Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 15:19   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
thanks for sharing this.

My colleague lost his Sony Ericsson phone in a similar way around 3 weeks back in Delhi.

They were 4 people traveling in M800. It all happened at Preet Vihar, busy signal next to V3S mall.

The red light turned green, just when the traffic was starting to move, this guy started thumping on the left side back of the car. All started looking behind and asking what happened. Since the windows were opened one guy came and took away his phone kept in the front. Nobody realised that the phone was stolen.

Now the other guy thumping the car vanished, people from behind started honking, seeing the traffic moving, they started off. A lady pulled up next to them and told them that your cell is taken away. Then he realised that it was a set up and they have lost their phone.

Surprising is the fact that the phone was kept in the instrument panel placeholder, the thief took it by putting his hand between the steering wheel and the drivers hand. Amazing haath ki safaai.

I would like add one more precaution.

Do not keep your phones on the outer side while talking (if windows are open), chances of phone snatching by bikers are very high.
This incident happened to a friend on the very same stretch. His driver was alone in the car. Somebody came and started beating the passenger side window, so the driver opened his door which because of central locking opened all four and the the men disappeared with the laptop kept on backseat . These incidents made it to TOI too and they were named "THAK THAK GANG"
Old 7th September 2010, 16:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Such bad incidents, leaves a poor taste for life.
I always make it a point to manually lock the doors of the car when I switch off engine at the signal. There are many beggars moving around the signal and you never know who will do what.
Therefore always drive with windows up and take care that the doors are locked too.
Old 7th September 2010, 19:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Do not keep your phones on the outer side while talking (if windows are open), chances of phone snatching by bikers are very high.
I would like to share what happened to one of my friend.
Back in 2007, he was walking to the nearby market from his home when he received a call from someone. He continued walking down the road talking on the phone that was held in right hand.

All of a sudden, two guys on bike approached from behind and snatched his cell phone.

If you are walking and receive a phone call, better to stop and attend the call.

"Walk when you talk" is not always the best idea Sir Ji!

Hold the cell phone in your left hand and take a 90 degree turn towards right so that you have some idea who is coming on both the sides of the road.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 7th September 2010 at 19:33. Reason: typos again
Old 9th September 2010, 01:08   #19
BHPian

I find the little mobile pocket on the front of the drivers seat in the ikon really helpful.

A long time rule is to have no visible temptations in the car - everything goes in the boot or in the glove compartment or under the seat!

This will also keep your ICE and car safer. Lesser the temptation, lesser the probability of theft.
Old 9th September 2010, 02:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

To this ex-Londoner, Chennai has seemed, up to now, a very innocent place --- despite my Tamil wife telling me it is not as innocent as I think. If you leave anything, even an empty bag, visible in a parked car in London, it is likely that you will come back to smashed glass. HU panel left attached? bye bye HU.

However, my sense is that I've really just experienced the last days of that innocence here , and that things may soon be more dangerous here than London. At least in London, one does not have gangs marching into hotels and wrecking them (and the whole thing disappearing from the newspapers in 48 hours).

I have never even thought of locking the car doors when driving. After reading this thread I'm going to make that as much a habit as putting the seat belt on.
Old 9th September 2010, 08:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To this ex-Londoner, Chennai has seemed, up to now, a very innocent place
Yes it is still an innocent place, compared to the horror stories that we hear from Bangalore/Pune & now Delhi. I've travelled & still travelling across the city all through midnights & past. But again, I guess it depends on the area. Whatever be the case, one can always spot a cop or cop car less than 2-3 Kms.

Quote:
However, my sense is that I've really just experienced the last days of that innocence here , and that things may soon be more dangerous here than London.
Absolutely agreed without any second thoughts; infact, I'm waiting to see when such a news would become a break through in Chennai. But these tricks were tested & tried long back in Chennai even before these hit Bangalore or Pune. See my post here.

Quote:
I have never even thought of locking the car doors when driving. After reading this thread I'm going to make that as much a habit as putting the seat belt on.
What made you think Chennai is quite safe? Once I experienced someone who parked his motorcycle in front of my car for honking at him. I was using twin 12V spider horns!!!

Last edited by aargee : 9th September 2010 at 08:03.
Old 14th October 2012, 18:20   #22
BHPian

re: Gangs, Road Theft & Street Advice

The first and foremost thing which can be practiced in such cases is :

(a) Don't lose your cool.

(b) Never ever try to unlock or open door or window even if your drive has been hit in crowded places.
Reach to a safe place and then inspect the damage, if any.

(c) Carry your valuables and place them in desired cubicles near you.

(d) Stay alert in crowded areas like markets etc.

(e) Never attempt to leave your car and chase the thief.

lastly,
pray to God for forgiveness.

In case,
one has lost something precious and couldn't recover with generous attempts,
don't get disheartened.
Some things are beyond our control and are bound to happen.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:43   #23
BHPian

I'm truly sorry for what happened to you sir. I have paid similarly twice. You can read my incident here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2871496

Always as a rule never talk to anyone who knocks on your window. Never, ever! Even if you had done something wrong which you are unaware of, let them go to the police and complain. You need not answer to anyone on the roads. Period.
Old 9th January 2016, 08:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

An old thread but Shocking daring by robbers.

Breaking the car windows by brick even when the driver (in this case a lady) is in the car.

This upholds that even when your windows are rolled up, your items are not safe.

tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 23:33   #25
BHPian

Holy smoke! it think it hit the lady on her left hand hard enough to break a limb! if they can dare to this without a mask..huh! i don't know what to say!!
Old 1st December 2016, 21:32   #26
BHPian

Re: Gangs, Road Theft & Street Advice

Friends, be careful on the Bangalore-Mysore Highway:

6 highway dacoits arrested
Quote:
MANDYA: Police have arrested a six-member gang of dacoits who used to honeytrap their victims and rob them at gunpoint.
Quote:
When night patrolling police rounded them up and inspected their vehicle, they found a revolver, knives, machetes and other lethal weapons along with chilli powder.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/55712959.cms

Manorama also reports:
http://localnews.manoramaonline.com/...p-robbery.html
Old 15th January 2017, 10:23   #27
BHPian

Recently this video caught my eye. I could not establish the reliability but seriously Can this happen? He did this with some Salt + Saliva combination.

If true then this becomes a deadly combi.

rohiT Nonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 21:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post
Recently this video caught my eye. I could not establish the reliability but seriously Can this happen? He did this with some Salt + Saliva combination.

If true then this becomes a deadly combi.
Just saw a video on Facebook that had this clip plus other similar ones. That video says they used ceramic pieces (by breaking the spark plug).

Salt+saliva was a bit unbelievable!

Last edited by sanjaykk : 15th January 2017 at 21:27. Reason: Fixed URL
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 11:31   #29
BHPian

Passengers of Kozhikode-Bengaluru KSRTC bus looted
Quote:
Kozhikode: Passengers of a Kozhikode-Bengaluru KSRTC bus have been robbed of gold and cash by a gang of four at Channapatna, 65 kilometres from Bengaluru. The incident happened at around 2.45 am on Thursday. The bus departed from Kozhikode at 6 pm on Wednesday.

The driver stopped the vehicle at Channapatna to attend nature’s call when a 4-member gang armed with daggers threatened the passengers and robbed them of gold, cash and other valuables.
Read more at: http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/...bery-1.2205798
Old 31st August 2017, 12:49   #30
BHPian

Strange that they dacoits were exactly at the same place where the driver decided to take a leak. AFAIK and from what I got to know from these state transport bus drivers, they are not allowed to step down from the buses unless at the designated stops. This, I have noticed in reality too when these drivers don't budge from their seats even in traffic jams or any other cases. Wonder how the driver did so in this case

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks