Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 23:54   #1
BHPian

An unwanted B'Day Gift!

Today is my car's 3rd b'day, and it got it's first present right in the morning on the road, an accident!
A Santro rammed into my car from behind while I was stuck stationary in traffic at the JP Morgan junction on the ORR. I stopped after the junction to see the damage, and stop the culprit as he was right behind me. But by the time I came down from the car, he vanished into the street just before where I stopped.
A policeman was standing there watching the whole scene, and when I went to him he handed over me that guy's car registration number, and told me to goto the HAL police and logde a complaint.
And as for the damage, there is a full length crack on top of the bumper running along the boot door, one of the beams behind the bumper is almost out by ripping through it and some paint is gone near the number plate, means repair is out of question and needs replacement. Plus my neck took the complete shock and rammed into the headrest, and am still having the pain.
Now what should I do, lodge a complaint with the police since I've the car registration number? But I wonder how much will that help, even the police man will take some money just for lodging the complaint. Also my car is non-KA registered, so will that cause any problem?
Need your opinions on this!
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Lodge an FIR.

Additionally I would try to find the owners name using the online systems now available.
For example, if the car was AP registered you can use Welcome To TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRAPRADESH - INDIA

Then google the name.
Hopefully locate the miscreants name on the social networking sites like fb, linkedin etc.
Then try and locate if there is anyone common.

Additionally, inform the police about the person's location if the above mentioned trace worked.
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:06   #3
BHPian

The car was KA registered, not sure if I can post the car's registration number here. Also the thing is that my car is outstation, so just worried if the police may start to harass me to find non-state vehicle involved in the accident, as is expected from Bangalore cops!
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:07   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
The car was KA registered, not sure if I can post the car's registration number here. Also the thing is that my car is outstation, so just worried if the police may start to harass me to find non-state vehicle involved in the accident, as is expected from Bangalore cops!
Anywhere in India, Cops are the same. Up North, or Down South. Bangalore is no different.

Quote:
Today is my car's 3rd b'day, and it got it's first present right in the morning on the road, an accident!
A Santro rammed into my car from behind while I was stuck stationary in traffic at the JP Morgan junction on the ORR. I stopped after the junction to see the damage, and stop the culprit as he was right behind me. But by the time I came down from the car, he vanished into the street just before where I stopped.
A policeman was standing there watching the whole scene, and when I went to him he handed over me that guy's car registration number, and told me to goto the HAL police and logde a complaint.
And as for the damage, there is a full length crack on top of the bumper running along the boot door, one of the beams behind the bumper is almost out by ripping through it and some paint is gone near the number plate, means repair is out of question and needs replacement. Plus my neck took the complete shock and rammed into the headrest, and am still having the pain.
Now what should I do, lodge a complaint with the police since I've the car registration number? But I wonder how much will that help, even the police man will take some money just for lodging the complaint. Also my car is non-KA registered, so will that cause any problem?

A Sad day for you, That idiot will pay soon, dont bother tracking him down, There's no use.

Claim insurance,Get your car repaired.

You need to give a reason of " Damage on a Stationery car,by unknown vehicle"

Thats the only hasslefree option.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 22nd September 2010 at 00:09.
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

had it been in US, by now you would have received calls from salivating lawyers trying to extort maximum money for the proven "hit-and-run" case
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Anywhere in India, Cops are the same. Up North, or Down South. Bangalore is no different.
+1

Quote:
Thats the only hasslefree option.
IMO, I've to sadly agree with Pavan here;

I'd a similar experience when I was riding extreme left & moron out of no where dreaming & almost hit me; in order to avoid an accident, I brake hard & I slip down & fall. At that moment I was angry, went to traffic investigation department (fortunately I noted down his number) & lodged a complaint against him.

I'd to appear for RTO verification the next day & get an Accident Report (AR); but then the RTO inspector was kind enough to read the FIR loudly, only to find out that the FIR had been incorrectly lodged. So much for the cops

Then I didn't have time to go back to the station; about 6 months later I get a call from the cop stating that he needs to hand over me the copy of FIR, I go over there within a week & collect the same. This time it was all correct, once again, the cops suggested for RTO verification & due to lack of time, I dismissed the thought (they work only between Mon-Fri & not sure at which day of the time, they would verify the accident cases).

The cops told me that they arrested the culprit (who didn't even have insurance on his vehicle & it belonged to some other cop, who's his brother). But from TBhp I understand what the arrest means!!!

Its been more than 19 months & no action has been taken, the court has not called up anyone & I'm sure I'm not going to take AR or RTO verification. Even if I do, that guy is going to get away with mere sum of Rs 400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
had it been in US, by now you would have received calls from salivating lawyers trying to extort maximum money for the proven "hit-and-run" case
Aargh!!! Vivek, this is India, India!!!
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Asethi,

Too bad that the birthday tunred out be a bad one. I hope you had the car transferred to KA state with the required NOC. If so then you dont have to worry.

Simply rush and file an FIR with the nearest police stn giving them the details of the car which rammed yours as you have the registration no. If its KA registered, then take some time to go out to the RTO and get some info on the car owner. If you manage to get it, confront the guy face to face and settle it out of court. If this is not possible, then you need to wait for the cops to take some action.

Can you post the pics of your car damage? I hope you have notified the Insurance guys. Pls bear in mind even the Insurers would require the FIR copy to settle your claims.
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The car was KA registered, not sure if I can post the car's registration number here.
Use BTIS - Bangalore Transport Information System. You will not get contact info, but you will get the owner name and car details. I dont know how much that info can help you.

I suggest you to get your car repaired and claim the insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hi Asethi,

I hope you have notified the Insurance guys. Pls bear in mind even the Insurers would require the FIR copy to settle your claims.
If I am not wrong, it is not mandatory anymore! Not sure though...

Last edited by Selective : 22nd September 2010 at 09:40.
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Pls bear in mind even the Insurers would require the FIR copy to settle your claims.
Nope; to get the insurance issues settled, there's no need for FIR. If the insurance guys ask you the source of accident, you can state that you had this incident when reversing the car within your compound.

But for sure, you don't need FIR to claim insurance. I've claimed insurance atleast twice without filing FIR & the claim amount was about 8K.
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
No Issues if it is out stationed, you are not doing a crime by driving it here. You can still get an FIR done but be prepared. The shameless cops can fall on your feet for 10, 20 rupees to buy some toys for their kids.

Quote:
Anywhere in India, Cops are the same. Up North, or Down South. Bangalore is no different..
Why do we always have to come to this talk when Bangalore is upto something? "Bangalore is Different"

Let me tell you, Up North it's not the same. You can lodge an FIR without paying a single ruppee (my experience). Down South, I had to pay 200 bucks to the cop for lodging a complaint for lost DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Nope; to get the insurance issues settled, there's no need for FIR. If the insurance guys ask you the source of accident, you can state that you had this incident when reversing the car within your compound..
The FIR is ONLY required when a "human being" is hurt in an accident. For damages in vehicles, no FIR required. This does not depend on the amount of damage on the car.

Last edited by Googleman : 22nd September 2010 at 11:22.
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

get it repaired, claim it from the insurance. No need to lodge an FIR.

Claim, the car was parked at xyz location and when returned found the damage.

Forget going through the cops way.

These are part and parcel of life on our roads, where someone has to pay for elses mistakes.
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
get it repaired, claim it from the insurance. No need to lodge an FIR.

Claim, the car was parked at xyz location and when returned found the damage.

Forget going through the cops way.

These are part and parcel of life on our roads, where someone has to pay for elses mistakes.
Why does he have to lie about the accident? Why not simply tell the truth?
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Why does he have to lie about the accident? Why not simply tell the truth?
If you tell the truth and say that you have the registration number of the other car, your insurance company would definitely try to catch hold of the other guy's insurance company for retrieving the money claimed, and hence they might ask for the FIR copy, and have to follow a somewhat longer process!

In my case, I had two big dents on the front right door and rear left doors. I claimed that a truck hit me on the right, and I hit a car on the left in the same incident, and I DO NOT have the registration numbers of the other vehicles involved. No more questions asked, and I got my claim of 6.5K, even though my claim was for 4.5K (thats a different story how that happened - hope insurance guys are not reading this).

Last edited by buntydey : 22nd September 2010 at 14:53.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:33   #14
BHPian

Don't think twice and go to the police station and lodge a complaint.
If you want I am ready to accompany along.

Its not a fault with bangalore police or any other state police.Its the fault with us.
Who's stopping us from lodging an FIR.At least first we should do what is expected in such a situation and then comment on what police does or doesn't.

Its this attitude or rather laziness among us citizens which has made the police unworthy and lazy and not to mention corrupt.

If each and everyone of us doesn't let the crimes and injustice done to us just pass by without lodging an FIR then no one would ever do anything.

I know that saying is easy but converting into action is difficult that is why I mentioned in the first place that I am ready to accompany you.

PM me in case you need me to come along.
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:19   #15
BHPian

+1

I would suggest file an FIR, if you have all the valid documents to drive your car in Bangalore why to worry.

Most important thing is to teach people when they make mistake, I really wonder how can he flee from the place when he banged your car.

When he doesn't care about others, why should one. Go ahead and file an FIR, that way he would atleast be cautious next time and respect traffic rules.

I agree your case would be strong only if traffic police on duty tells the fact.

Most Viewed