Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 17:39   #106
BHPian

Re: Your On Road Signature (Driving Habits)

@zazer : great thread you've started! I'm sure there's a "safe-driving manual" type thread somewhere, but this thread can bring out more things to do and things to avoid!!

Here's my Pluses:
  1. Keep my seat-belt fastened always; AND make sure the one sitting next to me does the same.
  2. Honk only to warn others (many on the road use the horn to show their impatience)
  3. Drive with my headlights down and use the high-beam only in low-visibility or when asking for space to overtake
  4. Stop for pedestrians without exception
  5. As far as possible, try to leave the fast lane clear + move back to the left/middle lane after an overtaking manoeuvre
  6. look left, right, front and back before changing lanes/turning!
  7. keep my eyes and ears wide open for bad drivers
  8. use the indicators generously!
  9. switch off the engine at signals; and wonder when the government will put time-displays at all signals.
  10. and, the weirdest part : Salute when someone gives way when I'm trying to overtake, and hope he/she's looking at me in the mirror
Some things that i need to control:
  1. the urge to give rash drivers the finger (especially the ones that honk/flash too much). BUT YES, this works and the honking/flashing stops immediately!!
  2. bursting out at companions that try giving me driving tips when I'm at the wheel!!
Old 27th January 2011, 20:28   #107
BHPian

Few things i do,
  • Switch on the engine & then start wearing my shoes to get the engine fully ready for the day's work.
  • Check the tyres for the right pressure before leaving.
  • Ensure all the three mirrors are sparkling. I cant drive with dirty windshields and mirrors.
  • Trying to make my habit of not honking into a fine art whenever i drive or ride.
  • Make it a point not to get into verbal exchanges on the road.
  • Just leave the way for whoever is in great "hurry"
  • Not to switch on the high beam unless critical.
  • Not to take any calls on my cell while driving, if i forgot my bluetooth.
  • To compulsorily stop before the pedestrian crossing in a signal and not on it.
  • Not to start moving untill vehicles from the other direction has stopped at a signal.
  • Stick to the correct lane.
  • To allow pedestrian to cross first.
  • Predicting stops, turns and drive the cars accordingly.
  • Switch of the stereo while driving up or down a winding section.
  • To rev the engine with the clutch disengaged before switching off for the day. I do this for a technical point i read at TVS factory library at hosur few years back. Its written that, by doing this you get the engine & other parts coated with oil for the night.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 27th January 2011 at 20:35.
Old 27th January 2011, 21:05   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
To rev the engine with the clutch disengaged before switching off for the day. I do this for a technical point i read at TVS factory library at hosur few years back. Its written that, by doing this you get the engine & other parts coated with oil for the night.
A dumb question then, won't the oil flow down into the sump after some time? Unless we start the car within a couple of hours, what is the advantage?

I avoid revving the engine as much as possible when it's in the garage or a closed parking lot, because it fills the small area with Carbon monoxide and Nitrogen oxides - definitely not good for health.

Last edited by silversteed : 27th January 2011 at 21:07.
Old 28th January 2011, 11:19   #109
Senior - BHPian

^^ The point is to make the bearings and bushes 'wet' by throwing more oil on them, through high revving for few seconds. Normally after a drive, the bearings are hot and if you abruptly stop, the oil between the bearing's moving part tend to solidify or 'crack' in technical terms. By high revving before you stop, you 'cool' them a bit. That's the real reason. This even applies to the engine itself, because by high revving, the radiator cools the engine before it goes to stop mode.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 28th January 2011 at 11:21.
Old 28th January 2011, 21:24   #110
Senior - BHPian

It is better to idle the engine for a few seconds before switching off. And to idle it after a cold start. Prevents oil non-supply when hot and lets oil circulate properly.
Old 28th January 2011, 21:56   #111
Senior - BHPian

I pace vehicle evenly, no sudden bursts of acceleration, no unnecessary braking.

I always try to stop vehicle on the shoulder. Signal before making a turn.

Seldom wear seat belts. Used to wear helmet but not these days. Ofcourse, I seldom ride more than a kilometre or two at a stretch these days.

Try to chose lane in advance in cities.

Try to overtake from left, and succeed almost always ( in cities, ofcourse ; and on 4-lanes too these days).
Old 28th January 2011, 22:08   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

This I do without fail,
To idle the engine for a few seconds before taking off on a first start, and idling for a few seconds before switching off.

Cheers,
Old 29th January 2011, 21:30   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Seldom wear seat belts.
Quote:
Used to wear helmet but not these days
Quote:
Try to overtake from left, and succeed almost always
On a friendly note, i suggest not to write which are unsafe for riding or driving. This is keeping in view the overall quality of this forum and to maintain the same.
Old 29th January 2011, 22:13   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a friendly note, i suggest not to write which are unsafe for riding or driving. This is keeping in view the overall quality of this forum and to maintain the same.
Hahahaha, I agree these are unsafe practices.

