Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 11:25   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Dogs / Cats damage my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Else, stay awake one night. Wait till the dog goes in to deep slumber on your car's roof. Then dunk it with a bucket of ice cold water! One may use hot (not scalding) water too, if one is so inclined!
Sorry to say, but these suggestions border on the line of animal cruelty - dunking a bucket of hot water or ice cold water onto a living thing. I wonder if you ever gave a thought as to why these animals are getting onto the roof. They don't harbour any grudge against the OP, so please have a kind heart for homeless animals when dealing with such issues. They are mostly doing it because the cool roof provides them relief from the summer heat

On the logical side of things, drenching them with water will actually relieve them of the summer heat (which they are currently using the cool roof surface for). They will detect a pattern - "if i climb onto the roof, water falls on me so I can stay cool for the rest of the night" and they will start coming everyday. The plan will backfire!

To the OP - @Styler, get a can of bitter apple spray and put it over the roof. Dogs do not like that smell of that thing, and will stay away. This should be available in any pet shop or supermarket.

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th May 2013 at 11:26.
KarthikK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 11:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
so please have a kind heart for homeless animals when dealing with such issues.
My kind heart should be apparent to you from my admonition to avoid scalding water!

I am not cruel to animals and am a dog lover myself. But I will still discourage a stray dog repeatedly wetting my car tyre with a well aimed half brick, and have no qualms about it!

That is because I have a neatly compartmentalized mind, and don't mix one thing with the other! Comes with age and experience!

As for the water therapy having opposite results, of course one should use cold water in winter and hot water in summer. But generally from my experience I can say dogs will hate to be dunked with any water, though they prefer damp environments in summer!

I have a related but query. For the past few months some dog has been periodically s****ing on the manhole lids of our apartment water sump! It happens at the dead of night and is a mess to clean in the morning. I have tried spraying the lids with diluted dettol at night and it works, mostly. It recurs if we give up the spraying after a few days. We are at our wit's end and have taken to covering the lids with plastic sheets. It is easier to throw the mess away with the sheet in the morning!

I am thinking of borrowing a friend's air gun and staying awake near the window one night. The problem is I am not a marksman and don' know where I will hit him/her and what injury I may cause, if at all I manage to hit. The dog may belong to someone and may not be a stray, for all I know.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Gansan : 28th May 2013 at 12:22.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 17:02   #33
BHPian

While on the topic of Dogs, has anyone experienced Dogs chasing cars? I am aware that riders of 2 wheeler are victims. But on many occasions I have had dogs chasing my car (SX4 and A-Star) when I return late nights. Though it does not actually pounce, it chases it for quite a distance!! This happens occasionally in my vicinity when I return late, and a couple of times on the highway as well. Though it seems funny initially, I dont want to run over them when it comes in front. This almost happened on the Cuddappa - Tirupathi road, when 2 dogs, one from either side of the road started chasing, one almost landed in front....
Old 28th May 2013, 17:29   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of borrowing a friend's air gun and staying awake near the window one night. The problem is I am not a marksman and don' know where I will hit him/her and what injury I may cause, if at all I manage to hit. The dog may belong to someone and may not be a stray, for all I know.

Any suggestions?
I just can't control my laughter reading your solution.
"Staying up all night waiting for the canine to arrive like a sniper waiting for its enemy" If I would have been staying in Chennai I would have definitely visited your place to see this phenomenon.(Not to see how the dog gets hit but how you wait for it entire night by the window haha).

Ok, I did some searching and found that dogs hate the smell of disinfectants or something citrus. There are many theories revolving around this subject(of which stench do dogs hate) but you will get success only through trial and error.

If you're willing to spend some more then you can try dog-repellent sprays;I am unaware of such sprays but if you search you might get your hands on one. Quite sure there must be such products available in India too.

Last thing I can think of is covering the lid with a powder like that of pepper or some strong caustic substance which when the dog will sniff will cause it to sneeze uncontrollably. So it won't venture near your water sump thereafter.

Do let us know what works.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 21:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Though it does not actually pounce, it chases it for quite a distance!! This happens occasionally in my vicinity when I return late, and a couple of times on the highway as well. Though it seems funny initially, I dont want to run over them when it comes in front. This almost happened on the Cuddappa - Tirupathi road, when 2 dogs, one from either side of the road started chasing, one almost landed in front....
I'd just like to advise that please don't swerve too much if you see a dog coming at your car, especially if you are at good speed. There isn't much that you can do about it but in an attempt to avoid it you might get in to an accident or cause one.

Just slow down if you know the area and in case something like this happens on the highway, brake moderately and don't swerve suddenly.
Old 29th May 2013, 09:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
(Not to see how the dog gets hit but how you wait for it entire night by the window haha).

Ok, I did some searching and found that dogs hate the smell of disinfectants or something citrus.
Well, we can wait in shifts, you know!

As I had mentioned, when we spray the lids with diluted dettol, it does not occur. But stop it for even a day or two, it happens again!

Dusting with chilly powder etc is not an option since the sump is in an open courtyard where children play and people sit in the evenings. It might get in to the eyes due to wind.

I have heard of these dog repellants, but have not come across it in the market.
Old 29th May 2013, 12:58   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a related but query. For the past few months some dog has been periodically s****ing on the manhole lids of our apartment water sump! It happens at the dead of night and is a mess to clean in the morning. I have tried spraying the lids with diluted dettol at night and it works, mostly. It recurs if we give up the spraying after a few days. We are at our wit's end and have taken to covering the lids with plastic sheets. It is easier to throw the mess away with the sheet in the morning!

Any suggestions?
Dogs have a natural toilet instinct of repeating their (solid) job at the same place, by using their scent to find out 'familiar' places for doing it every time. There is no sure shot way of preventing this if this is a stray dog, apart from removing all traces of that scent of its previous job . This is why, I believe your dettol method worked. If the dog is still using the same spot after the scent was removed, it could very well be forced to do so by some lazy apartment owner who doesn't want to walk the dog outside for the job . You could only find out by staying up and watching I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Ok, I did some searching and found that dogs hate the smell of disinfectants or something citrus. There are many theories revolving around this subject(of which stench do dogs hate) but you will get success only through trial and error.
Impossible to generalize with the methods used. Some dogs actually like citrus fruits, and some may not be bothered by disinfectant smell. It varies from dog-to-dog, just as it varies from person to person. Like you said, only trial and error will work with that particular dog.

Quote:
If you're willing to spend some more then you can try dog-repellent sprays;I am unaware of such sprays but if you search you might get your hands on one. Quite sure there must be such products available in India too.
Bitter apple spray is one such product. It is used extensively in training dogs for the obvious purposes being discussed here *smiles*. It is also used by some dog trainers to spray it on shoes, socks, etc which might otherwise becoming chew-toys for persistently naughty dogs.

Quote:
Last thing I can think of is covering the lid with a powder like that of pepper or some strong caustic substance which when the dog will sniff will cause it to sneeze uncontrollably. So it won't venture near your water sump thereafter.
Like gansan mentioned, I think this might be dangerous if children play there during other times of the day and accidentally touch their eyes after playing there.

Quote:
I have heard of these dog repellants, but have not come across it in the market.
your best bet would be to visit some big pet shop or supermarket which sells doggy stuff.

Last edited by KarthikK : 29th May 2013 at 13:03.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 13:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the dog is still using the same spot after the scent was removed, it could very well be forced to do so by some lazy apartment owner who doesn't want to walk the dog outside for the job .
No chance. Any kind of pets, except ornamental fish, is a strict no-no in our apartment! The dog(s) come from outside, easily clearing the 5' compound wall. We sometimes wake up at night due to the "conference" they have!

That is what confounds me. If you remove all traces of the smell, they will not do it at the same place. Here we are covering the lids with polythene sheets and spraying with dettol. If we keep spraying for a week, nothing happens. After we stop, it starts again!

And it definitely is dog poo! I have kept dogs for over forty years, and I should know!
Old 29th May 2013, 13:14   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No chance. Any kind of pets, except ornamental fish, is a strict no-no in our apartment! The dog(s) come from outside, easily clearing the 5' compound wall. We sometimes wake up at night due to the "conference" they have!

That is what confounds me. If you remove all traces of the smell, they will not do it at the same place. Here we are covering the lids with polythene sheets and spraying with dettol. If we keep spraying for a week, nothing happens. After we stop, it starts again!

And it definitely is dog poo! I have kept dogs for over forty years, and I should know!
I can suggest you one more fix . If that manhole cover is not used much or if it is not in the direct path of vehicles or people, you could try keeping a pot with a palm plant or some such plant over the manhole cover. The dog will be forced to leave that place and find another spot. Just a suggestion , you could try it and see if the spot shifts elsewhere
Old 29th May 2013, 13:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

The covers need to be opened and closed every single day as we purchase water in tankers. It is a 20,000 litre sump!

Coming back to kindness towards animals, my kind heart is the only thing saving that dog! Else, I can easily think of half a dozen ways to get rid of him!

Dogs make excellent fertilizer for coconut trees, so all angles can be covered! I hope it does not come to that!

Before you jump on me about the fertilizer part, let me tell you I have buried quite a few of our beloved dogs after they gave up the ghost, with my own hands, in our own garden over a period of forty years! Always under a coconut tree, and man, you can almost see the tree perk up!

Last edited by Gansan : 29th May 2013 at 13:28. Reason: Spelling mistake.
Old 29th May 2013, 20:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Impossible to generalize with the methods used. Some dogs actually like citrus fruits, and some may not be bothered by disinfectant smell. It varies from dog-to-dog, just as it varies from person to person. Like you said, only trial and error will work with that particular dog.
Aite Sir! You are perfectly right, I was to add this point that it differs from dog to dog, instead I wrote only trial and error might help.
And yes, covering the lid with some irritation causing powder would be a little extreme.

Quote:
Coming back to kindness towards animals, my kind heart is the only thing saving that dog! Else, I can easily think of half a dozen ways to get rid of him!

Dogs make excellent fertilizer for coconut trees, so all angles can be covered! I hope it does not come to that!
!
One thing Sir; love the puns in your posts Love your style of writing!
I am not aware of how or where the sump is located(could you help with a pic of the place?) that's why can't think of anything further; but as Karthik has suggested I think you should definitely try that bitter apple spray and not think of making some "Coconut Tree Fertiliser"

-Bhargav
Old 29th May 2013, 21:38   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
While on the topic of Dogs, has anyone experienced Dogs chasing cars? I am aware that riders of 2 wheeler are victims. But on many occasions I have had dogs chasing my car (SX4 and A-Star) when I return late nights. Though it does not actually pounce, it chases it for quite a distance!! This happens occasionally in my vicinity when I return late, and a couple of times on the highway as well. Though it seems funny initially, I dont want to run over them when it comes in front. This almost happened on the Cuddappa - Tirupathi road, when 2 dogs, one from either side of the road started chasing, one almost landed in front....
I once had the same problem!

I knew where the dogs would wait and once was able to sense their behavior(they were getting ready to run as if to chase the car again) as I was approaching them in the car!

I sped up and as I got closer, their intentions were confirmed , so I swerved the car in their direction and gave them a good scare.

Since then, the dogs just lie there and stare at passing by cars!

Last edited by sohail99 : 29th May 2013 at 21:39.
Old 9th June 2013, 23:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

I woke up today as usual and was greeted by a very unpleasant sight, the cover for the cedia was removed and the car was exposed!
First thing I did go the parking and put back the cover.
Next starting looking up the Surveillance footage for the night. (I have CCTV setup for my car as we have too many unpleasant people trying to vandalize cars, Logos go missing, petrol mysteriously disappears from tanks!

Between 5-6 AM today morning 2 dogs and a cat danced/played and fought on my car! Yup you read it right! On my car !
My CCTV caught the whole thing on Video.

The stupid dogs were strong enough to pull down the cover and make a few holes on the cover.
It was like an unveiling of a new car! but only dogs doing the unveiling and not pretty models.

I will be putting up the video and pictures of the car cover they damaged.
Thankfully zilch Damage to the car.

Now how do I stop these trouble makers?
Old 19th June 2013, 16:01   #44
BHPian

I had this incident today at my apartment where something or somebody has got into the engine bay and done the following damage to a Hyundai Getz:
  • Two large cables in the engine compartment have been cut, with what looks like a plier
  • The car alarm hooter has been broken from the holder and know lying on the engine itself
  • The undercarriage in the engine bay has broken in several places with all pieces found lying near the car.
  • There are several scratch marks on the hood.

The security guards are saying it has to do with cats, there a few feral cats who have given a litter in the apartment and somebody has been feeding them. The same cat was found loitering near my car later and cat hair was in the engine compartment.

I am sharing the photos, what do you think has happened here?
Attached Thumbnails
Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_1901.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_1900.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_1906.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_1904.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_1905.jpg  

Old 19th June 2013, 17:02   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
[list][*]Two large cables in the engine compartment have been cut, with what looks like a plier [*]The car alarm hooter has been broken from the holder and know lying on the engine itself
How come cats can damage stuff inside the bonnet? Like the wires? I would have said that its a rat, but then how do I explain the broken alarm hooter? May be your post belongs to the 'Vandalism' thread.

Suggest you to keep an eye on the car. Hope it was not a bid of lifting it by disabling the alarm systems by cutting wires. They may have cut wrong wires by approaching the wires from under the body which explains the broken part under the engine bay. Not sure, but just a remote thought.

Last edited by saket77 : 19th June 2013 at 17:15.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed