Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 23:43   #16
BHPian

Some say till Mahabalipuram or Pondicherry for a Chennai guy is ok by car, but Coimbatore, Trichy, Madurai, Bangalore, take the overnight train. This is the general perception. Some other say, I will use my car to my hometown if I dont get train tickets for Diwali/etc. But I have not seen anyone actually doing it. For me, seeing around is a very important aspect. So car serves best if I can afford day time travel. I am a poor night driver. If its day I get the entire view. Wifey enjoys sitting alongside and never gets car-travel sick, which she used to when traveling in the back-seat while in a hired taxi. I tried sitting in the back seat in my stationary car once and I thought it would be impossible for me to travel that way since there is no view. And now I think train travel is similar. The train windows dont open up the world. So if one has 3-4 days and the travel time is 10 to 12 hrs or lesser, it would be the car.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Rail vs Road scenario comparison totally lacks one of the most important aspect of travelling:

"Planning and booking".

Travelling by train requires you to plan 2 months in advance, because within few weeks of opening - all seats are reserved.
Then you only have tatkal 2 days before the journey - which gets filled in few minutes (seconds in some cases).

Can you always plan your journeys with precision so much in advance?
Old 16th September 2010, 22:00   #18
BHPian

I, for one, without batting an eyelid used to take my car for any distance less than 400 hours not to mention distance less than 200 kms. But then that has changed. That was some 5 years ago. Now, I've kids and have had driven extensively in the US and Canada don't feel comfortable to drive anymore in the outskirts. Added to those fears are the news one comes across almost daily - "driver beaten up", "mugged", "duped" and what not. But the "me" in me would still love a car drive if I feel a little more assured of the safety of tiny occupants in my car - my 2 children. Personally, I would *never* drive a car for distances in 100s of Kms if one is in a hurry / distress or the like.
Drive safe!
Old 16th September 2010, 22:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

I drive down everywhere. Gives me the freedom go where "I" want to, when "I" want to.

Shan2nu
Old 17th September 2010, 16:36   #20
BHPian

I always travel by train / bus irrespective of distance. all this changed after i learned driving and gained confidence slow & steady. Have done numerous trip of around 100-150kms with kids in tow ,next month will take the gaint leap and drive down to chennai 650+kms for dussera holidays. I am all excited and eagerly awaiting the drive. Cost benefit goes out of the window,Hey Dil Mange More
Old 24th September 2010, 00:55   #21
BHPian

I can take my pet with me, enjoy dhaba chai and food! Luggage is not an issue plus its an adventure. driving inter city makes me feel like a true traveller and it has its old world charm. Sure its a bit dangerous but so are planes and trains with con men and the like.
Old 24th September 2010, 10:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
I always travel by train / bus irrespective of distance. all this changed after i learned driving and gained confidence slow & steady. Have done numerous trip of around 100-150kms with kids in tow ,next month will take the gaint leap and drive down to chennai 650+kms for dussera holidays. I am all excited and eagerly awaiting the drive. Cost benefit goes out of the window,Hey Dil Mange More
Hey Arjuna: Similar story here. And during the Dussera we are going to Mumbai for the first time and are excited as well. Are you coming via Bangalore on the NH7 and then the NH4 or will you be taking the NH205 diversion thru Tirupati to Chennai? Maybe we shall cross over at Doddaballapur!
Old 24th September 2010, 10:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
If you value time and if driving/riding saves time; drive.
Economy and tension free is train.
In my view traveling by train isn't economical. Please remember for 200 Kms you have to bear following cost at least

1. Train Ticket in some AC coaches (AC 3 Tier for 200 Kms per person would cost you around 500 - 600 Rupees per person). Please remember total four tickets need to be purchased. (2 onward, 2 return).

2. Too and Fro cab fare to station. Source, Destination, Return source, Return destination ( Lets say 125.00 + 125.00 + 125.00+ 125.00). Total 500 Rupees.

3. Porter charges (100)

To sum up for 2 persons traveling by train (AC 3 tier) for 200 + 200 Kms To and Fro journey are

Fare: 2400 +
Cab : 500 +
Porter: 100

Total 3000.00 Rupees.

For a Diesel car with avg of 10Km/Ltr and considering diesel price at 40 Rs per liter would cost 1600 Rupees worth diesel.

So, for two person traveling by car is economical by 1400 Rupees.

Last edited by anujmishra : 24th September 2010 at 10:44.

Most Viewed