But I do not think the forumers are influenced by how I ride/drive.

It is just that I mentioned how I drive.

May be by virtue of pure luck, I never had an accident in my more than 5 lakh kilometres of driving and almost equal number of kilometres on two-wheels. But I do advise and make sure my children are belted-up. It is just my habit I do not use seat belts regularly and not due to any ignorance or over confidence.

I do not see any quality issues here.
Old 29th January 2011, 23:16   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
@esteem_lover i know it gets difficult, especially with the motorist behind honking away like there is no tommorow. But want to thank you for not giving up, please stick to your guns, trust me the people will change one day.
I do stick to my guns saab and they are deadly ones, maybe even point it at someone who is too excessive on my bad day. But most days, I like to have a peaceful 3km drive to my office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
mdsaab,
Superb thread!
We shall and will continue to follow these basic etiquettes.
As you have mentioned below,someday,we will all get there.
Let not loose patience.Everything takes time and these are topics which need awareness and education.
I must admit though, i have seen many motorists (bikes, cars, buses or trucks) who do follow traffic discipline. When I get the chance, I make sure I show my appreciation to these good drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
^^ The point is to make the bearings and bushes 'wet' by throwing more oil on them, through high revving for few seconds. Normally after a drive, the bearings are hot and if you abruptly stop, the oil between the bearing's moving part tend to solidify or 'crack' in technical terms. By high revving before you stop, you 'cool' them a bit. That's the real reason. This even applies to the engine itself, because by high revving, the radiator cools the engine before it goes to stop mode.
You got me confused there. I always thought that revving the engine in idle inside the garage without proper air flow will only end up heating it more. Idling may be a little better, that was my thinking. People in the amby days used to revv the engines very hard before switching off just to charge the already half drained battery.
Old 29th January 2011, 23:29   #116
BHPian

When I was in the USA I have observed that all vehicle drivers respects pedestrians who are waiting to cross the road and wave to each other with smile, I was amazed and thought that can we do same in India?

I know this is not possible because of population and terrific traffic however I tried this most of the the times and it made me happy.
Old 30th January 2011, 19:25   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Hahahaha, I agree these are unsafe practices.
If you are agreeing, then you better correct it and switch over to safe practices.

Quote:
It is just that I mentioned how I drive.
If this is the way you drive, then i only hope that more luck be with you. I have been staying in Hyderabad (Begumpet) for an year & i know how guys drive in Hyderabad.

Quote:
May be by virtue of pure luck, I never had an accident in my more than 5 lakh kilometres of driving
Are you trying to say that driving so many kms without an accident guarantees no bad incident the next KM you drive. If so, please come out of this illusion.

Quote:
I do not see any quality issues here
We are not allowed to even discuss speed here, but then you are talking about the unsafe practices, which i am sure is not correct.

Afterall, the choice is left to you to correct yourself. I can only suggest so that one doesnt get into serious situation, than thinking its very funny.
Old 1st February 2011, 16:32   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If this is the way you drive, then i only hope that more luck be with you. I have been staying in Hyderabad (Begumpet) for an year & i know how guys drive in Hyderabad.
As you claim to know how people ride in Hyderabad, can you show Hyderabad's accidents are higher than corresponding metroes in the country. Not that I am supporting the maniacal driving : this refers to overtaking from left ( 2 wheelers only).
Old 1st February 2011, 16:35   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you trying to say that driving so many kms without an accident guarantees no bad incident the next KM you drive. If so, please come out of this illusion.
I am not a moron. Though I thank you for your suggestion that I come out of my illusion, I humbly declare that I have no illusions in first place.

Am neither a statistician who divides the number of kilometres by number of years or any such meaningless criteria. Infact, I had been very very modest about the number of kilometres I drove. It is just that I did not want people who drive in front of a computer start calculating how it would have been impossible to drive this many kilometres, ofcourse obviously, ignoring some vital info.

Actually I am thought this was a thread about driving habits; it is slowly turning to be Sri 3 Ravi Shankar's "Art Of Living" discourse.

I first bought helmet in 1993 ( wasnt compulsory then) and used it till 2008. Almost 18 years later I have to hear lessons about safety.

Last edited by simplyself : 1st February 2011 at 16:45.
Old 1st February 2011, 16:37   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are not allowed to even discuss speed here, but then you are talking about the unsafe practices, which i am sure is not correct.
Is uploading a picture of odo showing 120 kmph okay?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks