebuilt to allow highway traffic to pass over it. Basically rotate it by 90 degrees. My quality folks will be thrilled to write a case study on 'cost of rework' in this case.

Btw who owns Blue Vento TDI with simple team-bhp.com sticker on number plate? I saw this car in Hinjewadi today.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:38   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Total tangent situation!
Sorry mate, but I didnt understand this at all.

Do you intend to say that if I avail company transport from HJW to Kothrud, then I cannot take the Katraj bus if it is being run by PMPML?
I think the same is applicable for private buses too. I cannot take any bus other than my designated one, even if it passes by my destination.

I think this is not what you intended to say, so appreciate your clarification/s!
With the assumption your company has transport services (either pvt buses or PMPML on contract) I cannot take bus A from company to say Kothrud and board bus B from Kothrud to Katraj.

The intention is to not have a parallel service being run by companies for their employees. The contract license is applicable only for allowing employees of contracting organization to avail of this service provided that the destination point during morning is the company and source point in the evening is the same company.

Hope this clarifies!
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:40   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Some of the Taxi/Riksha folks are saying that this flyover will be demolished and rebuilt to allow highway traffic to pass over it. Basically rotate it by 90 degrees. My quality folks will be thrilled to write a case study on 'cost of rework' in this case.

Btw who owns Blue Vento TDI with simple team-bhp.com sticker on number plate? I saw this car in Hinjewadi today.
I think we have already ranted about the flyover rotation plan a few pages ago on this thread. I am ok to do it again

Blue Vento = ninjatalli. Not sure about stickers.

Quote:
The intention is to not have a parallel service being run by companies for their employees. The contract license is applicable only for allowing employees of contracting organization to avail of this service provided that the destination point during morning is the company and source point in the evening is the same company.
Hope this clarifies!
Aah now I get it. thanks mmxylo/estilorider.
Would it not be feasible for PMT to run a Volvo bus service for this route? One that can be availed by anyone regardless of whom they work for? People who avail this service may then be offered some leeway from their organisations, either in terms of time or money.

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd February 2012 at 13:43.
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:41   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Would it not be feasible for PMT to run a Volvo bus service for this route? One that can be availed by anyone regardless of whom they work for? People who avail this service may then be offered some leeway from their organisations, either in terms of time or money.
I have always been a firm proponent of the park and ride system. From Wakad, have a circular route (clockwise and anti) covering HJW, Ph1-3. If a parking lot is made available, one could park his vehicle there covering the last few kms via this public transit. The frequeny could be significantly high during commute times and will also serve as a HJW specific transport system. Reduce the frequency during off hours to ensure fleet utlization. Companies could possibly subsidize/sell montly vouchers to employees as benefit.
Of course the 6 seater/3 seater will go out of business and their lobby/netas will put in the max roadblocks - literally!
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:57   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Case for a Volvo bus

Lets just say a new Volvo B7R LE (or is it now B9R LE?) citybus costs 60lakh rupees.
They start a bus service from Deccan bus stand to Hinjewadi and back 10 times a day (5 morning arrivals, 5 evening departures).
Run this service on 5 weekdays, 20 days a month.
Ticket priced at 50 bucks for single trip. 30 people opt to travel by it everyday.

50*30 = 1500 per trip. 15,000 for a day. 20 days a month.
So thats 3,00,000 rupees a month in guaranteed revenue.

Even if you consider maintenance and bribes, they can break even in less than 2 years. I dunno why it cannot be done.
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:10   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Re: Case for a Volvo bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
50*30 = 1500 per trip. 15,000 for a day. 20 days a month.
So thats 3,00,000 rupees a month in guaranteed revenue.

Even if you consider maintenance and bribes, they can break even in less than 2 years. I dunno why it cannot be done.
Your bubble. My pin. Prick. Sorry, but I am a pessimist for this topic!
1. I dont see how one bus will make 5 round trips between Deccan and HJW in peak hours. Most of the commuters will want to return between 6 and 9pm. A trip from HJW to Deccan will take at least 45 mins one way
2. Running costs (fuel, driver etc) will make a sizeable dent in that 3 lakh rupees.

I do agree that this is the best possible way to ferry 30 people every trip. No idea how many of the existing car owners would switch to the Volvo. Somehow I think the long term solution has to be the metro. Mass transit in hundreds. And dissuade cars. Possibly put a toll naka there after building the metro.
My grandkids would be discussing the same and say that look my grandad commented on this thread x years ago

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd February 2012 at 15:13.
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:05   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Okay, break even in 5 years instead of two... Deploy 2 buses instead of 1. But 5 trips each way should be minimum to make any meaningful impact.
I see the Kothrud Hinjewadi PMPMPL bus everyday while going back, and boy-o-boy, its got more people in one bus than I have hair on my head. Absolutely unbelievable crush. I should take pictures the next time I see it.
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:10   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, break even in 5 years instead of two... Deploy 2 buses instead of 1. But 5 trips each way should be minimum to make any meaningful impact.
I see the Kothrud Hinjewadi PMPMPL bus everyday while going back, and boy-o-boy, its got more people in one bus than I have hair on my head. Absolutely unbelievable crush. I should take pictures the next time I see it.
I agree, it has to be initiated one way or the other.
By the way that hair on the head statement is totally uncalled for.
It has a totally different meaning based on who uses it. Especially if it is some person like me who is follically challenged for no fault of his own. I digress.

I hope you are not being sarcastic about the crowd in that bus.
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:19   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree, it has to be initiated one way or the other.
By the way that hair on the head statement is totally uncalled for.
It has a totally different meaning based on who uses it. Especially if it is some person like me who is follically challenged for no fault of his own. I digress.

I hope you are not being sarcastic about the crowd in that bus.
Et tu 'eh ? From one victim of life's cruel joke to another..I feel you man!!
When I said my head, I didnt actually mean my head.
What I actually meant to say is that the bus resembles the head of those more follically blessed amongst us.
It also stops dangerously on the highway, after the Sus exit, which I guess is it first stop after Wakad. Or rather, the highway is too narrow to accomodate a bus which stops occupying an entire lane.
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:22   #1109
Senior - BHPian

I was so expecting Bala to take mild offence to the hair on the head comment . Sorry mate, cant help taking a dig at you.

See, the break in wouldnt be a problem for someone like PMPML authorities. Its not that they dont have money for investments. Oh they do! Problem is, they would start a regular serivce if they get a guarantee of a number of seats. That unfortunately aint happening.

So, basically, its all running around in circles.
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:36   #1110
BHPian

Re: Case for a Volvo bus

Quote:
Would it not be feasible for PMT to run a Volvo bus service for this route?
Quote:
I think PMPML being lazy & ignorant organization will wait till BRTS becomes operational on Aundh-Ravet & Nashikfata-Wakad route. Refer attached PDF for PMT's ambitious plans. Source: www.pcmcindia.in/ESMF%20Report/Executive%20Summary.pdf

Quote:
I have always been a firm proponent of the park and ride system. From Wakad, have a circular route (clockwise and anti) covering HJW, Ph1-3. If a parking lot is made available, one could park his vehicle there covering the last few kms via this public transit. The frequeny could be significantly high during commute times and will also serve as a HJW specific transport system. Reduce the frequency during off hours to ensure fleet utlization. Companies could possibly subsidize/sell montly vouchers to employees as benefit.
Of course the 6 seater/3 seater will go out of business and their lobby/netas will put in the max roadblocks - literally!
Actually this is one bright way forward. As NashikPhata-Wakad BRTS is finishing at Wakad. It is good to construct a big commuter plaza at Wakad. From this commuter plaza only PMT buses to reach HJW. Frequency as many as you can think. It's like shuttle on circular wakad route.

Commuter Plaza = { Big City Bus stand like Majestic of Bangalore + Huge Parking facilities for private motorised & non motorised vehicles }

Okey.

Most Viewed