Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 13:43   #46
BHPian

re: Toll on the Bangalore Int'l Airport road

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Ultimately, the state Govt. is hand-in-glove with NHAI; although the Govt. must've told NHAI they will oppose it in public just to make masses happy. They don't have to care anyway, toll will be waived off for official vehicles.
Totally agree!!

But more than coughing up the toll what I am worried is the jam that it would cause for the people who are hurrying to the airport to catch a last moment flight or to receive someone and already running late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Seriously, without providing alternate roads, they should not have been collecting the toll
Alternate road is there.But its worth to pay up the toll and wait for your turn to cross the toll gate rather than taking the hope farm route as it takes way more kms and time for the alternate route.Though I would like to say that the alternate route's roads are well laid and no traffic is there.
I am talking about the same route which Vid has pointed out.

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 26th April 2011 at 13:44.
Old 26th April 2011, 15:32   #47
BHPian

Devil's Advocate

Since everyone here seems to oppose this let me put a few points forward supporting this move and opposing the other points brought forward to replace the toll.

1. Increase the cost of using private/single taxi transport to airport

This logic is coherent with what most countries(eg. UK) or cities(Khan Market in Delhi) are trying to implement. That is increase the cost of using private cars and hence make public transportation more attractive. Though Rs 20 might not really push anyone to actually switch.
Also isn't there a regular bus service to the major city landmarks from the airport. Shouldn't this help or be the most convenient?

2. Charging the cess in the cost of the ticket

Just today the SC has shot down all development charges for the Delhi and Mumbai airports. I doubt they would have any legal standing to charge the cess for the road in the airfare.

3. People living around the toll

Just as people all over India get a pass from tolls near their home I am pretty sure they will develop a system for this one too.

4. Precedence?

Hell yeah!! As already mentioned on this thread Delhi and Gurgaon users have to pay toll just to access the Airport from their respective areas. Also there are multiple ways to avoid them them, but people do not go out of their way to use them as they are just down right inconvenient.

As for the City being tax heavy. My belief is that all cities(esp metros) will eventually head in that direction to avoid traffic/population from exploding and amenities from imploding. Banglore has just been ahead of the curve, as usual.

HR
Disclaimer: I dont live in Banglore nor have I visited it after the new airport opened.
Old 26th April 2011, 15:53   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yup from Hoskote. Whitefield residents can take this route. From kadugodi to NH207 and then take a left for the airport. It joins after the airport and you need to drive back towards the airport.

Distance is 50kms from Hope farm junction. Roads are decent. During peak hours its the fastest.

The outer ring road route from Hope farm to the airport is 45kms.
From what a member has seen (and posted a while back on this thread), there is toll booth coming on the opposite end of the ramp leading to the airport too.

So, NHAI seems to have covered all bases to toll all those going to the airport.
Old 26th April 2011, 20:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Totally agree!!

But more than coughing up the toll what I am worried is the jam that it would cause for the people who are hurrying to the airport to catch a last moment flight or to receive someone and already running late.
+1. This is definitely going to make the traffic situation worse.

Quote:
Alternate road is there.But its worth to pay up the toll and wait for your turn to cross the toll gate rather than taking the hope farm route as it takes way more kms and time for the alternate route.Though I would like to say that the alternate route's roads are well laid and no traffic is there.
I am talking about the same route which Vid has pointed out.
That route maybe an alternate route for people coming from the east, but what about people coming from the west, there are no other alternatives

If you have seen the Nelamangala toll road (NH 4 - NHAI), they have provided service lanes on either side of the road and people who prefer not to pay toll can drive on the narrow road. There, people have an option. If they want to go fast and avoid traffic, they will pay toll and go, or else they will manage with the service road traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_raiser View Post
Since everyone here seems to oppose this let me put a few points forward supporting this move and opposing the other points brought forward to replace the toll.

1. Increase the cost of using private/single taxi transport to airport

Also isn't there a regular bus service to the major city landmarks from the airport. Shouldn't this help or be the most convenient?
Not necessarily. I have taken buses to the airport in the past, it may not be the most feasible or the least expensive option available. A group of 4-5 people can take a cab and still save money on bus fare. I'm not sure how much the Vayu Vajra fare is right now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_raiser View Post
3. People living around the toll

Just as people all over India get a pass from tolls near their home I am pretty sure they will develop a system for this one too.
From what I read in the newspaper, there is a monthly pass available (I forgot the cost) and the movement is restricted to 50 times a month.

Quote:
From what a member has seen (and posted a while back on this thread), there is toll booth coming on the opposite end of the ramp leading to the airport too.

So, NHAI seems to have covered all bases to toll all those going to the airport.
The logic here is just to make as much money as possible and nothing else.
Old 26th April 2011, 21:17   #50
BHPian

And the most important fact that we are forgetting here is that the toll is being collected for the road that is yet to be built (this is what i read in some newspaper today)

Regards,
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:56   #51
BHPian

Just came back from BIAL.Had gone to pick up my in-laws.No toll is being collected as of now.Though the toll booths were occupied by the personnels and the charges were being displayed on boards.But the collection hasn't started yet.
Alter_Ego is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:13   #52
BHPian

Sad at how these things get implemented with ease, another way of fleecing the "aam aadme", though those going to airport are not that common, but still considering that so many scamsters are Scot free, this is pathetic. Why not have a "corruption toll" that every guy found to be caught in a scam/corruption deal should pay 10% additional lifetime tax to develop countries infra?
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:37   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Just came back from BIAL.Had gone to pick up my in-laws.No toll is being collected as of now.Though the toll booths were occupied by the personnels and the charges were being displayed on boards.But the collection hasn't started yet.
Thanks for the info. I was going to leave to the airport in a few minutes to pick up someone. Now, i dont have to worry about alternate routes!
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:48   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Thanks for the info. I was going to leave to the airport in a few minutes to pick up someone. Now, i dont have to worry about alternate routes!
Forgot to mention that plenty of roads are blocked due to some or the other construction happening.pipeline laying, metro rail work, elevated highway work so plan in advance.I was supposed to reach BIAL at 11:00 and ended up getting there at 12:00.Drove me really crazy.
Now need to go to airport next weekend too.So will leave home early.
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:38   #55
BHPian

well. Had been to the airport from my office (Whitefield) via Hoskote and while coming back came via the regular route through Hebbal.

While the road through Hoskote is very good, it would be about 20km extra for someone who is in South Bangalore. Obviously, it is simply not worth it neither to avoid the toll nor to save time.

Another twist is that, before you deviate at Hoskote, there is another toll gate. Toll collection is not yet started, but the point is, even if you do go via this route, you will still have to pay the toll.

Summary: Just pay and get going when ever the collection starts!
Old 29th May 2011, 23:23   #56
BHPian

The good news is that toll collection has been shelved for the moment due to massive protests and vandalism. I believe even if toll has to be collected it can be undertaken along with parking fee rather than stopping the vehicle, it will negate seemless travelling. Otherwise just add 20 bucks to the UDF the matter is solved, rather than halting the vehicle and burning crores of fuel and increasing emission at the toll gate.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:58   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
Otherwise just add 20 bucks to the UDF the matter is solved, rather than halting the vehicle and burning crores of fuel and increasing emission at the toll gate.
No one will accept this proposal!

What about people who come in the airport buses; 20 bucks from each? What about those coming to pick up; in that case, Bangalore airport gets the money for nothing!

And, GVK and NHAI are completely different entities; they wouldn't want to have their accounts mixed.

The only logical solution is shifting the toll booth to after the airport ramp.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th May 2011 at 11:23.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 11:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only logical solution is shifting the toll booth to after the airport ramp.
Do you think this is feasible?

This provides an excellent flaw to the design. people can just take the ramp, and a U-turn in the first round about and join the NH again on the other side

Simply not possible.
Old 30th May 2011, 11:10   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Do you think this is feasible?

This provides an excellent flaw to the design. people can just take the ramp, and a U-turn in the first round about and join the NH again on the other side

Simply not possible.
Man! That is some thinking!

But, considering the amount of unnecessary fuel wasted; sensible people would rather just pay the toll!

And not all using the highway would be aware of this loophole.
Old 30th May 2011, 11:12   #60
BHPian

I believe GVK is associated with BIAL rather than GMR, Secondly i am against toll booth before the ramp, the solution given by me to levy 20 bucks to UDF will tax and save time for flyers, or it can be incorporated in parking fee. The idea is to ease out the waiting time and to control pollution and buring of precious fuel. This is based on my experience in Mumbai wherein 60 odd flyovers came up in mumbai and they resorted to collecting tax by adding surcharge to fuel, simple. The people who go to pick up will never pay up unless it is embedded to parking fees. Accounting matters i would rather leave it to their respective IT guys. No offence only defence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks