Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 20:54   #1
Team-BHP Support

Sense Prevails in Mumbai Authorities

Well our authorities do make some very stupid mistakes and it seems like no one uses their brains. There are so many examples we see of it everyday, like bad speed breakers or senseless placement of signals.

Now ive created this thread to talk about the opposite i.e. when our authorities actually do something smart.

Here is what ive noticed, only 2 things for now -

Look at our Bandra Worli sealink. It was supposed to have reduced the travel time from the 2 places to 7 minutes. Of course 7 minutes is a joke because of a few reasons.
- The speed limit is set at a slow 50kmph whereas it should be at least 80kmph.
- There are rumblers and speed bumps ON the sealink itself. Infact these have probably caused more accidents than the reason they were installed (They were installed after some 7 accidents happened on the sealink). Some cars slow down to a crawl to go over them and cars behind speeding cannot judge and rear end the slow cars.
- On the Worli end there were 6 (Yes you read SIX) signals and 4 speedbreakers from the time you enter Worli seaface.

Now what I have noticed is that 1 speed breaker on each side has been removed, which is a welcome move, but does not make much of a difference since there is still a signal there. (there was a combo of signal + speedbreaker earlier). Instead of signals every 200 meters why couldn't overpasses for pedestrians have been made?

Also on the sealink itself they seem to be removing or have removed the speed bumps. That is a big relief. But those little reflectors which IMO probably mess up tires are still there.

But these still show that someone is still thinking a little bit. Now only if the speed limit was raised to something realistic.

Another example is Marine Drive, which is an arterial road. It is 70 year old concrete with patches of tarmac (raised) which makes the drive horrible. The concrete is far from smooth and there are a few potholes which have been covered up with tarmac which are now like speedbreakers.

Rs. 60-cr botox shot for 70-yr-old Marine Drive, News - City - Mumbai Mirror
See this article, I hope it gets implemented. It has been long due for Marine Drive.

Anyway the point of my thread is to discuss these issues and maybe point out SENSIBLE things we see the authorities do. Ive put the thread title as Mumbai but I guess it could include other cities too.
Old 30th October 2010, 21:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

It's rare to come across initiatives by the traffic police that can be 'appreciated'. Here's one I have noticed near SEEPZ, Andheri. The traffic moving from SEEPZ to Jogeshwari now has to take a service road running on the inside of the flyover. So they will not hog the opposite lane, blocking the traffic from Jogeshwari to L&T.
Old 31st October 2010, 00:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

Another thing ive noticed, is that patches which have been bad for years, are being resurfaced totally. All for Obamas visit. Like on Peddar rd or Marine drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks