Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 13:58   #1
BHPian

Dogs / Cats damage my car!

Or it may be dogs!!!

Has never happened in the last 8 months I've parked outside. A cat has laid kittens behind my house and maybe they wanted an expensive scratch pole. But the paw prints look too big, it may even be dogs. Unfortunately, I had disabled the sound from the security system, so the car took it all silently. I don't know how expensive it's going to be, the scratches are deep and if I neglect them, there's the risk of rusting. Oh boy, it's going to be an expensive second service.
Attached Thumbnails
Dogs / Cats damage my car!-imag0002.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-imag0003.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-imag0004.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by tintin82 : 27th August 2010 at 14:01.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
Or it may be dogs!!!

Has never happened in the last 8 months I've parked outside. A cat has laid kittens behind my house and maybe they wanted an expensive scratch pole. But the paw prints look too big, it may even be dogs. Unfortunately, I had disabled the sound from the security system, so the car took it all silently. I don't know how expensive it's going to be, the scratches are deep and if I neglect them, there's the risk of rusting. Oh boy, it's going to be an expensive second service.
Well, Im really sorry to see this. Its definitely not kittens as they would not be able to reach fender height. Its definitely cats though. I have seen the same thing happening in my society too, that cats tend to climb the car and sleep on the hood or even the roof. Don't know what pleasure they get in doing that but since we BHPians maintain our cars so well which keeps the paint smooth, the cats use their claws for grip and ends up scratching the paint badly. I have also noticed that they sit only on particular cars always. Don't know the reason why.

You can probably try a rubbing compound for temporary relief but the best option would be to get it re-painted.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have 3 cats in my house and they never ever have scratched any of the cars parked in my home. Car surface is too slippey for cats to scratch - they prefer jute mats or tree bark. I guess you should further investigate this to bring out the real 'cat' from the bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Well, Im really sorry to see this. Its definitely not kittens as they would not be able to reach fender height. Its definitely cats though. I have seen the same thing happening in my society too, that cats tend to climb the car and sleep on the hood or even the roof. Don't know what pleasure they get in doing that but since we BHPians maintain our cars so well which keeps the paint smooth, the cats use their claws for grip and ends up scratching the paint badly. I have also noticed that they sit only on particular cars always. Don't know the reason why.

You can probably try a rubbing compound for temporary relief but the best option would be to get it re-painted.
Its a habit of cats to perch on high ground where they can keep an eye on the surrounding. Guess its instincts at work. My cats regularly occupy the top of refigerator and storage cabinets.

Last edited by blackasta : 27th August 2010 at 14:13.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:16   #4
BHPian

I go by what blackasta says. Car surface is too slippery for the cats to scratch. More over, cat/dog nails are'nt strong enough to cause such scratches. Looks more like a vandal. You could as of now get the scratches rubbed and a slight touchup would be required.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

No option other than repainting. Fenders as well as the bonnet would require repainting. Rather than the dealer, you could check out a good paint shop nearby, who would do the work for you as good as the dealer, but at a fraction of what it would cost you at the dealer. You could check out the member recommendations for good paint shops on the forum itself.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Doesn't look too bad. Try a rubbing compound followed by a touch-up pen. (eBay India: Car Paint Scratch Repair Pen - Top Class Utility (item 280551845291 end time 28-Aug-2010 22:30:00 IST))
Old 27th August 2010, 15:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I have also noticed that they sit only on particular cars always. Don't know the reason why.
Heat? Maybe! It was cold all day yesterday and maybe wanted the warmth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I have 3 cats in my house and they never ever have scratched any of the cars parked in my home. Car surface is too slippey for cats to scratch - they prefer jute mats or tree bark. I guess you should further investigate this to bring out the real 'cat' from the bag!
It's just that there are paw prints, both big and small and the fact that it has laid kittens that made me think it was cats. This is not my first tryst with felines though. When I had gone for a week vacation, a cat entered through a ventilation grille, couldn't go out, and well, you can imagine the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Looks more like a vandal.
Maybe, but there are paw prints for sure, and the pattern of mud smeared all around indicates that it was an animal rather than human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Rather than the dealer, you could check out a good paint shop nearby, who would do the work for you as good as the dealer, but at a fraction of what it would cost you at the dealer.
Good suggestion, thanks! I never thought about that. There are minor dents that need to be removed from the rear as well. Sigh! And this is less than a year old!!

I'm somehow not angry or upset though! I just want to kick myself for not putting on the cover! I used to do that and stopped as I just got plain lazy!!! A deserving reminder, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Have you used this personally or know someone who has used this? Three scratches are quite deep where it's gone below the paint layer. I will have to get a impartial professional opinion before doing some DIY. (Egad! impartial and professional, where am I going to find one!!!)

Last edited by tintin82 : 27th August 2010 at 15:08.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:42   #8
BHPian

My car too is a victim of this. The cat was trying to catch the mice present in the apartment block and ended up scratching the bonnet and the fenders. The mice also damaged the coolant hose resulting in the coolant leaking away overnight. I had to get the car towed to the service center where they replaced the hose and the coolant.

Its almost 5 months now and I haven't got the car repainted. I have observed that the scratched are less visible if I polish the damaged parts and am living with it. I plan to get the painting done once the car picks up more scratches on those parts which are unavoidable due to the crazy traffic in Bangalore.
Old 27th August 2010, 16:19   #9
BHPian

stray dogs in the vicinity of my colony have acquired a taste for car fenders: all of them have marks of canines!
Old 27th August 2010, 16:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its definitely cats though. I have seen the same thing happening in my society too, that cats tend to climb the car and sleep on the hood or even the roof. Don't know what pleasure they get in doing that but since we BHPians maintain our cars so well which keeps the paint smooth, the cats use their claws for grip and ends up scratching the paint badly. I have also noticed that they sit only on particular cars always. Don't know the reason why.
I guess the reasons are
  • Heat of the engine
  • Elevation

Cats rest on the bonnet of my Esteem as well. But, never cause scratches though. This was violent. Sorry to see such an attack. :(
Old 27th August 2010, 18:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
I go by what blackasta says. Car surface is too slippery for the cats to scratch. More over, cat/dog nails are'nt strong enough to cause such scratches. Looks more like a vandal. You could as of now get the scratches rubbed and a slight touchup would be required.
I strongly disagree with both of you as I have personally witnessed this in my society. It has become such a nuisance that we have objected to certain 'extra' smart' members in our society who go out of their way to feed these stray cats. We are actually planning to call the municipality to take these cats away.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:47   #12
BHPian

I have been facing this menace for many many years here in Saudi Arabia esp since there is a huge cat population here, while there are no dogs at all. The cats always sit on top of the car and also used to make a mess of the seat of my expensive motorbike inspite of having a bike cover. Finally, I built a small garage for the bike, but car is left in the open.

To make things worse, one cold day as I started my car, I heard a loud bang & rattle sound from the engine and I quickly stopped the engine. When I opened the bonnet, I see a dead cat with blood spattered all around and ...... and last but not the least, my engine drive belt had snapped
Old 27th August 2010, 20:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
Have you used this personally or know someone who has used this? Three scratches are quite deep where it's gone below the paint layer. I will have to get a impartial professional opinion before doing some DIY. (Egad! impartial and professional, where am I going to find one!!!)
Know and seen someone use it on his car, not on my own. Scratches that deep, it may not work. The pen DIY is not going to damage the paintwork any worse than it already is. Before spending more, it may be worth investing the few hundred rupees that the pen costs. The results might still be acceptable, and the original paint stays in place. Resprayed cars lose value.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:24   #14

Are you sure cats did it mate, looks like a coyote's claw mark!
Old 28th August 2010, 17:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fink_ployd View Post
Are you sure cats did it mate, looks like a coyote's claw mark!
Nah, no coyotes here. Just cats, dogs and the occasional cow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks