Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2006, 18:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Well one of my most memorable drives was in a brand new "Mitsubishi lancer" down and up the yercaud hills - a distance of 65 Kms in 60 minutes flat. It was a new Diesel Lancer which i was supposedly test driving to get a feel. I have evergreen memories of the drive and the great suspension of the lancer.

Another evergreen drive was when i maxed 240 kmph abroad and held on for another 15 minutes before slowing down. Just wanted to see how fast i could push myself. The car refused to go more...

BTW this is a great topic racing4cure..
Old 1st June 2006, 18:51   #47
Senior - BHPian

my best drive was when i was around 16 years of age and mom,dad and me set out to go to bangalore in our 800.We started at 3 o clock in the morning and as soon as we tanked up dad stopped the car and asked me to drive(he knew i loved driving) and it was the rainy season.MAN constant non stop driving till belgaum(550 km from mumbai)had lunch and again constant non stop driving till bangalore and it was raining quite heavily.It was so much fun and the car was a pleasure to drive on the highways
The 2nd best drive was although not driven by me was when i was around 12 years old and that time my 800 was brand new and had just come before a month or so.Got the first service done and after some days off we went to kashmir(dad mom and me).MAN i will remember this trip a lot.Saw Ladakh,leh and many other places there and the 800 not once did not give any problem nor did we once feel the car was not upto it for such places.
Old 1st June 2006, 19:39   #48
rks
BANNED

My best drive is on the Mumbai-Pune stretch on my Santro ZipDrive. Quite a scorching drive, and easily the best roads I have encountered for consistent high-speed driving. Timings given below are for morning (7-45 to 9-45) with relatively less traffic, but still difficult to reproduce --- some luck is required at the signals and toll gates to get this timing on Santro at least. Probably can shave off a few more mts. if this trip is taken late night or early morning.

Break-up of distance and timings:
Sion Circle to beginning of Expressway near Panvel (via Nashik Rd): 32 km, 30 mins.
Expresssway: 94 kms, 50 mins
Pune Bypass road (End of Expressway to Katraj bus stop): 31.5 km, 25 mins.
Katraj bus stop to Hadapsar: 15.5 kms, 15 mins

Total: 173 kms, 2 hours (7-45 AM to 9-45 AM).

Top speeds reached: 158 kph on the sloping stretch just after the Kamshet tunnels on the Expressway, about 120 kph on the Pune bypass road, 110 kph on the Sion-Panvel highway and 100 kph on the Katraj-Hadapsar stretch.

Other memorable drives are Bangalore-Mumbai-Bangalore on Maruti 800 (top speed: 125 kph), and many drives to Ooty-Kodaikanal-Tirupati from Bangalore and Cochin in Amabssador/Fiat/Maruti 800.
Regards, rks
Old 1st June 2006, 20:24   #49
DRC
BHPian

Most loving one: Bangalore -ooty- Bangalore on wedding anniversary.
Car :Fiat Petra 1.6
Bangalore Mysore in 1 hr 50 mins flat.
Climbing down the ghats through the Kalhatti route

Most exciting one: Munich-Salzburg-Munich
Car: Merc A180,
Crossed the 200kmph border for the first time. Had fisrt time driving in the snow experience, very beautiful scenic road.
Old 1st June 2006, 21:32   #50
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Every drive seems to be better than the last one. There's no end to it.

But, since we have to pick one out, i'd say it was the time I transported 5 people (including me), luggage and a tank full of gas......across 135kms of winding mountain road, at an average speed of 108.8 kmph. (Read that as 135kms in 1 hr 15 mins).

Satya knows and loves this stretch.

What made it special, was that i never felt the need to cross 120kmph. It was all down to saving time, through the corners.

FE on that drive : 14.5 kmpl (Don't you just love it when that happens)

Shan2nu
That is just amazing, to avg. 108 kph on a ghat road for an hour and a quarter, with a max. speed of 120 kph. Were you going uphill? You will need a fairly powerful vehicle to climb consistently at such speeds, but my guess is that it would be more difficult from a driving point of view to do it downhill -- you have to be pretty deft with the braking, gear changes and cornering.
Regards, rks
Old 2nd June 2006, 20:25   #51
BHPian

For any day, It will be a ride to Nandi Hills. Prefer going in Bike, In monsoon season, Its just amazing.. All greenery around watching Sunset there..
Old 5th June 2006, 23:00   #52
BHPian

Our amazing drive was from California to Grand Canyon (Arizona), wow this drive was ultimate and the roads there were awesome. Fo more than 65% we had drive on deserts sorrounding and once we entered NORTH RIM it was too chil and we had may curves and the awesome climate, greenary, the forest drive........

This drive would be one of my unforgettable drive and love to go again on any time if i get a chance.

CAR: DODGE STRATUS
Old 6th June 2006, 13:19   #53
BHPian

Some of my memorable rides / drives..

1. Bangalore - krishnagiri - Coimbatore - Ernakulam and back - 3 RD 350 HTs in full song...

2. Bangalore - Sira - Davanagere - Hubli and back - once with same 3 RDs .. and twice in a group of 6 bullets ... with just one 15 minute stop on the way

3. Bangalore - Hubli - Karwar - Gokarna - once in a Scorpio . once in a baleno

ofcourse masinagudi - ooty hairpin curves - 9 times so far
Old 6th June 2006, 14:15   #54
BHPian

Nonstop Hyderabad -> Bangalore.. To apologise to my G/f
Old 12th June 2006, 13:22   #55
BHPian

being chased by Abu Dhabi Police on a Honda CBX750 and he could not catch up with me. It was a memorable chase as i was doing about 210kmph in a 100kmph zone. I knew the CBX's top end and so i dared to take the chance.
Btw he could not have got my number as i was not stopped anywhere around Jebel ali if he had radioed, never recd any summon for this some 6 months back and also at my registration last month No Fine.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 12th June 2006 at 13:23.
Old 17th June 2006, 08:52   #56
BHPian

arunachal pradesh - a bike ride from a place called hyoliang to walong, a distance of almost 105 kms in over 5 hrs time. will try 2 post the pics but most fellow members wont have even seen such a remote place.

last fuel station : 230 kms

last electric pole : 225 kms
Old 17th June 2006, 09:00   #57
BHPian

hmm, i guess my best drive was chennai to trichy. Was around 14 at that time so it was kinda exciting. Didnt cross 100kmph but the weather was perfect so i enjoyed every bit of it.
Old 17th June 2006, 09:21   #58
BHPian

just forgot the bike was a "Hero Honda SS"
Old 28th June 2006, 09:50   #59
BHPian

Best drives so far:

While being driven: From Khajjiar, Dalhousie to McLeodganj, Dharmashala in an Indica DLS. The road is less frequented by normal traffic, only some enthusiastics and the state buses venture there. Maximum part of the road was wide enough for a state bus to drive. So every time we encountered one, we backtracked to find a wider part of the road to give it a pass! The scenary was breath-taking, and the steepness of the road - mind-boggling! Would love to drive on this road once.

While driving: From Gurgaon to Ranikhet in my Zen, most scenic part of the road being the stretch from Ramnagar to Ranikhet via Corbett. My wife was busy praying for our safety as I was new to driving, now she rues the fact that she didn't take photographs of the road and scenary around. For her to take pictures, I have to go by that road again sometime in future, may be while going to Kausani / Almora!
Old 28th June 2006, 10:36   #60
BHPian

best drive from bombay.

Hi all, Did this drive recently. From Bombay to kashid, murud, kolad, bombay.
The trip from bombay to murud takes around 3 hours via alibaug. Brilliant coastal drive - some superb places to stop and take in the scenery. The road till murud - janjira is well travelled and has quite a lot of traffic on the weekends but weekdays is almost empty - one vehicle per 10 km types. Almost every one retraces the same road back to bombay but this time we decided to go further from murud. Its a state highway so strictly one and a half lanes. Its around 70 odd km from murud to kolad. The road is super, a mix of twisties and mild ghat. It goes past small hamlets , some villages , lots of fields and dense vegetation. Most of the people you cross will be in the field. There doesnt seem to be any other occupation.in the whole trip till kolad we crossed 1 bike , 1 state transport bus and nothing else. Some patches are bad ( maybe 5 km in all) but the rest of the road is great. There are no chai / snack shops at any point till Kolad so stock up. We stopped at a hamlet of maybe 10 huts and had our breakfast. Were immideatly surrounded by maybe 10 kids on their way to school ( this is at 7am). shared our breakfast and we had some of their lunch. good fun. once you reach kolad u can take a right to continue on NH17 to goa or Left on NH17 to go back to Bombay / pune. All in all a great drive.

Most Viewed