Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2017, 16:42   #61
BHPian

Re: The vicious dogs of Karwar

Wow! Is this the handiwork of dogs or rabid wolves?! Haven't the residents called animal control?
Old 15th April 2017, 17:11   #62
BHPian

Scary is it not? Local residents once got Municipal guys to catch the dogs and transport them far away from the city but some dog lovers took objection and since then on no one seems to be doing anything. I guess this will go on till some human is attacked.
Old 18th July 2017, 10:05   #63
BHPian

Act of Dog

I had parked my car in the usual parking space at my apartment building (gated) last Saturday night after having a good 100 kms run within Bangalore. I had planned a trip to Mysore Sunday morning with my friends and we were to start at 7 am dot. Door bell rang at 6.30 am and the apartment care taker (who is mostly careless) asked me to follow him to the parking lot immediately. I asked if I should get the car key and if I was blocking someones way out of the parking lot. He said, no need of the key and asked "Did you meet with an accident yesterday?" Heart skipped a beat..

To my utter dismay, 4-5 dogs had unleashed hell on my 6 month old ride . Frankly, I had never thought that canines could do something like this to a car. They clearly had a lot of fun. The care taker said that he shoo'ed off the dogs just in time. His just in time was too little too late.

Summarizing the damages:
  • Bumper (LH, RH & Centre)
  • LH & RH Wheel arches
  • LH & RH Inner claddings
  • Mud guards
  • Coolant cap [Biggest shocker of all. Could find dog hair flying inside the bonnet]
  • LH headlight wiring
  • Horn wiring
  • Wiper hose & sensor wiring
  • Number plate

With a heavy heart collected all the bits and pieces, put it in a cover and headed to Pratham Motors, Kudlu Gate. The only relief was that the car was was perfectly fine, albeit the wiper sweep, which was not turning off and minor plastic rattles from the front.

Must say that the SA was very supportive and immediately did a walk around of the car, called the body shop guy and asked to me submit the original insurance paper, RC book copy and License copy immediately for processing. He said that by Tuesday I should get an cost estimate but asked me to keep my hopes low on getting the claim approved as damages caused by animals aren't covered. By the look things, the pocket damage was estimated at Rs. 4K. He said that meanwhile, he will start the work on electricals and update me on the status. The front bumper had to be replaced and painted to match the color of the car. Wiring harness replacement, if required, could take days, so Jugaad connection was the only way for the time being. Await hearing from insurance guy.

I keep going to Mangalore where we have 4 dogs, who welcome us with wagging tails and friendly barks. They keep spraying urea on the tires as they please. Probably the dogs at Bangalore took the scent too personally and instead of leaving their mark, ripped apart the real estate it self. Now, I don't know how to safeguard the car from this 4-legged gang of destroyers. In a fix!

P.S: I love dogs!

Crime scene follows:
Attached Thumbnails
Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20170716_064854.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20170716_064921.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20170716_064941.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20170716_065106.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20170716_070853.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20170716_070709.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20170716_070716.jpg  

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20170716_064915.jpg  

k88k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 10:17   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re: Act of Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
To my utter dismay, 4-5 dogs had unleashed hell on my 6 month old ride . Frankly, I had never thought that canines could do something like this to a car. They clearly had a lot of fun. The care taker said that he shoo'ed off the dogs just in time. His just in time was too little too late.
Woah man, that is really scary and sad to see the destruction by the pack of dogs. Insurance should cover the damages, please claim insurance and get it fixed.
This is the first time I am seeing or hearing of such extensive damage caused by dogs.

Last edited by speedmiester : 18th July 2017 at 10:19.
Old 19th July 2017, 12:24   #65
BHPian

re: Dogs / Cats damage my car!

Insurance guys are acting as they are supposed to. They are refusing to give approval for the claimed damages, saying we do not cover damages caused by Animals. Have escalated the request to higher level, hoping for the best.

Estimated cost of repairs: Rs. 11,500
Old 20th December 2017, 10:40   #66
Team-BHP Support

With winter setting in, it is quite normal for the cats in our society complex to tuck themselves in/under some vehicle.

This morning I left earlier than usual (which means, before other people left and the car cleaners came) and the moment I turned on the engine, I heard rambling from under me. My heart was in my mouth and I was praying this would end well.

The rambling got more desperate (and loud) after a bit and I started making mental notes of everything that could go wrong: an animal stuck in some moving parts, rats inside who could've chewed some bits. After about a couple of min, I turned off the engine and thought I'd open the engine bay.

Just as I did, I saw a tiny cat run away as fast as it could from my car. Phew!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 12:59   #67
BHPian

When Dogs Attack (Cars)!

My dear fellows,

An angry frustrated Diwali traumatized Canine in my street took out on my defenseless metal steed right on Diwali night. The Right and Left panels were chewed, HSRP plate tugged.

Want to know if things can be mended or should I have to go for entire panel and bumper change (due to paint color mismatch even if done in Maruti Authorized Service Station).

I will let the pictures do further talking.

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-1rightpanel.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-2rightplasticfender.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-3hsrpchew.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-4rightfrontpanel.jpg
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 13:10   #68
BHPian

re: When Dogs Attack (Cars)!

I might be wrong but those look like burn marks from a sparkler or a a flower pot. The damage pattern is not similar to a dog bite. Just to be sure, please check on the underside for teeth marks.

If it is fire damage then maybe a trip to the workshop to assess it in depth would be helpful.
Maveryq is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 13:26   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
should I have to go for entire panel and bumper change (due to paint color mismatch even if done in Maruti Authorized Service Station).
If you plan on claiming insurance, I doubt they will approve panel and bumper change. A repaint will take care of the damage. That might work out cheaper if you pay upfront rather than claim insurance, all things considered.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 13:31   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Want to know if things can be mended or should I have to go for entire panel and bumper change (due to paint color mismatch even if done in Maruti Authorized Service Station).
You'll need to repaint the fender. Suggest you not to claim insurance and visit any FNG, it'll work out cheaper.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 14:15   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveryq View Post
I might be wrong but those look like burn marks from a sparkler or a a flower pot. The damage pattern is not similar to a dog bite. Just to be sure, please check on the underside for teeth marks.
Thanks Maveryg. Perpetrator of this crime is canine since my car is parked inside my home compound wall and this felon seems to have jumped into our property and found there is no way out. This happened on both front fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
If you plan on claiming insurance, I doubt they will approve panel and bumper change. A repaint will take care of the damage. That might work out cheaper if you pay upfront rather than claim insurance, all things considered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You'll need to repaint the fender. Suggest you not to claim insurance and visit any FNG, it'll work out cheaper.
Thanks Anu, Libran. I have no intention to go for Insurance claim and would prefer a proper treatment within MASS or FNG. FNG are saying they are not able to source the right color paint from Maruti since it has now been restricted to MASS distribution only. The front metal panels have bite marks, that means the sharp dents are many and the right metal fender panel is pulled little out of shape. So, if MASS agrees, they will need to hammer a little and then putty it for sanding.

The problem that I have is that if they will take this up or ask me to go for full panel change due to color mismatch to lessen work on their part. Car color as such as not faded that much due to very less extended direct sunlight exposure.

Front HSRP is going to carry one ugly mark for rest of its life.
Old 14th November 2018, 15:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FNG are saying they are not able to source the right color paint from Maruti since it has now been restricted to MASS distribution only.

The problem that I have is that if they will take this up or ask me to go for full panel change due to color mismatch to lessen work on their part. Car color as such as not faded that much due to very less extended direct sunlight exposure.
A good paint shop will match the paint to the car colour, so the FNG can source it from them.

There will always be a slight paint shade difference from the OEM colour in an older car, so even MASS will have to alter the colour. They will either do it inhouse or at a paint shop. I personally know one in my town whose clients include all the ASS in the vicinity.

ASS almost always charge for painting the full panel even if a small area needs to be covered so there is no point in changing the bumper for that reason. They still have to match the paint to the rest of the body.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 16:05   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hard Luck man. If you have a valid insurance, claim it. There is no part replacement in this and painting is normally considered as labour, so, you'll get 100% claim minus claim charges and no-claim bonus next year. So, figure out what's profitable.

As for colour matching. You'll have to find out a good paint shop.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 16:21   #74
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to see this damage. You need to get the damaged parts repainted and don't worry about colour matching, these days it is quite easy if you go to reputed shops and dealers. Ensure you set your expectations clear.

Since the damage is restricted to two pieces, it should be under 5-6k and for that I would suggest you do it from hand and not claim insurance. These days insurance premiums are going way high and those valuable NCB percentage help during renewal.

ps: Usually dogs attack like this when a rodent or cats tries to hide behind the vehicle. Do check if that is the case. From a colleagues first hand experience.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 13:37   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
As for colour matching. You'll have to find out a good paint shop.
Thanks Dhanushs. This is my first step now. No insurance, all out of pocket. Worried if I can get the right color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
ps: Usually dogs attack like this when a rodent or cats tries to hide behind the vehicle. Do check if that is the case. From a colleagues first hand experience.
Highly possible. The place where we live in Chennai still has lot of green cover and snakes, critter crawlies are part of our lives. I checked the bay for tell tale signs of rat (foot prints on dust), but could not see any. This happened to our neighbor last year when a group of dogs entered their compound during the "Love Season" and tore an i20 bumper right off its hinges. Only after people intervened and got the compound gates opened did they stop attacking that car. Luckily they had only plastics to replace, unlike my metal damage.

I am not sure what made that dog attack my front metal HSRP. It was nibbled and pulled out of shape and it has very sharp edges which I carefully avoid while waxing since it has cut me several times. Luckily it did not paw its way on top of hood.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks