Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 11:52   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hinjewadi Traffic Issues

For the last couple of days have been coming in early and touching Wakad at around 8.15 AM so cannot really comment on the efficacy of the solution.

But i still fail to understand the point of blocking one lane of the flyover. How is it helping in reducing the flow of traffic on the flyover? I could see barricades put up on the flyover in Hinjewadi > Wakad direction and vehicles coming from Hinjewadi were being asked to go under the flyover.
Old 25th January 2012, 13:25   #1052
Senior - BHPian

I come by bus at around 8:20, and today it was a breeze till shell petrol pump. After that it was moving, so yeah a bit of improvement is noticeable.

Side note, did you guys hear about the bus rage in Swargate?
Old 25th January 2012, 13:31   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Side note, did you guys hear about the bus rage in Swargate?
Its being discussed here and on the Accidents in India thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-rants-59.html

Quite a surreal day at office. A number of guys have come in from there and its a numb scenario. Much quieter than usual, and definitely sombre
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 13:56   #1054
BHPian

I dont think that the re-routing is really being enforced. Last evening, on my drive home, i could see plenty of vehicles on the flyover cogoing towards HJW. Even this morning, i could see company buses use the HJW flyover. In any case, I do not think that making the flyover a 1-way will help much.
The other rerouting of moving the buses from Mezza9 and Shivaji Chowk seem to be more useful, but wonder what the jam at Bhumkar Chowk will be like
Old 25th January 2012, 15:53   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
I dont think that the re-routing is really being enforced. Last evening, on my drive home, i could see plenty of vehicles on the flyover cogoing towards HJW. Even this morning, i could see company buses use the HJW flyover. In any case, I do not think that making the flyover a 1-way will help much.
The other rerouting of moving the buses from Mezza9 and Shivaji Chowk seem to be more useful, but wonder what the jam at Bhumkar Chowk will be like
It is not so bad. Today morning I had to visit the VW workshop so had to come via that underpass. What probably helped was the lesser number of 2-wheelers & the six-seaters. Yes, there were long slow queues, but overall well-managed by the cops at the underpass. However if you are a 4-wheerler, I would not advise you to opt for this route in the evening.

As for the flyover rule, what is a bit amusing is that most of the cars still maintain a 2 lane approach keeping the other two lanes for the opposite traffic, however the bikes & 6 seaters overtake the cars by crossing the lanes as usual.
Old 25th January 2012, 16:18   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
As for the flyover rule, what is a bit amusing is that most of the cars still maintain a 2 lane approach keeping the other two lanes for the opposite traffic, however the bikes & 6 seaters overtake the cars by crossing the lanes as usual.
Completely agree.
What was shocking / annoying / amusing - all at the same time was - I was riding on my RE Thunderbird on left most lane on the flyover yesterday and the car wala was not able to go past me - another question where would he have gone as ahead of me was a company bus
Anyways, he asked me to go to right on the otherside of the flyover and cut across the traffic.
Most of the times I have observed the drivers who chose to create 3rd / 4th lane end up piling up at the end and the left most lane is more efficient in terms of going faster than rest of the folks.
Old 27th January 2012, 11:46   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Has the orange route been repaved ? I heard from someone that it was being repaired last week.
How is the crowd on the Bridge route while going back post the new rules implementation ?
Old 27th January 2012, 12:07   #1058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Has the orange route been repaved ? I heard from someone that it was being repaired last week.
How is the crowd on the Bridge route while going back post the new rules implementation ?
Marginally better in the morning hours. Honestly speaking, most of us hardly encounter the buses as they generally reach office by 9 and during the rest of the hours, they form a minority of the traffic. Its in the evening when the difference is seen, as the traffic flow is far better.

OT : I doubt if this is a great idea. What the administration have done is give car & bike owners an additional fresh breath of air. What will happen is people who might have migrated from cars/bikes to company buses will start thinking to get back on their personal vehicles, only increasing the traffic. I haven't really spoken to company bus travellers, but I am pretty sure the detour has increased their travel time.

At the risk of having a negative approach to myself and most of the junta on this forum, I would recommend an approach that supports & public transport than the individual drivers, maybe at the risk of penalising the latter.

Still on a self-contradictory note, unless there is a better alternative, I relish the new rules & enjoy the benefits of it till it lasts.
Old 27th January 2012, 12:31   #1059
BHPian

This morning at 8:20 AM when I turned in from the highway towards HJW, I did see a quite a number of buses on the flyover and also on the road towards the chowk. I thought the ban for buses on this route was implemented between 8AM-10AM. :(

Need one more input; on the way back from HJW towards Wakad how was the traffic situation on 25th Jan, as I was on leave am not aware of the scenario.

Last edited by Hurrycane12 : 27th January 2012 at 12:33.
Old 27th January 2012, 12:33   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Actually, buses are banned on the flyover only between 6 and 8 pm. Morning time has no such restriction apart from the fact that you cannot go from HJW to Wakad from the flyover.
So while going back, say at 6.30-7, is there a significant reduction in congestion on the bridge ? I use the bus and get stuck on the Mezza9 route, so I have no way of knowing...
Old 27th January 2012, 12:48   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, buses are banned on the flyover only between 6 and 8 pm. Morning time has no such restriction apart from the fact that you cannot go from HJW to Wakad from the flyover.
So while going back, say at 6.30-7, is there a significant reduction in congestion on the bridge ? I use the bus and get stuck on the Mezza9 route, so I have no way of knowing...
I cannot compare with how it was just before applying this rule because I use the Orange route and tried the Wakad bridge route and it was as bad, there were still hiccups at the octroi naka, traffic was as slow as it used to be (may be a tiny winy bit better) and taking the u-turn and turning right was as stressful as ever, I would return to the orange route for its predictability, repairs or no repairs.
Old 27th January 2012, 18:33   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Months of travelling in the bus have made me go soft! I feel like I no longer have the stomach to face the HJW logjam in the evenings.. Wish I could park the car at the Wakad octroi post and catch bus to and fro.
Old 29th January 2012, 20:25   #1063
Senior - BHPian

I have my reservations about the current traffic restrictions for Wakad Bridge.
Since vehicles now cannot come from Wakad towards HJW from 6-8 PM, this is how it currently looks like :

Hinjewadi Traffic Issues-current.png

This relatively frees up the congestion on the bridge, but then creates a bottleneck at the foot of the flyover. Since they are already not allowing vehicles to go towards the bridge, why not make it something like this, ie, allow a U-turn much before the existing road puncture :

Hinjewadi Traffic Issues-proposed.png

That way, traffic going towards Wakad/Aundh goes unhindered, and those taking the U-turn for NH4 also dont have to wait for the oncoming traffic to thin.

PS : Please forgive me for the crude MS Paint representations. Explains my scores in engineering drawing.
Old 30th January 2012, 04:40   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
why not make it something like this, ie, allow a U-turn much before the existing road puncture :
Nice work Sajo. Possible reason is to discourage Baner/Pashan/highway bound traffic from taking this route.
In any case, I dont think the current arrangment will add any value. It will cause a bottleneck at the foot of the flyover because 4 lanes are suddenly merged into 2.
Old 30th January 2012, 09:13   #1065
BBT
BHPian

Turned in towards HJW from NH4 at around 8:30 am today. Was surprised at the number of buses that were on the road. Although the traffic was moving (albeit slowly), I was surprised to see buses occupying all lanes. Plus, at Shivaji chowk, there was a PMPL bus coming from Ph 1 trying to turn towards Wakad flyover. A policeman had stopped him and a was trying to explain to him that he can't cross from the flyover and should go ahead towards Kalakhadak. Unfortunately, the only ones suffering throughout all this was all lanes of traffic that the bus had stopped. Despite the buses, the incidents and the usual melee, was able to reach Ph 2 (Wipro Chowk) at about 8:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks